This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Prelim Tests - What Are The Chances I Have celiac disease?

btf

btf Newbie

My family doctor did IGG and IGA testing after I reported various stomach-related symptoms. One was 74 and the other 123. Stopped gluten 4 days ago. Symptoms are diminishing. What are the chances I have celiac disease?

By the way, if the GI doctor I'm seeing next week tells me I have to resume gluten for further testing and my symptoms come back, I'm kicking him in the knee.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice
My family doctor did IGG and IGA testing after I reported various stomach-related symptoms. One was 74 and the other 123. Stopped gluten 4 days ago. Symptoms are diminishing. What are the chances I have celiac disease?

By the way, if the GI doctor I'm seeing next week tells me I have to resume gluten for further testing and my symptoms come back, I'm kicking him in the knee.

I really don't understand why drs insist on all of the testing. I'm not too up on bloodwork counts, but from what I've read on other posts, your numbers are elevated indicating celiac. That, plus your diet is another diagnostic tool that is indicating celiac. And betcha that if he puts you back on gluten and you follow his orders, your symptoms come back. With a vengence. You didn't mention what stomach related symptoms you have, but if you feel better eliminating gluten, why go for more tests and start healing now? Anyhow, I was dx'd by my good ole' gp by the diet challenge. No stomach problems and no D or C so long as I'm gluten-free.

Annette

VydorScope Proficient

You have a postive blood test, and postive diet response, what more you do you need?????

GI doc may want to do a endscopy, to "confirm" the blood test. Personaly I would tell him to stick the tube down his own thoart cause no more gluten for you!

But Im not a doctor, soooo take that as you will :D

jerseyangel Proficient

I agree with the others--if it were me, I'd concentrate on getting all of the gluten out of my diet and products. Start healing now, in my opinion, why make yourself sick again for a test when you already have had the blood work and the positive response to the diet?

janep Newbie

:blink:

I agree with the others--if it were me, I'd concentrate on getting all of the gluten out of my diet and products. Start healing now, in my opinion, why make yourself sick again for a test when you already have had the blood work and the positive response to the diet?

[size=2

Hi. I am brand-spanking new here and this is my first post. I am suspicious that I have celiac, so I am gluten-free. This is day 2. I don't really want to go thru all the testing to see if I officially have it. Last night was the first night I didnt have awful heartburn and acid reflux. In the past few years twice I was rushed to the emergency room (colitis attack)and have had emergency surgery on my stomach (a burst abcess) and the docs said they didnt know what was my problem or why. Never did they say anything about or test for celiac, and I wonder why? I have a lot of other symptoms associated with celiac disease and some of my relatives have gone wheat free or gluten free. I have a son that has schizophrenia and the only way to control it before there were medications developed that would work for him was by eliminating gluten for his diet! Thank you all.

nettiebeads Apprentice
:blink:

[size=2

Hi. I am brand-spanking new here and this is my first post. I am suspicious that I have celiac, so I am gluten-free. This is day 2. I don't really want to go thru all the testing to see if I officially have it. Last night was the first night I didnt have awful heartburn and acid reflux. In the past few years twice I was rushed to the emergency room (colitis attack)and have had emergency surgery on my stomach (a burst abcess) and the docs said they didnt know what was my problem or why. Never did they say anything about or test for celiac, and I wonder why? I have a lot of other symptoms associated with celiac disease and some of my relatives have gone wheat free or gluten free. I have a son that has schizophrenia and the only way to control it before there were medications developed that would work for him was by eliminating gluten for his diet! Thank you all.

Hi janep and welcome to the board! It's a shame that the dr's didn't want to know why you were having problems. A good thing about celiac is that it doesn't need expensive meds to control it. Just eating more natural foods (ie eliminating overprocessed junk) that are high in protein content should help quite a bit. Even when I'm 100% gluten-free, if I don't keep my protein above 50 grams a day, I get really tired and sluggish. My dr. dx'd me with the diet challenge only, and that was good enough for me. Keep us posted with your progress!

CMCM Rising Star

I'm not a person who has a whole lot of faith in the knowledge of doctors when it comes to celiac disease. The truth is, most doctors know little or nothing about it and they haven't treated/diagnosed it before, either. If most of them even know what the heck it is, they probably only know what llittle they know because they read a few paragraphs about it in medical school. They aren't looking for it, celiac disease isn't on their radar screen.

I have a boatload of symptoms that fit the profile, and a mother with diagnosed celiac disease (it nearly killed her before one bright doctor figured it out....back in 1968 or so.) On a gluten free diet, I'm hugely better. However, I obviously have problems with other things as well.....I got real sick after having ONE cappuccino with soy milk in it, and I've known for the last 20 years that dairy causes problems for me. For all these years (until I got to this forum, in fact!!!) I didn't consider celiac disease for myself because I didn't lose weight like my mother did--I always thought you would get thin, and I think a lot of doctors think this too!

So I'm left with the question of whether or not it's a combination of things, or if it's primarily celiac disease which in turn created an environment in which my body doesn't process milk protein, or if I have multiple sensitivities. After the first of January when the mail system settles down and the holidays are over, I'm submitting my Enterolab test samples so I can find out more definitively about the celiac disease, whether or not I have the genes, if I react to the casein protein and so on. This way I will KNOW and don't have to spend time worrying about whether or not my intestines are being damaged by gluten. I'll know just how serious I have to be about my avoidance of gluten I've eliminated the obvious gluten, but I still haven't been scrupulous about the hidden gluten ingredients. The test will end the speculation and tell me what I need to do. Since I have avoided wheat products for the most part for the last few months, and have totally avoided all gluten as much as possible for over a month, a blood test would be an expensive shot in the dark for me at this point. That's why I decided to try the Enterolab test.

Finally, I'm just not going to put myself in the hands of a doctor who is casting blindly about doing test after test and trying to luck into some sort of clarification thru trial and error....and at the expense of my own pocketbook, too!

For those who get severely sick from any gluten exposure, the necessity of dietary changes is obvious. But for those who get somewhat annoying yet tolerable negative results from eating gluten, they probably have a greater need to get some solid answers beyond the diet. For example, if I test positive on the gluten end of things but negative on the casein, I might be able to assume that after a period of gluten free time my intestines might be able to handle limited dairy. If I test with a reaction to casein, I have to proceed differently. I just feel a need to know one way or the other. I need that perspective, and if I definitely have celiac disease, I will have a stronger motivation to stay clear of gluten forever.

What a pain all this is! But I'm glad to have found this forum,I have learned so much from everyone! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The blood tests were high so I would definitely think you have celiac. All of the tests were not done but those are high enough and you had symptoms so thats really evidence enough. When you are gluten free you should not do testing because that makes tests inaccurate. If symptoms are now going away that looks like gluten was in fact your problem but do not expect to be 100% better so quick...sometimes it takes months to feel better. You need to be 100% gluten free including products like lotions, shampoos, makeups, etc.

janep Newbie
Hi janep and welcome to the board! It's a shame that the dr's didn't want to know why you were having problems. A good thing about celiac is that it doesn't need expensive meds to control it. Just eating more natural foods (ie eliminating overprocessed junk) that are high in protein content should help quite a bit. Even when I'm 100% gluten-free, if I don't keep my protein above 50 grams a day, I get really tired and sluggish. My dr. dx'd me with the diet challenge only, and that was good enough for me. Keep us posted with your progress!

Deat Nettiebeads,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, too much protein can make me feel creepy, and I appreciate the reminder. This is Day 3. Even tho I am eating starches: rice, corn, potatoes, I am CRAVING wheat! The taste and texture of it! The craving tells me that I am allergic or intolerant.

By the way, Nettiebeads, I love beads and do lots of beadwork.

Janep

nettiebeads Apprentice
Deat Nettiebeads,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, too much protein can make me feel creepy, and I appreciate the reminder. This is Day 3. Even tho I am eating starches: rice, corn, potatoes, I am CRAVING wheat! The taste and texture of it! The craving tells me that I am allergic or intolerant.

By the way, Nettiebeads, I love beads and do lots of beadwork.

Janep

Ah, you're the first one that got it!!!! My bead corner in my workroom is getting real crowded. I may have to cut back on my sewing material :o ! Can't live without my beading or my sewing. I actually have three comissioned pieces to work on this coming month. Three tumbled nuggets to be wire-wrapped, which I've never done, and the necklaces to put them on. The lady trusts me for my bead stringing, she's always admiring my peices when I wear them to work. Taught myself to do loomwork when I was 8 or 9. What do you like to do? PM me if you would like. And where are you located?

janep Newbie
Ah, you're the first one that got it!!!! My bead corner in my workroom is getting real crowded. I may have to cut back on my sewing material :o ! Can't live without my beading or my sewing. I actually have three comissioned pieces to work on this coming month. Three tumbled nuggets to be wire-wrapped, which I've never done, and the necklaces to put them on. The lady trusts me for my bead stringing, she's always admiring my peices when I wear them to work. Taught myself to do loomwork when I was 8 or 9. What do you like to do? PM me if you would like. And where are you located?

Hey, Nettiebeads! Wow, taught yourself to loom when you were a kid? That's amazing. I like to do small seed bead peyote stitch or brick stitch with gemstome bead accents. I have done wire wrapping: it's fun, you'll like it. I am currently in Albuquerque, NM --but we are moving very soon to Grand Junction, CO. Anyhoo, I am noticing that my skin is becoming smooth and soft now that I am off of gluten. Inside my mouth, too. Thanks, Jane

Archived