• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Reassurance Needed

8 posts in this topic

Guest LauraLatham   
Guest LauraLatham

I am newly diagnosed and have been gluten-free for 2 weeks today.

My symptoms were gastro-intestinal, starting off easily ignorable, and into 'I can't leave the house often bad'. I've suffered for 15 months before finally finding out what was wrong. (I went to a lousy GI at first who wasted time and money) I was diagnosed by biopsy and blood tests.

I was wondering if any of you with the same gastro symptoms as me could share how long it took for the bathroom problems to slow down or stop after you went gluten-free. It's been 2 weeks and while a lot of the cramping and pain has lessened the frequency hasn't yet. I am fairly certain I have not had any gluten sneak in as well.

I know it won't be an instant thing, but I can't wait until it does finally happen and I can get back to normal again.

Thanks.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

kevsmom    0

Laura - Welcome to the board.

Everyone here is so friendly and helpful. They will try to answer any questions you have. I know they have been very supportive to me :) . I have been gluten-free since Aprill, and have learned so much here.

From reading some of the posts, I have noticed that everyone is different in how long it takes for being gluten-free to help with all of the symptoms.

Have you checked into things like soaps, shampoos, lotions, etc. to make sure that they are gluten free? I know that I thought I was gluten-free until I read the label on the vitamins I was taking.

I also learned here that after I feed the dog (dog food is made with wheat), or giving her a treat, I need to wash my hands.

When I prepare my food, I wash down the counter first, or prepare it directly on a plate or paper towel to prevent cross contamination. This is a huge problem :o .

I don't want to overwhelm you with suggestions. Please write back with questions, and read the postings on the board. They can be very helpful.

Good luck!

Cindy

jerseyangel    409

Hi Laura--Welcome! and congrats. on getting through the first 2 weeks! I would add that 2 weeks is still a relatively short time to expect to feel great changes. The cramping and pain are improving, that is a positive sign :) . At this point, I agree with Kevsmom. Make sure that all the gluten is out. Toaster, collander, wooden utensils, countertops, personal care products, meds., etc. If you eat out, ask about all foods and remember cross contamination is a big problem with eating out. (I personally avoid it as much as possible). It is a gradual process, the healing, and is different for all of us. I didn't start to feel better until the 4th. month. You will feel a lot better--you're off to a good start. Come here and ask questions anytime.

Hello Laura and welcome to this great forum! :)

First, everyone heals at different rates, but it sounds like you're on the right track! For myself, my toilet troubles stopped within days of going gluten free. But, I did notice other foods would cause tummy problems. I became sensitive to cheese and yogurt,(the only dairy I ate) corn, and a few others. I notice that now that I've been gluten-free for 6 months, I can have a little of the mentioned foods with no reactions. But, if I eat to much or too often, I'll have diarrhea for a day or two. It takes a while to figure it all out, but you will, and you'll start to feel great.

Like some of the others posted, make sure you are completely gluten-free, this includes products that could get in your mouth, such as lotions, lipsticks, etc. It sounds complicated, but once you find gluten-free products you like, just stick with them. I find the best gluten-free body products at health stores.

Good luck!!

Charlene

GinaO    0

Hi Everyone....I am newly diagnosed as well...(December 8th). The question of 'when is it going to better' is the only one I have right now. The depression is killing me but I had my first cookie today....from a gluten-free bakery and I think I can see some rays of light shining through. I truly thank you guys for this resource and for all of you that I have read over and over again these past couple of days. Only today did I gather enough courage to join. Thank you again for your words of wisdom....I look forward to many conversations.....

Ads by Google:

Hi Gina, I'm glad you got the courage to join! This a great place to share experiences...good and bad.To get advice or discuss whatever. Have you tried the Kinnikinnick brand of cookies? I love the double chocolate almond. Even friends and family pig out on them. YUMMY :) There's alot of great gluten-free alternatives for treats. You'll eventually find more and more things that you're able to eat.

Feel free to post any questions, or ask for ideas. I still consider myself a newbie at the whole gluten free thing and often rely on the advice of this forum.

Welcome and Happy holidays to you.

Charlene

nettiebeads    1

Hi Gina and Laura!!! And welcome to the board. Healing rates vary with individuals and amount of damage done before going gluten-free. Other foods might be hard to digest for awhile due to damage. As you get better, you may be able to add some more foods back in. But right now, think baby - easy on the tummy types of foods. I've learned more from this forum in the past 4 months than I had in nearly a decade after being dx'd. I urge you to just browse the posts or use the search for specific subjects. It's probably all been discussed. But if you have something you need to ask, don't hesitate! No subject is off limits, we've all been there, read it, asked it. We're here for each other.

Ads by Google:

par18    0

Hello and welcome,

Symptoms as well as healing time will vary. I was lucky in that the symptoms that came with my positive biopsy went away after two days and never came back. This was 7 months ago. The single biggest hurdle I got over was realizing I was not going to die from malabsorption. The bloating, gas, diarrhea, and heartburn are gone. Once the body starts working the healing begins. I haven't been tempted once to cheat on the diet. I did not know I could feel this good. Stick to the diet and you will too. One more thing, before I got diagnosed with this disease I had no idea how the digestive system worked. I got on the internet and studied the process to understand where those pains and noises were coming from. Now looking back when I had symptoms I know what they were and why. Good luck to both of you.

Tom