This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Dye Products

Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI

I've had some REAL issues dyeing my hair for the last year.

Just afraid I might have to give it up. I want to cover up the grey.

I'm not a vain person just like my hair so much better with some natural color.

I now take my shampo and my conditioner to the salon. I don't let them put any of their products...used them at the same shop for 20 years..not coloring that long. After dx didn't know about these issues.

The shampo had 4 kinds of wheat and the conditioner had 3... :ph34r:

I'm scheuled to get it done before our CA trip but want to find an alternative.

I found some at Martindale's natural foods here in Springfield PA. They let me call Canada from their store to ck the ingred. (THEY ARE THE BEST) but the rep wasn't there and left # to call me back. :blink: Yeh, I know we've all heard that one before.

I don't have the name of what I bought yesterday but will post when I get back on the computer.

One other product they had there had 2 wheat ingred listed right on it (thanks for the new Labeling Law) :lol:

One of MNF employees was so helpful and told me she used it. (doesn't have celiac disease) and liked it.

Think it was the amonia that it didn't have..will have to ck ...

Looking forward to hearing from you experts out there.

Judy in Philly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

Judy,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I am interested in what u find out. My daughter has informed me that I need to color my hair. (Love the honesty). I was wondering how you knew your shampoo had wheat in it. Is there a listing somewhere of all the funky names for wheat ? thanks marcia

jmengert Enthusiast

I use Nice and Easy by Clairol and have never had a reaction (and I'm super sensitive to gluten). The ingredients for all the coloring and conditioner read fine, and I've used different colors about 4 to 5 times now. It also gives a nice color.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Judy--I just got back from the salon an hour ago! I went in for a cut and blow dry. I had washed my hair in the shower this morning--asked the stylist to only rinse my hair with water and not use any products at all in my hair. I do this every time and it's not a problem. As far as the color :ph34r: , I use Feria by Loreal. I do it myself at home. I called Loreal and was told Feria had no gluten ingredients whatsoever--their words. If you're trying to cover grey hair, the dyes without ammonia may not be strong enough. I have used the non-ammonia, semi-permanent products--I've tried Natural Essense and Color Spa. Those wash out after about 3-4 weeks, and really don't cover grey as well (I only have a few greys ;) ). I would ask about that when you talk to them.

Marcia--Wheat can be listed by other names, there is a list here--you can do a search for it, but on all the shampoo labels I've seen the wheat is listed as wheat or wheat starch.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Went gray at 21 -- have colored my hair for years -- went for a time that I didn't (couldn't get out to get the stuff), and saw a good look at my roots --- WHOA :blink::blink:

I use Clairol color and use a 30 volume creme developer. It's easy to use, and cheap. All you have to do is mix equal parts, then start at your roots and go. I buy it at Sally beauty supply. Don't know if it's gluten-free, but I make sure not to get it into my mouth, and it doesn't give me the horrible rash that things that I know contain gluten have given me.

Given how gray I am, that I'm only 43, and that my husband looks about 20, there's NO WAY I'm not going to color it -- that's the only time I'm NOT gluten-freaky!!!!! (Vanity, thy name is Lynne . . . :P )

tarnalberry Community Regular
HI

I've had some REAL issues dyeing my hair for the last year.

Just afraid I might have to give it up. I want to cover up the grey.

I'm not a vain person just like my hair so much better with some natural color.

I now take my shampo and my conditioner to the salon. I don't let them put any of their products...used them at the same shop for 20 years..not coloring that long. After dx didn't know about these issues.

The shampo had 4 kinds of wheat and the conditioner had 3... :ph34r:

I'm scheuled to get it done before our CA trip but want to find an alternative.

I found some at Martindale's natural foods here in Springfield PA. They let me call Canada from their store to ck the ingred. (THEY ARE THE BEST) but the rep wasn't there and left # to call me back. :blink: Yeh, I know we've all heard that one before.

I don't have the name of what I bought yesterday but will post when I get back on the computer.

One other product they had there had 2 wheat ingred listed right on it (thanks for the new Labeling Law) :lol:

One of MNF employees was so helpful and told me she used it. (doesn't have celiac disease) and liked it.

Think it was the amonia that it didn't have..will have to ck ...

Looking forward to hearing from you experts out there.

Judy in Philly

You might look into considering a natural henna dye. It won't last as long as permanent dyes, but then, you won't get that odd thing with the roots going on either. Many health food or natural food stores carry henna hair color. There's a limit on what you can do with a natural dye like henna, but it may help. (As an interesting note, henna also conditions your hair. And they advise washing the hair with coffee for dying grey hair more effectively.)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

thanks to all you for answering me.

I'm printing this and taking to store after we can dig out

this is what i purchased..

Herbatint says covers gray hair no ammonia my color was 'light golden blond 8D

It says haircolor gel permanent.

I HATE TO SAY THIS but i'm so afraid to use it. I'm such a clutch and can't get my left arm to go above my shoulder becasue one of the many tumors is pressing on a nerve...Oy.

I haven't called today as it's Sat.

It's a Canadian phone #

Think it will cost me a mint to call.

Karen, or someother canadian, would you be willing to call # 1-877-699-4400 It says too free. Would that cost me.

Judy in Philly

My hair dresser could put it on for me or i could have her do one of the ones you've recommended.

Would you believe that the gal who helped me at Martindales, said one of their employees also does hair and i could call her at work and see if she'd be willing to do it...Isn't that store amazing???? :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 months later...
nicole123 Newbie

What happens if someone with celiac uses hair dye/shampoos/conditioners with gluten? I have been gluten free for a few months but haven't altered my hair regimen.

CarlaB Enthusiast

My stylist uses bleach ;) -- I'm wearing it a bit lighter than in my avatar .... but even before I didn't worry about the color since it's so infrequent and she washes it right after. I read all the bottles of what she washes/conditions my hair with and none have wheat. I know right away if they do because I'll break out in a rash on my scalp (wish I knew what that was!).

judy05 Apprentice
What happens if someone with celiac uses hair dye/shampoos/conditioners with gluten? I have been gluten free for a few months but haven't altered my hair regimen.

I am gluten intolerant and I cannot use anything with wheat as far as shampoo or coloring. It's not that I swallow it but it stays on my scalp for a long time despite thorough rinsing and it irritates it and makes it itchy, same with cosmetics, etc. I use mostly Dove products and garnier fructis shampoo, and I'm getting ready to try the Feria by Loreal which is gluten free. I don't know why this happens, I had a Negative biopsy, negative genetic tests, but positive blood work. Everyone is different. perhaps you won't be that sensitive. I also have problems at the dentist which you might not be aware of. Good Luck!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It depends on the person. For me I get a rash and my hair falls out. I'd rather be gray than bald. When I did color my hair, I gave it up for now as I have a DH sore that just won't go away (5 months now), I used Loreal Casting Spa as a temporary 28 shampoo color and Preference if I wanted a permanent one.

Also a quick note as to the use of henna, do not use henna if you have any form of hair dye on your hair already. I wish I could remember what happens but the need for total grow out always stopped me from using it. I started going grey in my teens and never saw my natural color till my late 40's. :huh::D

nicole123 Newbie

I am wondering about hair products because I have had a ton of hair loss over the past couple of years and believe it is related to malnutrition- I have been gluten free for a couple of months and it seems like I am not losing as much hair but am wondering if I should also change my hair care products and stop highlighting my hair. Does anyone know the mechanism for hairloss in celiac?

eKatherine Rookie
Also a quick note as to the use of henna, do not use henna if you have any form of hair dye on your hair already.

The henna reacts with the metallic dyes to form new and stunning colors, like deep blue-green.

And it can't be filxed, you have to grow it out.

DILIROTH Newbie

I use Loreal Couleur Experte in France but I know they also have it in the states. Its a kit that has a hair coloring and highlighting all in one. It doesnt list any wheat in the ingredients and I have not had a reaction to it - but I am not certain its 100% safe. I just sent an email to Loreal in Paris to be certain of its contents. If I hear any information I will post it.

My scalp will feel extremely sunburned and sore to the touch if I use products with wheat. I didnt even realize that it was the Gluten until I read some information on this forum about wheat in cosmetic products, since then I read the labels carefully and have not had an issue.

Theresa

CarlaB Enthusiast
I am wondering about hair products because I have had a ton of hair loss over the past couple of years and believe it is related to malnutrition- I have been gluten free for a couple of months and it seems like I am not losing as much hair but am wondering if I should also change my hair care products and stop highlighting my hair. Does anyone know the mechanism for hairloss in celiac?

If your hair products have wheat in them, I personally would change them. I don't worry about the highlighting though. My stylist does it, then she washes it, so I don't touch it. Since she foils it, it doesn't even touch my scalp except maybe a little as she is washing it out. If I had hair color that was on my scalp and I was having a reaction, then I'd worry.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
The henna reacts with the metallic dyes to form new and stunning colors, like deep blue-green.

And it can't be filxed, you have to grow it out.

I might have liked that in my younger days. <_<:D Thanks for letting us know what happens I always wondered.

I believe it is associated with the autoimmune action that the gluten causes. I used to think it was from malnutrition but even a minor glutening will case me to loose hair for a couple of weeks and my DH will get alopecia or circular clumps of hair loss from even a small amount. I up my B vitamins when this occurs but don't know if it really helps or if just time gluten-free does.

• 6 years later...
danalolly Newbie

I was diagnosed two years ago with celiac. I have been dying my hair for years. I have really been having terrible skin issues in the past 6 months, very oitchy skin, eveywhere, open sores on scalp. i found out my hair products had gluten. I was tested for DH and i do not have.

the gluten is affecting me topically s i went all gluten-free with all skin care. It has only beed 3 days but I am seeing quick results.

I need to dye my hair, and i am nervous

kareng Grand Master

I was diagnosed two years ago with celiac. I have been dying my hair for years. I have really been having terrible skin issues in the past 6 months, very oitchy skin, eveywhere, open sores on scalp. i found out my hair products had gluten. I was tested for DH and i do not have.

the gluten is affecting me topically s i went all gluten-free with all skin care. It has only beed 3 days but I am seeing quick results.

Just to let you know - all the posts on this thread are over 6 years old. Any product information should be double checked. Many products may have changed ingredients in that ampount of time.

Gemini Experienced

Nothing....unless you have an additional allergy to wheat/gluten and it causes a topical reaction. Topical reactions from hair dye are from contact allergies, not a celiac response.

Even if you did ingest some hair dye, you would have more to worry about than a Celiac reaction....hair dye should never, ever be ingested! Since hair dye is rinsed very well after application and the hair is usually washed twice, there will not be any left in the hair afterwards. There shouldn't be or irritation could happen.

I am a very sensitive Celiac, have been coloring my hair for 25 years and never have had a problem. I do not have topical allergies, though.

Alwayssomething Contributor

Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is not a skin allergy. Rather, DH is a chronic, extremely itchy rash consisting of papules and vesicles. Although it is often confused with skin allergies, it is actually associated with Open Original Shared Link (celiac disease), a sensitivity of the intestine to gluten foods in the diet. celiac disease is also not a foold allergy, but rather a disease of the intestines.

This was taken directly from the Asthma and Allergy Foundations webpage and is the same answer I reiceived when I went to the dermatologist for my DH. If you are having a skin reaction to Gluten, it is possible it is an allergy, but if it is blistery and itchey and confirmed to be DH then it is not an allergy it is a reaction to the gluten and you must eliminate it not only in your diet but in your topicial products as well. I wish it was an allergy, then I could just pop a Claritin or Zyrtec or one of those other fancy allergies meds and get on with my day.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You should not dye your hair with any products when you have lesions on your scalp. Once your scalp heals then perhaps try Garnier or the Herbatint products. The Herbatint used to come with a packet of conditioner that contains wheat so do read the label and don't use it if it hasn't changed formulas. I think Loreal products are still gluten free but do check the label to be sure.

Gemini Experienced

Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is not a skin allergy. Rather, DH is a chronic, extremely itchy rash consisting of papules and vesicles. Although it is often confused with skin allergies, it is actually associated with Open Original Shared Link (celiac disease), a sensitivity of the intestine to gluten foods in the diet. celiac disease is also not a foold allergy, but rather a disease of the intestines.

This was taken directly from the Asthma and Allergy Foundations webpage and is the same answer I reiceived when I went to the dermatologist for my DH. If you are having a skin reaction to Gluten, it is possible it is an allergy, but if it is blistery and itchey and confirmed to be DH then it is not an allergy it is a reaction to the gluten and you must eliminate it not only in your diet but in your topicial products as well. I wish it was an allergy, then I could just pop a Claritin or Zyrtec or one of those other fancy allergies meds and get on with my day.

DH is caused by ingestion of gluten.....that is correct. But you would not be ingesting hair dye. It would poison you and make you very sick. You cannot develop DH from skin contact with gluten. Read up on it in any good Celiac information/medical book. Surprising, yes, but you have to ingest gluten into your gut to cause a DH outbreak. Anything else is a topical skin allergy.

The other clarification with the above statement is that Celiac is an autoimmune disease, which targets the small intestine. I don't agree that it is a disease of the intestines. Without the autoimmune response, you would not have a problem with your intestinal tract.

K10 Newbie

Just thought I would chime in on this (very) old post since its been bumped so much today. I use wella demi perm (can be purchased at Sally Beauty Supply) and Feria conditioner afterwards.

I too had to switch to gluten-free cosmetics/shampoo (which resolved some of my hair loss and all the scalp sores) and have not had trouble with this colour. As far as I know Wella and Feria are still gluten-free

• 3 weeks later...
ajnemajrje Newbie

I had the same issues and everytime I picked up a hairdye that I liked, it had wheat or oats in it :(

I am using nice and easy right now because the Loreal brand that has the colours I like is not gluten-free and the Loreal brand I can use, I dont like any of the colours. I wish they at least had the same colour selection. :(

• 10 months later...
AnniesVision Newbie

Hello to everyone. It is so wonderful to have this format to share important information collectively.

I am surprised at how many Celiacs are not concerned about gluten contact on your skin. Our skin absorbs whatever sits on it (within reason) which is why many medication are given topically.

I am very gluten sensitive so perhaps that is why I have had to learn to be so very cautious. When I was relatively new at this, I dyed my hair at home without giving it a second thought. Because I had been gluten free for a couple if years, I had an awful reaction to the gluten containing hair product that I used. I sat there for 40 minutes with wheat protein sitting on my scalp. About a week later, my head itched like I had ants biting me. I had no skin sores at all, just itching. Within a month, I developed a rash down my back that scanned over like chicken pox. It took months for it to go away. However, the worst part was it threw my body into an autoimmune response. My lymph nodes ached, arthritis flared, systemic yeast was relentless, fatigue, depression and irritability was back. It took almost 6 months to get my body back to feeling healthy again.

You never know what can cause you to become really ill or have a serious reaction. Gluten shut my pituitary gland down. It is nothing to play with or take lightly.

I have a no gluten policy because I must in order to feel healthy. We all know what a pain it can be and also the extra expense. But having had 6 months of feeling as ill as I had while on gluten, I learned my lesson hard.

Nothing touches my body unless I am certain it is gluten free. This even includes laundry soap. It is not worth it. Gluten can shut your adrenal glands down and can wreck your immune system and cause chronic depression and cancer. We all need to be careful...always.

It is good to see (from reading the threads) that there are some gluten free hair dyes out there. I also like to make a quick call to the manufacturer to make certain the information is current. I keep a list on my phone of what I CAN have. If it is not on the list, it doesn't belong in me.

I hope all of you that are new to this will realize that your skin will absorb gluten. Be careful with your bodies. We only get one..

Blessings to all and thank you for all if the wonderful info I have gathered from this site.

Katy

Archived