This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Who Knows About Buckwheat?

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I remember reading that Buckweat isnt actually a grain...its a berry...I think. :unsure:

Anyways I'm doing a salicylate-free diet and all berries are high in salicylates. I have a list of "safe" foods and buckwheat is listed as "safe" but its also listed as a grain. I KNOW its not a grain....but what exactly is it?

I've been eating it and seem to be reacting to it although I'm not 100% sure. I've stopped eating it now to see if the symptoms go away.

I tried to research it but couldnt really come up with anything definite...nothing about it being a berry either. I did read more than once that its an herb. If thats the case it would be high in salicylates since pretty much all herbs and spices are.

I need to know why I'm reacting to buckwheat...is it gluten cross contamination (I doubt it) or is it an herb or berry (salicylates)? The brand is Poconos...its a hot cereal I bought at Whole Foods. I also reacted to Bob's Buckwheat flour.

Anyone know??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Here is a link to a good description of buckwheat:

Open Original Shared Link

It is in the same family as rhubarb.

Buckwheat flour is not always 100% pure buckwheat, and may contain wheat. You have to check.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks for the link Peter. :)

lorka150 Collaborator

hey,

i'm allergic to buckwheat, and it's in the same family as rhubarb and sorrel (the Polygonaceae family).

the 'safe grains' you can eat while consuming low salicylates are barley, buckwheat, millet, oats, rice, rye and wheat. so basically, you should be cool with buckwheat, millet and rice.

i don't know if this helps, but i do know that bananas, peeled pears, mild veggies (cabbage, celery, lettuce), unprocessed meats, salt and soy sauce, carob, tofu, decaf coffee, milks, and water are the lowest in salicylates.

there are others that are also very low, but these have virutally none.

Archived