This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is remission really possible?

Bigchan

Bigchan Rookie

Hello, like most suffers of Celiac disease and Gluten-intolerance, I suffer from at the very least a couple Autoimmune issues. My question is, the only real reason I have completely restructured my life and diet is to see the antibodies to my thyroid and other areas to return to zero(0). Or, at least into the safe reference range. Otherwise, I would not want to even really bother I guess. I have been on the Autoimmune Paleo diet for a nearly a full year now and have seen improvements in my health, however, I have not quite seen a remission yet. I'm well aware that I still have one or more root causes to investigate that are inflammatory in nature (such as my amalgam fillings). But even so, I've reduced my TPO antibodies to a meager "48". This could be perceived as significant as many people see themselves into the "100s" or even "1000s". With the reference range being under "40" or under "34" depending on the lab, I've been but a sliver away from remission even despite having other root causes that could still contributing.

With that being said, I guess my question is, does anyone or has anyone here ever really seen the end, and gotten that far? Have you gotten completely healthy as far as you know and still had elevated antibodies? (I know that's possible as well, as we still don't know autoimmune disease mechanics thoroughly yet.)

But has anyone had Hashimoto's disease, and put it into remission with diet and maybe anti-fungals or whatever else may have been wrong in your specific case? Or does it seem like I'm unlikely to ever see gratification and reward from my flawless hard work and effort in the kitchen and else where?

-Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Bigchan said:

Hello, like most suffers of Celiac disease and Gluten-intolerance, I suffer from at the very least a couple Autoimmune issues. My question is, the only real reason I have completely restructured my life and diet is to see the antibodies to my thyroid and other areas to return to zero(0). Or, at least into the safe reference range. Otherwise, I would not want to even really bother I guess. I have been on the Autoimmune Paleo diet for a nearly a full year now and have seen improvements in my health, however, I have not quite seen a remission yet. I'm well aware that I still have one or more root causes to investigate that are inflammatory in nature (such as my amalgam fillings). But even so, I've reduced my TPO antibodies to a meager "48". This could be perceived as significant as many people see themselves into the "100s" or even "1000s". With the reference range being under "40" or under "34" depending on the lab, I've been but a sliver away from remission even despite having other root causes that could still contributing.

With that being said, I guess my question is, does anyone or has anyone here ever really seen the end, and gotten that far? Have you gotten completely healthy as far as you know and still had elevated antibodies? (I know that's possible as well, as we still don't know autoimmune disease mechanics thoroughly yet.)

But has anyone had Hashimoto's disease, and put it into remission with diet and maybe anti-fungals or whatever else may have been wrong in your specific case? Or does it seem like I'm unlikely to ever see gratification and reward from my flawless hard work and effort in the kitchen and else where?

-Thank you!

I know one member will come back here soon and tell you it is possible with hashi etc.  I know with my Celiac, UC, and some other issues I have gotten pretty damn good over the past 4-5years. Started putting on weight and body building. I work out daily, power walk over 14miles a day. And the diseases have made me strive to become a baker/chef that cooks specialty grain free meals, baked goods, etc. I even havea vegan line.

Try keeping a food dairy many find we have other things that can cause inflammatory reactions like dairy, oats, nightshades etc. I turned to a paleo/keto diet myself as carbs/sugar/starches all aggravate my UC.

You will see the light once you get down your perfect regime, you will slip but, sometimes also and need to get back on that boat....I myself just got glutened bit over a week ago by a gluten-free food that well....was not. Anyway, you just roll with the punches and keep it up looking for that light and going for it.

trents Grand Master

Bigchan, welcome to the forum!

Your narrative is not an uncommon one. Many report that after going gluten free they still show inflammatory disease markers in followup testing. I wish it were the case that going gluten free is the magic bullet that we all have expected it to be at the outset of the Celiac journey. As more evidence mounts over the years from medical science studying this disease it turns out it is more complex than was first thought. Gluten may not be the only trigger of inflammation for a lot of Celicacs. And there is something called refractory Celiac disease (unresponsive to a gluten free diet, no reversal). Sorry, I don't mean to discourage you. And certainly, don't give up gluten free eating. I think there is still so much medical science doesn't know about these kind of autoimmune conditions. In the mean time, do the best you can and enjoy life. Each day is a gift. Having a condition like this can take over your life if you let it. Don't.

cristiana Veteran
12 hours ago, trents said:

Bigchan, welcome to the forum!

Your narrative is not an uncommon one. Many report that after going gluten free they still show inflammatory disease markers in followup testing. I wish it were the case that going gluten free is the magic bullet that we all have expected it to be at the outset of the Celiac journey. As more evidence mounts over the years from medical science studying this disease it turns out it is more complex than was first thought. Gluten may not be the only trigger of inflammation for a lot of Celicacs. And there is something called refractory Celiac disease (unresponsive to a gluten free diet, no reversal). Sorry, I don't mean to discourage you. And certainly, don't give up gluten free eating. I think there is still so much medical science doesn't know about these kind of autoimmune conditions. In the mean time, do the best you can and enjoy life. Each day is a gift. Having a condition like this can take over your life if you let it. Don't.

Bigchan - welcome to the forum.  As Trents says, this isn't uncommon.  I've today found out that my TTG levels are still significantly elevated at 86.  Now I've been referred to a nutritionalist (again).  As someone who is stricter than most I'm very disappointed.

Trents - not meaning to hijack this post but these are encouraging words which I needed to hear this morning, too, as I'm having ongoing issues, five years down the line.  Bless you.

cyclinglady Grand Master

What autoimmune diseases do you have besides Hashimoto’s?  Your previous posting showed that on a complete celiac panel and endoscopy, that you were negative.  I assume you are diagnosed with Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.  Has the gluten free diet helped your symptoms (previously gastritis, etc.)? We also talked about lowering your TPO antibodies which were close to being in range while on your AIP diet.  I know of no known cure for Hashimoto’s.  You can help manage it with a good diet, thyroid replacement, excercise and reducing stress, but that is all that medical has to offer.  Be wary of sites that claim for a cure.  Almost anyone can feel better off the Standard American Diet full of processed junk foods. 

That said, I would stay the course on your new healthier diet.  I would not back track to a SAD diet full of junk food.  I would bet your health will be better off in the long run.  You might not see it on a lab test, but besides helping your thyroid, it might stave off other issues like diabetes and heart disease or whatever! 

P.S.  You might have better luck posting this question on a thyroid forum since your goal seems to be lowering your thyroid antibodies.  

I wish you well.  

trents Grand Master

I was diagnosed almost 15 years ago and have been conscientious about avoiding gluten. Yet, follow up endoscopies during those first three years showed continued SB inflammation. Other issues, like elevated liver enzymes resolved, however. So there was partial victory but also some disappointment. Another impact of Celiac on my body was that my total protein and albumin levels were below normal. I suspect that was the result of leaky gut syndrome or the aforementioned stress on the liver or some of both. Finally, in the last two years those total protein and albumin levels have both crept back into the normal range. I consider that evidence of gut healing but it has been very slow. I'm in my 60's now so the old bod doesn't heal as fast as it used to and I had celiac disease for at least 15 years before the dx in my early 50's.

So this whole experience has been like the rest of life, not all I had hoped for in the naivete of my youth but there has been a measure of healing, a measure of success. Complete healing in all of life's many facets awaits eternity.  

Archived