This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Metamucil

smack

smack Rookie

I went to my quarterly Celiac association meeting (Toronto, Canada Chapter) last night and found out the Metamucil is gluten-free, I had no idea and had been avoiding it as I thought it was wheat derived. The dietician panel also said that as it is a natural fibre it is safe to consume on a regular basis and is a good source of added fibre for people with celaics! Great news I thought I would share for those like me who did not know it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Evelyn's mom

Hello,

I am brand new to this, just registered last night. I'm not new to Celiac Disease however, my daughter, Evelyn, was diagnosed in Aug 02. She's now almost 3 and seems to be fully recovered from all of her initial symptoms. She does have constipation quite regularly now. Since I noticed this was about Metamucil, I thought you might know if this is normal? I did know Metamucil is gluten-free and I alternate that with prune juice with her to "get things moving".

I'm quite diligent about her gluten-free diet but have to admit I havn't taken her back to a doctor since her diagnosis.....due to lack of faith in them. Our quest to find a diagnosis for her was typical. She had severe diarrhea and weighed 13 lbs. at 13 months old, large swollen stomach, frail small features...from what I've read, the most typical, easiest to diagnos symptoms...of course our pediatrician was stumped and ordered up every test under the sun for her until my husband and I researched her symptoms online and found a Pediatric GI in Madison, WI who is originally from Hungary. He took one look at her and knew just as we did, it had to be Celiac.

So if anyone has a similar experience with a recovering yet constipated child I'd love some insight. Is this normal or am I missing something?

Thank you!

RaeAnn

smack Rookie

I find that unless I mke a conscious effort to inlude a lot of fibre in my diet, I experience constipation. Although prior my diagnosis I was also constipated, I didn't experience the diarhea that others have spoken about on these boards. So as for going from diarhea to constiption being normal, I'm not sure. Someone on the parents board might be able to give you more insight into what to expect with bowel movements in healing children.

Good luck!

Guest Evelyn's mom

Thank you!

I'm just finding my way around this board and have found the parents section now. It is interesting however to get info from older celiacs that can talk about their symptoms. Have you implemented flax seed into your diet at all? I just bought some Bob's Red Mill flax and thought I'd add it to the gluten-free bread I bake. Any info?

Thanks,

RaeAnn

tarnalberry Community Regular

You can also add the ground flax seed to smoothies. I add two tablespoons for the omega-3's and protein.

plantime Contributor

I add a teaspoon of ground flax seed to my oatmeal, and use it for egg substitute in my pancakes. I have not noticed any change in the taste, so it is an easy change to adjust to.

kejohe Apprentice

Just FYI, here is the e-mail response I got from a rep of the company, I wanted to verify that the US product was also gluten-free, becuase a concern was raised that the US and Canadia products may not be processed the same...

Response (Amy) - 04/23/2004 08:05 AM

Thanks for writing, Kathleen.

You'll be happy to know Metamucil powder and capsules are gluten-free. Metamucil Wafers contain gluten because of the wheat flour in them.

If you have additional questions or concerns, we're just an e-mail away.

Amy

Metamucil Team

Consumer - 04/22/2004 07:04 PM

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

smack Rookie

I have also used flax seed in yogurt, 2 tbsp gave relieve from constipation in 24 hours, although it did cause some cramping for me. But it sure does work. I've also used in muffins, it added a kind of nutty taste I enjoyed! Your daughter might enjoy in baked goods or smoothies as Tarnalberry suggested, mixed with yogurt the flavour can be a bit over powering and might not be to a child's liking (I can safely say I wouldn't have liked the taste as child but as an adult I can bear knowing it's for the greater good of my bowels ; )

Another alternative are gluten-free baked beans, I get a lot of fibre from baked beans, I've always loved them warmed on top of toast!

Archived