• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Symptoms And Questions

2 posts in this topic

armymomx4    0

Hi all more questions, my middle daughter who has been gluten free for two months now is now experiencing severe swelling in her left leg, from calf thru her foot. It is quite noticeable and takes along time for the color to return if you touch the leg in this area. Has anyone else ever experienced this or heard of this. She also has polyglandular autoimmune disease, which involves her thyroid, parathyroid and we know that it can develop rheumotory arthritis but this in only one extremety that is swollen. Please let me know if any of you have any thing like this and what is typically done in this case. Also has anyones child had such severe problems with thriving on the gluten free diet that they had to have an engitube inserted for a while until they were able to thrive and not have adverse symptoms persist?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

gf4life    5

Hi Kim,

I checked into polyglandular autoimmune disease, and it didn't sound like it was too nice of a disease! Celiac is nothing compared to it. It sounds like she is having circulatory problems and edema in that leg. What did her doctor have to say about it? It is probably what is giving her so much trouble and why she isn't thriving on the gluten-free diet. I hope you find out what is causing the swelling, so it can be fixed. It doesn't sound like it is celiac disease related, but you never know.

God bless,

Mariann

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    cdpierce97

• Topics

• Eeh bah gum, ta JMG!  I find it fascinating that it has almost the same (or is it the same) colour label as Lea and Perrins?  I wonder which came first? Hopefully they have moved from the building in the photo as they are selling so many bottles that they need bigger premises.    Funny though - I thought you'd sent me a picture of a pub when I first saw it.  Bet it was a pub before they took it over!  
    • I would just generally eat healthy. Avoid milk and fructose for a while as they can be difficult to digest before your intestine heals.  Glutamine powder is a protein that is available in grocery stores. Glutamine is the main fuel for the cells that line the intestine, and it may help them grow back faster.  I don't know for sure about alchohol but I would avoid it. Gluten I think is soluble in high concentration alcohol. This may cause a more intense immune response. 
    • http://hypothyroidmom.com/10-nutrient-deficiencies-every-thyroid-patient-should-have-checked/ Here's an article that explains all the nutrients the thyroid needs to function properly and the consequences to the thyroid if there's a deficiency.   Some thyroid problems will correct themselves if existing nutritional deficiencies are corrected.   Check with your doctor to see if any nutritional deficiencies need to be addressed. Hope this helps.  
    • Thanks guys! Ill defintley ask about the full thyroid panel. I did antibodies for those thyroid ones a year ago do i have to get that again.  Thanks Ennis for those recommandations I will resort back to my food diary!
    • To add to the good advice above. I think your husband has to take it on himself to communicate with his parents that this is a serious, medically diagnosed condition that their grandson has to live with for the rest of his life. He needs them to back you up, be supportive etc. On no account should you be cast as the fussy daughter-in-law who has to have her crazy notions indulged - they need to know that their son is 100% on board with this and that the pair of you are united. Just one other point. It's very difficult for most people to conceptualise celiac, they tend to think of it as they would a problem with spicy food say. Something that you should probably avoid but a little bit now and then won't hurt. So without getting scientific, it would be good if your husband could get that key point across. That a little is just about as bad as a lot when the body's immune system is involved.  That there can't be any compromises or cheating. Even the suggestion will be harmful for your son in adjusting. Also that you understand that their house cannot be a gluten-free environment and you don't expect them to change their lives whilst your there - but that you need to take reasonable precautions to keep your son safe.  I think as long as people understand there's reasons for all the precautions etc its easier for them to accept. They may not agree with it or understand it but they can at least understand your thought process.  Finally, get as much of this communicating done in advance so you, your husband and your son can just enjoy himself without constant references to his diet.  Hope it goes well!
  • Upcoming Events