This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Mcdonalds Story...

pixiegirl

pixiegirl Enthusiast

MSNBC.com

Report: McDonald's fries contain allergens

New ingredients labels include wheat, dairy, according to newspaper

MSNBC

Updated: 12:44 p.m. ET Feb. 13, 2006

McDonald's french fries contain "wheat and milk ingredients" that

could pose problems for people who have allergies to these

substances, a report in the Wall Street Journal said Monday.

The world's largest restaurant chain had previously denied that its

french fries contained ingredients that cause allergic reactions in

people sensitive to wheat or dairy products. Millions of Americans

suffer allergies or sensitivities to certain foods, with symptoms

ranging from mild discomfort, rashes to life-threatening.

McDonald's said the change in its food labels were to conform to new

federal rules which took effect on Jan. 1, the newspaper reported.

The federal law requires food labels to list whether ingredients

contain peanuts, milk, wheat, eggs, fish or other substances that

could sicken people with allergies.

McDonald's said there has been no change in the way the fries are

prepared.

Previously, McDonald's said the flavoring in its french fries was

safe for people with dietary allergies, according to the Journal.

The disclosure closely follows McDonald's announcement last week

that its fries contain a third more trans fats than it previously

knew, citing results of a new testing method the fast food company

began using in December. Trans fats are commonly found in fried

foods, some margarines and snack foods and can raise blood levels of

bad cholesterol.

McDonald's has been reluctant to risk changing the taste of its

iconic french fries. It pledged in September 2002 to switch to a new

oil that would halve the level of harmful trans fatty acid in its

fries. But it has delayed those plans, citing product quality and

customer satisfaction as priorities while continuing testing.

The disclosure about allergens and trans fats in french fries come

as McDonald's Corp. starts rolling out packaging for its menu items

that contain facts about their nutritional content.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

© 2006 MSNBC.com

URL: Open Original Shared Link

C

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient

Wow--that's great to see! Every time I come across the story that adresses the trans-fat in the fries, I think--yea, but what about the wheat :D Thanks.

jenvan Collaborator

ooo.. thanks for that!

elonwy Enthusiast

THis ones a little more specific to us. Front page of Yahoo News.

Open Original Shared Link

Feb. 13, 2006, 2:13PM

McDonald's: Fries Have Potential Allergens

By DAVE CARPENTER AP Business Writer

© 2006 The Associated Press

CHICAGO — Not long after disclosing that its french fries contain more trans fat than thought, McDonald's Corp. said Monday that wheat and dairy ingredients are used to flavor the popular menu item _ an acknowledgment it had not previously made.

The presence of those substances can cause allergic or other medical reactions in food-sensitive consumers.

McDonald's had said until recently that its fries were free of gluten and milk or wheat allergens and safe to eat for those with dietary issues related to the consumption of dairy items. But the fast-food company quietly added "Contains wheat and milk ingredients" this month to the french fries listing on its Web site.

The company said the move came in response to new rules by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the packaged foods industry, including one requiring that the presence of common allergens such as milk, eggs, wheat, fish or peanuts be reported. As a restaurant operator, Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's does not have to comply but is doing so voluntarily.

McDonald's director of global nutrition, Cathy Kapica, said its potato suppliers remove all wheat and dairy proteins, such as gluten, which can cause allergic reactions. But the flavoring agent in the cooking oil is a derivative of wheat and dairy ingredients, and the company decided to note their presence because of the FDA's stipulation that potential allergens be disclosed.

"We knew there were always wheat and dairy derivatives in there, but they were not the protein component," she said. "Technically there are no allergens in there. What this is an example of is science evolving" and McDonald's responding as more is learned, she said.

While the company wanted to make consumers aware that fries were derived in part from wheat and dairy sources, she said, those who have eaten the product without problem should be able to continue to do so without incident.

Since it was posted on McDonald's Web site, the acknowledgment has stirred anger and some concern among consumers who are on gluten-free diets.

"If they're saying there's wheat and dairy derivatives in the oil, as far as anyone with this disease is concerned there's actually wheat in it," said New York resident Jillian Williams, one of more than 2 million Americans with celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder triggered by gluten.

"They should have disclosed that all along," she said. "They should never have been calling them gluten-free."

McDonald's has been reluctant to risk changing the taste of its heavy-selling fries. It pledged in September 2002 to switch to a new oil that would halve the level of harmful trans fatty acid in its fries. But it has delayed those plans, citing product quality and customer satisfaction as priorities while continuing testing.

Asked about the status of its efforts Monday, Kapica said: "It's a very high priority and we are very committed to continuing with testing and lowering the level of trans fat without raising the level of saturated fat. ... It's a lot harder than we originally thought but that is not stopping us."

McDonald's shares fell 8 cents to $36.25 in afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange _ up 7 percent in 2006.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Elonwy--could that have been OUR Jillian quoted in the article?

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

OUTSTANDING :D Thanks for sharing . . . . .

Guest nini

YAYYYYYYY!!!!! Doing the happy dance! So glad to see this got picked up!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

YOU GO DAVE!!!!!!!!!! :D

Tip of the Iceberg, guys. Ya'll aint seen nothing yet B)

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I have a feeling that you're exactly right . . . . . :D

Rusla Enthusiast

On Global TV here in Calgary they said that ALL Macdonalds frys have than in them. It was just on tv. So, I guess they lied about the frys in Canada for those of you who eat there.

teebs in WV Apprentice

I just had to share this with everyone.....I forwarded the link to this story to my fiance. He just sent me a note saying what an idiotic comment the director of marketing made! I asked why, specifically, and he said her comment about if you have not had any reaction to their fries, you can continue to eat them.

See - there is hope out there that people without this disease get it!

nogluten- Newbie

My husband has brought these to me to eat as a surprise sometimes. Yikes. Nice to find out now.

rache Apprentice

this makes me want to cry! my diet mainly consisted of McDonalds fries, b/c i thought they were gluten-free. Well they were my food of choice when i was on the go, in the car, etc. This is so upsetting to me :( Seriously!!

nettiebeads Apprentice

I hate to say it, but what really REALLY matters most to these corporations is the bottom line. Period.

And I'm sadly not really surprised to find this out.

Annette

Rusla Enthusiast

Sorry folks, the message I sent was a little lopsided. I have not been particularily well and my mind is faster than my hands.

The story on Global TV in Calgary said that ALL Macdonalds frys have dairy and wheat in them, not just the ones in the US. So both Canadian and American MacD frys have wheat and dairy in them.

rache Apprentice

I forgot... I'm taking this as their Hash Brown patties are also not gluten-free?

jkmunchkin Rising Star

This is the article I was refering to that I am quoted in. I used my married name (even though I never legally changed it).

VydorScope Proficient

THis is great! Keep them comming! Make sure you thank the authors of these pieces! We need make sure this word gets out so all ppl with celiac disease hear about this and can make informned descions about there junk food.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

It was also picked up here in Canada.

Here's the link:

Karen

Guest nini
I forgot... I'm taking this as their Hash Brown patties are also not gluten-free?

they took hash browns off the gluten-free list as far as I could tell... the last copy of it I downloaded did not have hash browns listed as gluten-free.

This is the article I was refering to that I am quoted in. I used my married name (even though I never legally changed it).

Awesome!

VydorScope Proficient

they took hash browns off the gluten-free list as far as I could tell... the last copy of it I downloaded did not have hash browns listed as gluten-free.

I think the Hash Browns share the oil with the fries, right? I think thats why they are not on the gluten-free list anymore.

Rusla Enthusiast

I think this is not on unscrupulous but disgraceful for them to lie to people about potentially life threatening ingedients.

I was not one who ate at MacD's except occasionally for hash browns, that was before dx. They deserved to be sued on this because they totally premeditated to blatantly lie to people.

I am as disgusted with them as I am with Microsoft.

I have problems with why they need to add milk and wheat to anything. I make fries and never use milk, wheat, msg or other garbage on them.

Guest nini

some of you may remember that I got glutened several months ago after my boss decided to treat me to some McD's hashbrowns. I was ill for at least a week.

Nannabirdie Newbie

Me and my son both have celiacs and I am soooooooooo angry over this its unbelievable. They should tell people this stuff.

Dianna

this makes me want to cry! my diet mainly consisted of McDonalds fries, b/c i thought they were gluten-free. Well they were my food of choice when i was on the go, in the car, etc. This is so upsetting to me :( Seriously!!

This is me, my 11 year old also,i mean that was a treat for us. I am sooooooooooooooo mad over it so mad. They should have a class action suit filed against themf or sure.

Guest nini

my daughter cried for quite a long time when I told her about McD's fries... but after a while, she understood. She did remember that everytime she ate them, later that night she always got a tummy ache. Now we know why.

Archived