• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
1 1
JaneWhoLovesRain

Canyon Bakehouse bread and xanthan gum

Rate this topic

I finally found a good bread and have been enjoying toast at breakfast for the last 3 days. Xanthan gum has given me problems in the past and I generally avoid it - I thought I would give it one more shot with Canyon's cinnamon raisin bread as it had good ratings.  I was doing okay until today when I was stricken with the worst abdominal cramping, bloating and di.  Looking at the ingredients of the bread it seems like xanthan gum is rather high up there, generally it seems to fall at the very bottom.  Does it seem to you that there might be a bit more than the normal amout of xanthan gum used in this bread?  And I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem with Canyon Bakehouse.  I was so happy to find a good bread and I hate to give it up but I can't go about feeling this bad.

INGREDIENTS:  WATER, BROWN RICE FLOUR, RAISINS, TAPIOCA FLOUR, WHOLE GRAIN SORGHUM FLOUR, ORGANIC AGAVE SYRUP, EGGS, XANTHAN GUM, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, CULTURED BROWN RICE FLOUR, EGG WHITES, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, ORGANIC CANE SUGAR, CINNAMON, YEAST, SEA SALT, ORGANIC CANE SUGAR VINEGAR, ENZYMES.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

10 hours ago, JaneWhoLovesRain said:

I finally found a good bread and have been enjoying toast at breakfast for the last 3 days. Xanthan gum has given me problems in the past and I generally avoid it - I thought I would give it one more shot with Canyon's cinnamon raisin bread as it had good ratings.  I was doing okay until today when I was stricken with the worst abdominal cramping, bloating and di.  Looking at the ingredients of the bread it seems like xanthan gum is rather high up there, generally it seems to fall at the very bottom.  Does it seem to you that there might be a bit more than the normal amout of xanthan gum used in this bread?  And I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem with Canyon Bakehouse.  I was so happy to find a good bread and I hate to give it up but I can't go about feeling this bad.

INGREDIENTS:  WATER, BROWN RICE FLOUR, RAISINS, TAPIOCA FLOUR, WHOLE GRAIN SORGHUM FLOUR, ORGANIC AGAVE SYRUP, EGGS, XANTHAN GUM, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, CULTURED BROWN RICE FLOUR, EGG WHITES, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, ORGANIC CANE SUGAR, CINNAMON, YEAST, SEA SALT, ORGANIC CANE SUGAR VINEGAR, ENZYMES.

Xantham gum. potato starch, and a few others are common ingredients that some of us get bad abdominal reactions to. >.< if you knew they made xantham gum from dead mold you might make much more effort to avoid it lol. But your not alone, there are many of us here that react bad to it. You mentioned it is pretty high up there...I am a gluten free bakery owner, I used to used it when I was learning as it was suggested. The average ratio is 1/4-1/2tsp to cup of flour depending on how chewy you wanted the finished product. When I started baking and found I had a bad reaction to it, I changed to guar gum. I will admit I have xantham sometimes in a nut milk, or a supplement but it does not bother me like say a pinch of the pure stuff (How I found I had a issue with was this test) Or anything with it baked in it....now clue why.  Anyway If your looking for a xantham and gum free store bought bread look up julian bakery, they ship you loafs in the mail about $10 a loaf but they are low carb, and made with expensive nuts flours NO GRAIN. and they use psyillum husk as a binder (Same Stuff I now use in all my bakery breads) Very simple ingredient list also. Cinnamon Raisin Bread from Julian Bakery Purified Water, *Coconut Flour, Egg Whites, *Eggs, *Raisins, Cinnamon, Psyllium Seed Powder, *Lemon Juice, Potassium Bicarbonate, *Stevia, Sea Salt. (*Organic)

https://julianbakery.com/shop/?fwp_product_categories=bread

Hi Ennis and thank you for your reply.  When I make my own muffins I usually use psyllium husk as you recommend.  I hope I've learned my lesson and don't buy anything with xanthan gum again.  As  a gluten free bakery owner would you say that xanthan gum is rather high on the list of ingredients for the Canyon bread?  To me it seems to be and because my reaction seems quite strong this time I'm wondering if it's because there's a high amount of the xg.

Thank you for the link to the bread, I'm glad to see the cinnamon raisin is also low in sodium, something else that I have to be careful of.

Thanks, Jane

Do you think it could have been the raisans? I know If I ate anything with raisans three days in a row, I would have those same reactions. Canyon Bakehouse Ancient Grain bread is also excellent. Maybe you could try that and see what your reaction is.