This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Harry And David

hez

hez Enthusiast

I am waiting to hear back from the company. However, I am afraid it may take awhile. Has anyone ever had Harry and David's Pumpkin butter? Does anyone know if it is safe? The ingredients are pumpkin, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, salt, citric acid, ginger and natural flavors.

I am worried about the natural flavors and the ginger (it seems that tons of teas that have ginger in it are not gluten-free). I was a gift so I thought I would see if anyone had ever had this before.

Thanks,

Hez

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

while I don't know about that brand (though the ginger should be fine - ginger itself is gluten-free), you can make your own pumpkin butter by simmering (and frequently stirring) canned pumpkin puree with a bit of cinnamon and allspice, and brown sugar if you want it. takes a little while and you have to go low heat, but it's better than storebought.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I don't think they consider any of their products safe due to cross contamination.

hez Enthusiast

That is what I am afraid of is cross contaimination. I am still waiting to hear back from the company. That is if they ever get back to me. Oh well, my Dad will get it rewrapped and under the tree!

Hez

Merika Contributor

Tiffany,

Yum! How long does it keep in the fridge? And when you say a while to cook, do you mean like an hour or 6 hours or???

Thanks!

Merika

Tiffany,

Yum! How long does it keep in the fridge? And when you say a while to cook, do you mean like an hour or 6 hours or???

Thanks!

Merika

I haven't tested to see how long until it gets moldy :-) but I'm sure it'll stay good at least a week. I don't use much in the way of sugar, though, and that may affect how long it stays good.

As for "a while"... depends on how thin the pumpkin you start with is, and depends on how thick you want it. I usually cook it down until it's hard to keep it from burning on the bottom (THICK! :-D) (and I use a splatter guard, because that stuff starts "spurting" when it gets thick), and that takes about two to three hours. If I used a wider pot, it'd probably take less time than the standard 4qt one I used last time. It's definitely a "tweak as you go" recipe.

Here's a picture of it (along with the last proportions I used), proof that it may look a bit disgusting. :-) Open Original Shared Link

Merika Contributor

Tiffany,

Mmmmmm, that looks good. And are those muffins I see with it (hint hint)? Do you mean to tell me you have a whole cook book online??

Ok, let's just get right down to it..... :) When are you going to move back to LA and open a restaurant???? :D:D:D

Merika

Ps. I'll be making that pumkin butter as soon as i get back from the store on grocery day....what is it really delicious with?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tiffany,

Mmmmmm, that looks good. And are those muffins I see with it (hint hint)? Do you mean to tell me you have a whole cook book online??

Ok, let's just get right down to it..... :) When are you going to move back to LA and open a restaurant???? :D:D:D

Merika

Ps. I'll be making that pumkin butter as soon as i get back from the store on grocery day....what is it really delicious with?

I think those were banana muffins. If you navigate back to the recipes page off of my website from the pumpkin butter link, they might be there, I'm not sure, but there are a bunch of other recipes. I prefer pumpkin butter with quick breads - the hearty ones, but surprisingly enough, it's good on rice cakes too. And pancakes. I haven't tried it on other things, but I imagine it would be good on potatoes, or a baked crust on top of a more savory dish.

I'm afraid my online cookbook is in need of updating and expanding, just haven't had time. :-( Perhaps it'll get published some day... we'll see. I've definitely gotten a lot of good tips and ideas from everyone here, and in my life, so it'd have a pretty long dedications page! :-)

hehehe... if I win the lottery, I'd consider heading back down there, and opening a restaurant, but you'd have to help plan the menu! :-P

Archived