This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Allergic To Tea?

Jeepster

Jeepster Apprentice

So much of what we celiac disease patients deal with is related to grass/grain species, I was wondering if anyone here on the forum was allergic to drinking tea? Does the tea that we drink have any protein in it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

I don't know about in general but I drink tea almost every day...I just watch to make sure that there is no soy or gluten in some of the mixed teas I buy. I found a neat Lipton Green Tea with Flavors, almost all of them had soy added.

jerseyangel Proficient

I've always been a tea drinker as I don't care for coffee. I usually drink Lipton Decaf. and have never had a problem--in the warm months, I drink a ton of it iced.

chaddwell Apprentice

I noticed that the Celestial Seasonings Sugar Plum Spice tea has roasted barley in the ingredients. I'm not a big fan of tea in general but that is one that I liked and haven't found any others yet. I think I read in another post not too long ago that CS does have tea safe to drink.

jerseyangel Proficient

I always liked the Sugarplum Spice also. :angry:

Guest DanceswithWolves

Since we are on this topic...Does Bigelow teas contain any gluten?

frenchiemama Collaborator
Since we are on this topic...Does Bigelow teas contain any gluten?

Search the boards for Bigelow, I'm sure that someone posted a response from them not long ago. I'm almost positive that they are gluten-free but just check to make sure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

About being allergic - I have always had a stomach reaction to black tea. Usually one cup is ok, but two days in a row or more and I get stomach problems and headaches, feels like burning in my veins. I have asked many people, no one had any idea. They always thought it was the caffeine.

I can drink green tea, and white tea. Last year I became aware that aspergillus, a mold family, seems to cause allergic reactions in me. I found many foods are made with this in fermented form - soy sauce/tofu/miso, the ingredient citric acid (fermented aspergillus and sugar), and black tea, among other things. Black tea is fermented green tea. White tea is very young green tea. Green tea is actually lightly fermented, but I have not found evidence that it uses aspergillus.

So it depends on the tea you drink. It could be an allergy, if you have problems with molds and your problem is black tea.

Good Earth teas are gluten free - they also say that on the package. For green tea, my favorites are from Peet's. I miss English Breakfast tea (I love the taste with milk but there is no green English Breakfast, only black) and found the white tea from Peets tastes/smells something like it, in a milder form. I am a huge fan of jasmine green, and the green with roasted rice (sencha? I can't remember the name right now) is also a nice one.

Stephanie

Guest BERNESES

I don't think I'm allergic to it but I can't drink any of it on an empty stomach. It will make me violently nauseous and sometimes I get a horrible burning feeling in my chest that only goes away if I drink a lot of water (I've had the smae thing happen with rum before- don't quite know what it is).

I'm pretty sure Bigelow is gluten-free, but double check. I do well with Lipton and tetley and the good thing about the Celestial Seasons is they will clearly label any gluten (bummer about the sugar plum).

pokerprincess Newbie

I DRINK TEA EVERY DAY AND HAVE QUITE A COLLECTION GOING. I ALSO GET NAUSEOUS ON AN EMPTY STOMACH AND ALWAYS WITH BLACK TEA. I RECENTLY BOUGHT ABOUT 5 DIFFERNT FLAVORS OF A TEA CALLED TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS. I WAS GETTING SICK BUT THE PACKAGE WASN'T CLEAR ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS SO I WENT ON THEIR WEBSITE AND TWO OF THERE PRODUCTS HAD GLUTEN IN THEM. IF THEY ARE MADE IN THE SAME FACILITY THEN "HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM". i HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH BIGLOW OR LIPTON. I HAVE HAD SOME ISSUES WITH CELESTIAL SEASONS. TZOA SEEMS TO BE O.K.

I don't think I'm allergic to it but I can't drink any of it on an empty stomach. It will make me violently nauseous and sometimes I get a horrible burning feeling in my chest that only goes away if I drink a lot of water (I've had the smae thing happen with rum before- don't quite know what it is).

I'm pretty sure Bigelow is gluten-free, but double check. I do well with Lipton and tetley and the good thing about the Celestial Seasons is they will clearly label any gluten (bummer about the sugar plum).

darlindeb25 Collaborator

If the ingredients are 100% tea, then there s nothing to worry about unless it tends to upset your tummy as others have mentioned. I drink tea often--I prefer black, but can drink green too. Many of the Celestrial Seasonings Teas do contain gluten, but they state it on the box. Anytime you are thinking of drinking a tea or coffee that is flavored, you MUST check for ingredients. Many of the flavored coffees contain gluten also. The list I go by says that all Bigelow Teas are gluten free except for chamomile mango and cinnamon spice! Just always read the ingredients. I dont have much of a problem with this because I Dont like flavored teas or coffee--I want original!!!!!!!!! :lol: Deb

Guest BERNESES

Poker princess- i had thge same problem with Yogi teas. I usede to drink their ginger tea all the time (prior to being gluten-free) because it soothed my stomach but the last and final time I tried it, I got glutened. went to the website and I forget what it said but either it wasn't gluten-free or they wouldn't guarantee it. Stick to the basics is my motto, Beverly

jerseyangel Proficient

Yup--I saw some Yogi Tea at Whole Foods recently that I thought would be good (it had cocoa in it). Because I don't buy things like that anymore unless I check on it first (too much money wasted on things I had to discard or give away), I checked the website. Under the FAQ, I believe, they said that they use gluten ingredients in their factory and it was possible that any product could be affected. (Words to that effect). Glad I checked first :)

pokerprincess Newbie
Poker princess- i had thge same problem with Yogi teas. I usede to drink their ginger tea all the time (prior to being gluten-free) because it soothed my stomach but the last and final time I tried it, I got glutened. went to the website and I forget what it said but either it wasn't gluten-free or they wouldn't guarantee it. Stick to the basics is my motto, Beverly

Beveryly,

ironically my intentions were good. One of the ones I bought was called "smooth move" which

actually worked but then I would swell up again even after being relieved. You are right. Stick

to the basics. Its pretty fresh for me right now. I stopped using the smooth move and bought more

with ginger in it that I loved. Not such a good idea. I geuss I will sell all of this tea on e-bay or something!

pokerprincess

aikiducky Apprentice

Hi everyone, and merry christmas!

My mom makes ginger tea by boiling some fresh ginger in water, then making tea with the water. It's delicious. It doesn't have to be done by a company, you can do it yourself! :)

Pauliina

so far, having a delicious holiday, knock wood...

pokerprincess Newbie

that's a great idea! Thanks

Hi everyone, and merry christmas!

My mom makes ginger tea by boiling some fresh ginger in water, then making tea with the water. It's delicious. It doesn't have to be done by a company, you can do it yourself! :)

Pauliina

so far, having a delicious holiday, knock wood...

Guest BERNESES

That is a great idea! Thank you- I miss my ginger tea. Pokerprincess- guess that Smooth Move wasn't so smooth after all :P Ugh!

• 3 years later...
BonnieM Newbie
So much of what we celiac disease patients deal with is related to grass/grain species, I was wondering if anyone here on the forum was allergic to drinking tea? Does the tea that we drink have any protein in it?

I drank 6+ cups of green tea from Kroger for several days -- it says "all natural" -- and started having reactions. This was regular green tea with caffeine. There's no mention of gluten or wheat on the package, but I know a gluten reaction by now. I was very upset. Regular black tea is not a problem.

samcarter Contributor
About being allergic - I have always had a stomach reaction to black tea. Usually one cup is ok, but two days in a row or more and I get stomach problems and headaches, feels like burning in my veins. I have asked many people, no one had any idea. They always thought it was the caffeine.

I can drink green tea, and white tea. Last year I became aware that aspergillus, a mold family, seems to cause allergic reactions in me. I found many foods are made with this in fermented form - soy sauce/tofu/miso, the ingredient citric acid (fermented aspergillus and sugar), and black tea, among other things. Black tea is fermented green tea. White tea is very young green tea. Green tea is actually lightly fermented, but I have not found evidence that it uses aspergillus.

So it depends on the tea you drink. It could be an allergy, if you have problems with molds and your problem is black tea.

Good Earth teas are gluten free - they also say that on the package. For green tea, my favorites are from Peet's. I miss English Breakfast tea (I love the taste with milk but there is no green English Breakfast, only black) and found the white tea from Peets tastes/smells something like it, in a milder form. I am a huge fan of jasmine green, and the green with roasted rice (sencha? I can't remember the name right now) is also a nice one.

Stephanie

Whoa! Black teas have aspergillus? I am allergic to mold--aspergillus specifically---so that may explain some lingering allergy symptoms I've been having. I drink black tea every morning. :( I gave up coffee because it was causing me problems, and switched to black tea.

But green tea is okay, and white tea? I like both of those. Dangit, one more thing I have to give up...but i do love green tea, and sencha tea in particular. So there's that. :P

Archived