• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Melatonin

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I used to have sleep problems so my dr. suggested melatonin. I tried it and now it's part of my night-time routine. Here are some suggestions:

I take 1mg. each night. It's a perfect dose for me and if there's a night where I really need my sleep, I can take two or three.

I take the sublingual kind (it goes under the tongue). This goes directly into your blood stream and you get the benefits sooner. I can doze-off in 20 minutes or less (when it usually takes me an hour or so without). I think by taking the 3mg orally, it takes longer to get to your blood stream, therefore prolonging the effects.

It doesn't hurt to take this, especially the amount that I take. I get more sleep with it than without, so it's beneficial to my health in the long run.

And could you tell me about which sublingual one is the best - thanks!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

And could you tell me about which sublingual one is the best - thanks!

I take Source Naturals. I haven't seen other brands that have a sublingual, but I'm sure there are some out there. I get this from my local health food store and The Vitamin Shoppe.

I took melatonin during my gluten days for a while. I found that a 1 mg pill would put me to sleep but I would not feel totally awake the next day until afternoon. So what I did was cut the pills in half with a knife, and then cut them again so they were quarters of the original pill. This worked good for me, and I would try to take them 45 minutes to an hours before I went to bed. After reading the Wiki article below, I am not sure I will keep taking it though. The article suggests melatonin increases immune system activity. But it does work well for me to get to sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

n individuals with auto-immune disorders, there is concern that melatonin supplementation may exacerbate symptoms due to stimulation of the immune system.

I have been doing research on Melatonin lately. My concern is the lack of information available about the effects of melatonin on individuals with auto-immune disorders. Sure it says it is not recommended, and that makes me worry about trying it. I have been experiencing a lot of peri-menopausal symptoms lately and sleep problems are a big issue for me. I HAVE to get some good sleep and soon! The brain fog is getting bad due to so little sleep, It isn't just a problem falling a sleep, it is staying a sleep all night.

My concern is not so much with the celiac disease, because I am extremely careful with my diet and my DH and other symptoms are under control. My main concern is that I also have psoriasis and suspected alopecia areata (due to a bald spot since age 12) and I don't want either of those to get worse! My skin and hair are important to me...

So anyone have any other recommendations of natural sleep aids? Benadryl works for me, but makes me drowsy the next day if I don't get more than the recommended 8 hours of rest.

So anyone have any other recommendations of natural sleep aids? Benadryl works for me, but makes me drowsy the next day if I don't get more than the recommended 8 hours of rest.

This is what I'm also asking for in my thread "Occasional Insomnia", but nobody has replied yet...

I have taken melatonin nightly for many years with good results. I would like to try a time release. I wake up through the night still. In the 80's when I started, I took .5 mg. Now I'm up to 6 mgs. It takes me several years to have to take more.

Recently I have increased my magnesium dosage and found it has a great positive affect on my sleep. I even slept through the night once which I searched my memory and couldn't remember when last that happened. I hear you about the hypoglycemic thing though. Since I have been eating lo-carb I have to have about 1/2 slice of lunchmeat in the morning or my blood sugar gets too low, too fast before I can get to breakfast.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    trainerj

• Topics

• You might have to try cooking ALL fruits & veggies to death to make it super easy for your gut to handle them without putting undue stress on your body. Another thought is ditch every single processed food. Eat everything fresh that you cook yourself. No frozen foods, no canned foods. You can do dried beans but be sure to sort & wash them carefully first.  6 months in is early for many people. It sounds like you're one of those people. Saying that you definitely feel better than when you started is a good thing. You know it's working. It just isn't working as fast as you hoped/wanted. Take heart that you are feeling better and try to be patient. I know it's hard. You want to GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO & get on with your life. You feel like you're sitting at the starting line with your engine revving & you just want to race ahead but you can't get off the starting line, as if someone put a chain around your rear axle.  Be kind to yourself, be patient with yourself. 
    • There is a HUGE difference between grass and grain fed meats. The grass fed longhorn that I use when I Cook for others is 100% different then any other grain fed beef I have gotten in the store. THe stuff is SOO lean you have to ADD oil to the hamburger sometimes because it is so lean there is no oil to fry it up in. The meat is leaner then turkey. The omegas content is different in it also. I love cooking with it because it rarely needs any seasoning and anything I do apply seems to just explode in flavor with it. NOW I can not really eat it, but as a chef what we do is set a bit aside in a tasting dish and go do a chew and spit it out test. Not something to be done with a allergen or gluten but with stuff I do not digest like rice, beans, meats it is a means for me to know if seasoned and cooked right. >.< Note I lack the digestive abilities to break down actual meats, even with enzymes they just sorta float til I puke them up or they come out undigested out the back in the case with fish and crab. I have not tried meat since March....side thought my doctor had told me when my UC damage heals up I might be able to eat meat again....might try some fish tomorrow.

I do have some other thoughts, you say B12...what about the other B-vitamins? How much magnesium are you taking? Magnesium is a relaxent when your getting enough your feel relaxed, you have very vivid dreams and sleep like a rock. This is why many people take it right before bed.

I have always praised and sworn by Liquid Health Stress & Energy and Liquid Health Neurological Support for B-vitmains due to the nature of how they work with the body I take 1tbsp each 3 times a day before each meal to keep optimal levels and prevent that wane feeling. I also use KAL nutritional yeast in my meals often (look up the nutritional label on these)
    • Hey everyone,  I am new to this and relatively new to figuring out I was gluten intolerant.  I had lost about 20 pounds over the course of 2 months and had a colonoscopy and scheduled endoscope to see what was going on.  I was getting massive stomach cramps whenever I ate bread, explosive diarrhea when I had anything with lactose, and was in a state of continual brain fog and anxiety.  The medication the doctors gave me, including PPIs didn't seem to help.  I literally thought I was dying of stomach cancer.  A week before my upper endoscope I started a gluten free diet and saw a massive reduction in my symptoms.  My brain fog and anxiety went away almost immediately, so did my heartburn, I got this whenever I ate bread, and I didn't have the massive cramping feeling in my stomach, I gained back about 7 pounds, and my diarrhea began to go away.  I had a blood test for celiac but was negative for it, the doctor told me the best way to tell was to continue to eat gluten and get my endoscope and have a biopsy done.  Since I felt so good I decided not to get the endoscope, since the GI surgeon said I was either one of two things: celiac or had non-celiac gluten sensitivity.  He said the treatment is the same for both; no gluten.   The questions I have is I am still having some issues, it seems like if I eat anything with corn or soy I get diarrhea.  I also still have a nagging discomfort under my left ribs.  I have been gluten-free for about 2 weeks and that is what I am still experiencing. I have read that I may need to cut out soy, sunflower oil, safflower oil, and corn as well as the lactose and gluten to really start seeing good results.  Has anyone else experienced this stuff before?  Do you guys think I should have gotten the upper endoscope?  Thank you so much for your input. When I was researching on what I could possibly have wrong with me, it was this site that made me try to go gluten free and it saved my health.  I know most doctors don't recognized NCGI so I don't know how long I would have suffered though this, as no doctors I worked with suggested going off gluten. Thank you for your responses and God Bless! Josh  
    • Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah I've had the vit/min panels and all that done and it was all normal. Regardless I've been supplementing with 1,000mcg sublingual B12 daily, 5,000iu sublingual D3 every few days, and since going keto, "ketovitals" which gives me some magnesium, potassium, sodium, and calcium. Also douse everything in pink sea salt and drink a ton of water. For months now I've tended to get at LEAST 10 hours of sleep per night... Usually. I still at times have terrible insomnia, which is what happened the other night, then had to get up early. Got a total of maybe 5 hours and still feeling it now 2 days later despite sleeping closer to 14 hours a night since. So Ennis, you mentioned about lectins, which I'm now reading about, and interestingly, certain things I don't do well with (usually uncooked veggies, aside from onions) seem to correspond to this. I even do fine with peas, but, I cook those. I'll have to start experimenting. The only part that gets me is that I'm reading grain-fed meats are high in lectins. I've read before that the supposed grain/grass fed difference is BS, and in fact the one thing that has never let me down through all of this is chicken, and I just buy the regular stuff for that. Can anyone confirm or debunk?
    • At 6. Months I was still recuperating for sure. Still had the dh but less of it, still had chronic pain in my abdomen but less of it, still constipated. I was in the stage of eating gluten-free processed foods, which was too much gluten for me, and keeping my symptoms active. In all actuality my C stopped a few months ago. I've been gluten-free for almost 10 years now.
  • Upcoming Events