This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Really Interesting Article On How It All Began...

Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Open Original Shared Link

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

thanks! will check it out!

debbiewil Rookie

Very good article. Took a bit of concentration to fully understand - I had to read some parts a couple of times, but definately a keeper for my files.

Debbie

jenvan Collaborator

printed if off, will read on lunch break :)

It's definitely the most detailed and comprehensive explanation about what has happened to wheat and also about gene pools that I have ever seen......

Karen

VydorScope Proficient

Dont know that I can focus long enough to read all that! :huh:

Dont know that I can focus long enough to read all that! :huh:

What's wrong VydorScope, all of a sudden unable to concentrate? :P;):lol:

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
What's wrong VydorScope, all of a sudden unable to concentrate? :P;):lol:

Karen

BAD KAREN! BAD! BAD! BAD! :lol::lol:

BAD KAREN! BAD! BAD! BAD! :lol::lol:

That's why my husband loves me so much! :P:lol:

Karen

Carriefaith Enthusiast

That is an interesting article. Thanks Karen :)

If you are interested in this topic, I suggest reading the Paleo Diet by Dr. Loren Cordaine. I've been reading this book and I think that it's great! Here is a link:

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks Carrie! I signed up for their newsletter! Very interesting......

Karen

jenvan Collaborator

Carrie-

So you do like the book? Did you read Dangerous Grains too? Are you trying to do the diet yourself?

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I really like the book and I find that the information is quite interesting and that it makes a lot of sense. I "sort of" follow the diet anyway since I am gluten and dairy free; however, I do eat rice, some legumes, salt, and sugar. I am trying to cut back on the salt and sugar though. I'm replacing them with honey and other spices.

I haven't read dangerous grains, is it a good book?

• 4 weeks later...
munchkinette Collaborator

Interesting article. I'm still new with all this but I have some books on the way right now.

Has anyone read the book Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond? I'm about a third of the way through this. It actually relates to this article. His position is that the dominance of the Western World (techologically, politically, etc) in recent times can be traced back to a number of factors. One of these factors is food production and the domestication of partiular grains. A whole section is devoted to this subject. There's no mention of things like food intolerances (yet; I'm only 1/3 through) but it does go into detail about some of the topics in the posted article.

Also, I had no idea that things like seizures were linked to wheat problems. Crazy. I had one seizure in high school and they had no idea why. Everything checked out fine. That was about 13 years ago but I've only felt my recent problems (like anemia) for 3 years. I wonder if it's related....

Idahogirl Apprentice

I lost interest when he started talking about evolution. No, thanks. If that's his starting point, I'm not interested in any of the rest of his conclusions.

Lisa

• 4 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Thank you for posting that. I will do the same and print it out and read.

One of my great great grandfathers was well know in american history -- he had a plantation and grew wheat. I totally believe without question that there is a direct connection in celiac disease in my family today generation later having a bad genitic gene.

CMCM Rising Star
I really like the book and I find that the information is quite interesting and that it makes a lot of sense. I "sort of" follow the diet anyway since I am gluten and dairy free; however, I do eat rice, some legumes, salt, and sugar. I am trying to cut back on the salt and sugar though. I'm replacing them with honey and other spices.

I haven't read dangerous grains, is it a good book?

Carrie...you've got to get Dangerous Grains. It was actually the first book I read on this subject, and after having finished about 5 or 6 of them at this point, it's still the best and most eye-opening. Actually, it's a book EVERYONE who eats food ( :lol::lol: ) should read. People need to know this stuff whether they are celiac or not!

Archived