This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat In Face Creams

CMCM

CMCM Rising Star

Do any of your get specific reactions if you use a facial cream/lotion etc. with wheat in it? Anything truly noticeable? Or do you just avoid it in principle? Just curious about how strict one has to be with these things.....all my favorite Clinique creams have wheat in them. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I've never used (I don't think) a face cream with wheat in it, but I have gotten a reaction from hair gel, soap, lipstick(naturally), and a facial cleanser. The reactions were all digestive--the soap also made me very itchy, although no rash or anything. I find that it's just too easy for the product to get into my mouth, so I use only products that are gluten-free and made in a gluten-free facility--if at all possible. I used to be such a product junkie, and I miss some of the nicer things I used to use. I really feel better now, though, so it's worth it for me.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Anything that goes on your face could potentially end up in your mouth through sweating. I've been glutened by a suntan lotion with oat extract.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Do any of your get specific reactions if you use a facial cream/lotion etc. with wheat in it? Anything truly noticeable? Or do you just avoid it in principle? Just curious about how strict one has to be with these things.....all my favorite Clinique creams have wheat in them. :(

I get my neuro symptoms, (depression, ataxia), my skin symptoms, DH sores, and a tummy reaction. Esentially the same symptoms I get from crosscontamination. Not as severe as the rare occasions when I miss something on a label but still a systemic reaction. I avoid all gluten, I even check pet foods and washing detergents.

Lisa Mentor

CMCM

I would definately not use any face cream with wheat. Too close to your mouth. I use lubridurm and burts bee (which is wonderful).

laurelfla Enthusiast

CMCM, i totally feel you on the products.. the only moisturizer i've ever fallen in love with (Estee Lauder) has a couple of kinds of wheat in it. :( so i got rid of it. right now i'm using Neutrogena and Oil of Olay alternately but i don't like the feel of either of them. i may check into Bare Escentuals and see if i like their stuff. i don't worry about all products necessarily -- like my shaving gel has oats in it -- but anything on my face is gluten-free.

jnclelland Contributor

Which Clinique lotions/creams have wheat in them? I love their Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, and I didn't notice anything in the ingredients that sounded like gluten to me. Did I miss something?

Jeanne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CMCM Rising Star
Which Clinique lotions/creams have wheat in them? I love their Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, and I didn't notice anything in the ingredients that sounded like gluten to me. Did I miss something?

Jeanne

I emaiiled Clinique for a list of all their wheat products but haven't received an answer yet. Meanwhile, 3 that I was using that have wheat listed are: Repairwear Day SPF Intensive cream, Repairwear Deep Wrinkle Concentrate for face and eye, and Repairwear intensive eye cream. I don't know about the Dramatically Different one. My mom used it for a long time but then stopped. And you have to watch out because formulations change. And my favorite lotion on earth is Estee Lauder Idealist Skin Refinisher has wheat, as does Origins Night-a-Mins cream, which I also love (fabulous smell). Boo hoo hoo.

I was looking at L'Oreal creams yesterday, also Elizabeth Arden, and they don't appear to have any in them.

One thing I wrote Clinique was that since they advertise themselves as being hypoallergenic, why would they put wheat in so many of their products. We'll see what they say, if anything.

It sort of looks like the expensive lotions etc. might have wheat in many cases. I obviously have to read labels like crazy now. WHY WHY WHY would they put wheat in these things. :angry::(:(

sspitzer5 Apprentice

I was having a reaction from the soap I used in the shower (and washed my face with). My primary symptom was headaches. They seem to be getting better now that I switched to one without wheat. I think I was getting it in my eyes when I put my contacts on. Anyway, I'm really careful with lotions, cosmetics, etc. now. Just in case, I never put any lotion on before I put my contacts on.

CMCM Rising Star
I was having a reaction from the soap I used in the shower (and washed my face with). My primary symptom was headaches. They seem to be getting better now that I switched to one without wheat. I think I was getting it in my eyes when I put my contacts on. Anyway, I'm really careful with lotions, cosmetics, etc. now. Just in case, I never put any lotion on before I put my contacts on.

My favorite facial soap is Cetaphil liquid. It's just wonderful, and nothing irritating in it. I get it from Costco...$15 or so for two huge pump bottles. That's the best buy I've seen anywhere. In the drugstores etc. it's usually around $12-$13 for ONE bottle. I've used this for years.

I may end up having to use Cetaphil lotion, too. Or something similar that is really simple. I, too, was a product junkie, always looking for the best lotions and creams. Now, in addition to a gazillion weird ingredients, most creams seems to contain wheat AND soy, both of which I can't eat, so therefore I probably shouldn't put them on my skin, either. I would always see the skin reactions to various things I would try (redness and a feeling of burning, usually), but a lot of the ones which I love did not APPEAR to bother me even though they had wheat and/or soy in them. But now I guess I can't be sure if the reaction might have been intestinal rather than on the skin.

Becky6 Enthusiast

Dramatically different moisurizing cream from Clinique is gluten-free! It is in a post in the the medications and foods forum. From a email response from the company. I use it with no problem. And I did have one with wheat that was causing what I believe is dh.

CMCM Rising Star
Dramatically different moisurizing cream from Clinique is gluten-free! It is in a post in the the medications and foods forum. From a email response from the company. I use it with no problem. And I did have one with wheat that was causing what I believe is dh.

That's good to know! Today I returned several Clinique items to Nordstrom's and while there, I was reading the product box labels....I didn't do the DDML lotion but every other darn one I looked at had some type of wheat in it.

Since I can't eat soy, I guess I need to avoid products with soy as well. These two items (wheat and soy) really rule out a LOT of commercial creams. :angry:

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I had what appears to be a DH reaction to a L'oreal product. Neutrogena has a long list of gluten-free products -- their newest microdermabrasion system contains LOTS of wheat, though. With regard to Bare Escentuals, I use their make-up; however, their skin revver-upper contains oat derivative. I've written to several companies -- neutrogena gave me their "safe" list, and Almay would give me information on specific products, not just a blanket list. All of the Estee Lauder companies (Lauder, Clinique, Bobbie Brown, Mac, Prescriptives, L'oreal and Jane) will not state that their products are gluten-free because they do not ask their materials providers if their products contain gluten. Long answer to a short question. Sorry :(

tiffjake Enthusiast

I used to use a lot of name brand stuff and I just wanted to know what was in my stuff after all of the gluten struggles. I switched to a brand called Eminence that is organic and is really really nice. It is pricey, but it is well worth it. My skin feel so much better, and the ingredients list reads like something you could hand a child. No big words that leave you wondering what you are putting on your face. My moisturizer is called Thermal Spring Whip Moisturizer and has the following list:

Ingredients:

Peppermint

Vanilla

Thermal Spring Water (Lake Hajduszoboszlo)

Sulphuric Spring Water

Glycerin

Citric Acid (Vitamin C)

Sterin

Ethyl Alcohol (from natural sources)

Soyamine

Sunflower Glycerides

Aquarex

Nipagin

It is made in Hungry, but there is a toll free number for Canada I think 1-888-747-6342

I get mine from my local spa that has really worked with me to find safe skin care and help me to heal my body. My skin totally reacts to heavy wheat germ in products. I feel puffy, swollen, and hot to the touch. I have heard that the gluten molecule is too big to pass through the skin, but I have acne and I think that it gets in the open holes (you know what I mean) in my face. I can tell a difference in just usind different moisturizers made by this one company when one of them has wheat germ oil in it. Good Luck to you!!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

I use Bare Escentuals makeup--and have since before I knew about gluten! I just really like it, and was so happy that it was safe. For cleansers and skin care for my face, I use products from MyChelle. They are not cheap, but are made from wonderful ingredients and they do not use gluten in any of their products (I verified that by phone). I get mine at Whole Foods--they carry a fair amount of their line there. For a catalogue, call 800-447-2076. For general moisturizing (arms and legs) I use Gluten Free Savonnerie Lotion. It's free of gluten as well as nut, casein, soy, colorant, and fragrence. I use their shampoo, conditioner and soap as well. 888-6GF-SOAP.

Moongirl Community Regular
right now i'm using Neutrogena and Oil of Olay alternately

FYI becareful with Olay.....heres their response to my email....

Thanks for contacting Olay

We know Celiac is a serious disease, so we want to give you clear information

regarding the use of our beauty care products. If wheat and/or gluten aren't

directly added to a product by us, these ingredients won't be listed on our

packages. Like many companies, we often purchase the scents for fragranced

products from outside suppliers, and the components of these substances are

proprietary information belonging to those companies. Therefore it's possible

that a very small amount (generally parts per million) of gluten may be present.

We sought advice from physicians; they told us it would be very unlikely a

person with Celiac disease would have a reaction from a trace amount of gluten

coming into contact with his skin or hair. This is because wheat, rye, barley

and/or gluten generally cause symptoms when they're ingested. Since our beauty

care products are designed to be used externally on the skin, their use

shouldn't be an issue for someone with this disease.

Since gluten sensitivity can vary among people, it would be best if you

consulted with your physician about the use of all types of consumable goods, if

you haven't already. You might even consider using one of our fragrance free

products that doesn't list gluten or wheat extracts on the label.

I hope this response has been helpful to you. For more information about

Celiac, you may want to check out Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link

Thanks again for getting in touch with us.

Chrisie

Olay Team

Archived