This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starting Journey

utahham

utahham Newbie

Hi,

I am a 24 year old male , with no family history of Celiac.  I have low testosterone.  they did a Biopsy today and during the scope the Doctor said I have Gastritis in upper stomach.  My lab are as follows:

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 132 90-386 (mg/dL)
F Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA 3 0-19 (units)
- Negative 0 - 19
- Weak Positive 20 - 30
- Moderate to Strong Positive >30
F Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG 2 0-19 (units)
- Negative 0 - 19
- Weak Positive 20 - 30
F t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG 21  H 0-5 (U/mL)
- Negative 0 - 5
- Weak Positive 6 - 9
- Positive >9
F Endomysial Antibody IgA Negative Negative 
F t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA <2 0-3 (U/mL)
- Negative 0 - 3
- Weak Positive 4 - 10

- Positive >10

I am wondering the probability that I have celiac?

celiac panel.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tessa25 Rising Star

Oops, you had the biopsies. They should let you know in a week or two.

utahham Newbie

yes, just trying to know what to expect.

cyclinglady Grand Master
11 hours ago, utahham said:

Hi,

I am a 24 year old male , with no family history of Celiac.  I have low testosterone.  they did a Biopsy today and during the scope the Doctor said I have Gastritis in upper stomach.  My lab are as follows:

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 132 90-386 (mg/dL)
F Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA 3 0-19 (units)
- Negative 0 - 19
- Weak Positive 20 - 30
F Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG 2 0-19 (units)
- Negative 0 - 19
- Weak Positive 20 - 30
F t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG 21  H 0-5 (U/mL)
- Negative 0 - 5
- Weak Positive 6 - 9
- Positive >9
F Endomysial Antibody IgA Negative Negative 
F t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA <2 0-3 (U/mL)
- Negative 0 - 3
- Weak Positive 4 - 10

- Positive >10

I am wondering the probability that I have celiac?

celiac panel.webp

You had a positive on the blood panel.  That usually means the next step is an endoscopy, which you had done.  So, now you need to wait for the results.   I can tell you that my doctor told me that everything looked good, but the biopsies revealed vill damage.  I also only had one positive on the panel (DGP IgA).   That was five years ago, some doctors have scopes that can now often visually see the damage.  

Hang in there!  

utahham Newbie

thanks

utahham Newbie

So I got a call and apparently I have upper stomach inflammation. Esophagus and. Mid stomach normal. There was no mention of the small intestine biopsy at all. Just that further information will be available at Monday follow up and continue omeprazol. 

I did go gluten free Monday after biopsy with dr approval and feel slight improvement.

Any thoughts?

exshuffleskater Rookie
On 1/16/2018 at 10:21 PM, utahham said:

F t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG 21  H 0-5 (U/mL) - Negative 0 - 5 - Weak Positive 6 - 9 - Positive >9

I'm not a doctor but from what I've read, this is the most important one (but only important when it's positive).  If this is positive, it's very specific to celiac disease.  Someone has to look at the biopsy though to see if the vili have been flattened or not.  The gastritis should have more tests also, I had h pylorii and it was treated.  But there was a myth going around that h pylorii protects from celiac disease so many doctors never treat it anymore.  Somewhere recently I saw that myth was debunked.  I mean, on science direct or something trusted like that.  So I'd specifically ask about h pylorii testing and treatment. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Utah — 

Maybe you just need to wait for that follow-up visit.  I can not believe that with a positive TTG IgG, your doctor did not bother to obtain intestinal biopsies.    Your result is not common, but it should have been investigated (sometimes the TTG can be elevated by other illnesses.  Some celiacs are even seronegative!  

Please be sure to obtain all medical records, including the pathologist’s report.  You might need to get a second opinion even if you have to go outside your network.  

Exshuttleskater is right.  What is the cause of your stomach inflammation?  Was H. pylori ruled out?   

Keep us posted when you get more information.  The doctor might not like posting lab results on the patient portal before he has had the chance to discuss results in person.  I like seeing my results, but many people freak out if there is anything out of the norm.  

Archived