This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Can't Believe It!

4tomorrow

4tomorrow Apprentice

CHICAGO - Not long after disclosing that its french fries contain more trans fat than thought, McDonald's Corp. said Monday that wheat and dairy ingredients are used to flavor the popular menu item — an acknowledgment it had not previously made.

ADVERTISEMENT

The presence of those substances can cause allergic or other medical reactions in food-sensitive consumers.

McDonald's had said until recently that its fries were free of gluten and milk or wheat allergens and safe to eat for those with dietary issues related to the consumption of dairy items. But the fast-food company quietly added "Contains wheat and milk ingredients" this month to the french fries listing on its Web site.

The company said the move came in response to new rules by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the packaged foods industry, including one requiring that the presence of common allergens such as milk, eggs, wheat, fish or peanuts be reported. As a restaurant operator, Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's does not have to comply but is doing so voluntarily.

McDonald's director of global nutrition, Cathy Kapica, said its potato suppliers remove all wheat and dairy proteins, such as gluten, which can cause allergic reactions. But the flavoring agent in the cooking oil is a derivative of wheat and dairy ingredients, and the company decided to note their presence because of the FDA's stipulation that potential allergens be disclosed.

"We knew there were always wheat and dairy derivatives in there, but they were not the protein component," she said. "Technically there are no allergens in there. What this is an example of is science evolving" and McDonald's responding as more is learned, she said.

While the company wanted to make consumers aware that fries were derived in part from wheat and dairy sources, she said, those who have eaten the product without problem should be able to continue to do so without incident.

The acknowledgment has stirred anger and some concern among consumers who are on gluten-free diets since it was posted on McDonald's Web site.

"If they're saying there's wheat and dairy derivatives in the oil, as far as anyone with this disease is concerned there's actually wheat in it," said New York resident Jillian Williams, one of more than 2 million Americans with celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder triggered by gluten.

"They should have disclosed that all along," she said. "They should never have been calling them gluten-free."

It's not the first time McDonald's forthrightness has been called into question concerning what's in its famous fries.

The company paid $10 million in 2002 to settle a lawsuit by vegetarian groups after it was disclosed that its fries were cooked in beef-flavored oil despite the company's insistence in 1990 that it was abandoning beef tallow for pure vegetable oil.

Last February, it paid $8.5 million to settle a suit by a nonprofit advocacy group accusing the company of misleading consumers by announcing plans in September 2002 to change its cooking oil but then delaying the switch indefinitely within months. Reluctant to change the taste of a top-selling item, McDonald's has continued to maintain for the past three years that testing continues.

Asked about the status of those efforts Monday, Kapica said: "It's a very high priority and we are very committed to continuing with testing and lowering the level of trans fat without raising the level of saturated fat. ... It's a lot harder than we originally thought but that is not stopping us."

McDonald's shares rose 3 cents to close at $36.36 on the New York Stock Exchange — up 8 percent in 2006.

___

On the Net:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

yep, about 20000000000 pages of threads here on this now.

4tomorrow Apprentice

Wow, that was really rude. It was on the main Yahoo page and I thought that it was amazing. Forgive me for finding it wonderful that they are getting the word out more. :angry:

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi 4tomorrow.......

I don't think Vydorscope meant to be rude, honestly.... It is hard sometimes to figure out how a post was meant to be taken, and knowing Vincent, I don't think he is being mean, it just came out wrong, I think.....

We're actually losing control of the posts here on this message board regarding the Mcdonald's disclosure! It has been extensively discussed, debated and disected here. In fact, the story was "born" here, and it was us that contacted the Wall Street Journal reporter to investigate this.... I'll post a few links for ya:

That'll keep ya busy for awhile!!! LOL! :P;)

Hugs

Karen

4tomorrow Apprentice

As a newbie I understand that there will be some confusion as to what people mean. I just assumed it would be a big deal that it was on the front page of yahoo. I won't make the mistake again. I was trying to participate more other than asking opinions.

Thanks for trying to smooth it out, but I don't think he meant it in a friendly way at all.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

We are excited too! Every different area of media that this story is popping up on, we are doing the happy dance!! I just posted that it was also picked up on the Canada newswire!

There has been a wide variety of reactions to this news...... I think we are all still in shock, actually...... :o

Hugs.

Karen

VydorScope Proficient
Wow, that was really rude. It was on the main Yahoo page and I thought that it was amazing. Forgive me for finding it wonderful that they are getting the word out more. :angry:

As a newbie I understand that there will be some confusion as to what people mean. I just assumed it would be a big deal that it was on the front page of yahoo. I won't make the mistake again. I was trying to participate more other than asking opinions.

Thanks for trying to smooth it out, but I don't think he meant it in a friendly way at all.

:( I am very sorry I never ment it to be rude, please accept my appoliges for my poor choice of wording. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

4tomorrow Apprentice

Not a problem. I was hoping that I was taking it the wrong way but..........

I understand where you are coming from though. I've been to plenty of boards where the posting is redundant. I will try harder in the future to avoid that. I certainly don't want to clog the board w/ useless posts. :)

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

4tomorrow: Please don't take that remark personally. We have all just gone through a lot with this whole french fry thing, and we've been frustrated, hacked off, and just plain scared. I've been on a LOT of threads with Vincent -- he is a very kind, considerate man. I feel very sure he did not mean any harm. Take care and isn't it about time they came clean????? Lynne

tarnalberry Community Regular

I saw this today, and as it struck a chord with *every* message board/forum/blog that I've been on/read/written, I thought I'd post it here. I was going to start a new thread, but thought it would be relevant here at this point.

Guest nini
Not a problem. I was hoping that I was taking it the wrong way but..........

I understand where you are coming from though. I've been to plenty of boards where the posting is redundant. I will try harder in the future to avoid that. I certainly don't want to clog the board w/ useless posts. :)

please don't ever feel that your posts are reduntant or useless... feel free to post about whatever you want to post about gluten free, celiac, living with, questions whatever... the only useless post is the one NOT POSTED! :) How would you know if you didn't post? Not everyone is tech savvy and can figure these message board threads out easily. Don't Worry bout a thing!

floridanative Community Regular

Vincent is one of the most helpful and considerate men on this board in my opinion. I would bet good money that he did not mean to be rude in any way. That's not who he is. He's helped me and others many times and I'm sure he'll help me and anyone else who needs help in the future.

Idahogirl Apprentice

I wonder what the science is behind removing the protein from the grain. Sounds simple enough. The gluten is only part of the wheat, not the actual wheat, right? So, why the big deal? If it's true, then their fries are safe for us after all. Maybe it's more complicated than I realize. Also, if this really is the "evolution of science", will this affect how other foods can be made with wheat, but have the gluten protein extracted? I am intrigued by this.

Lisa

mouse Enthusiast

tarnelberry, what a great posting with the thread for all of us to read. I think no matter how hard we try, someone is going to mis-interept our intent. Hopefully we will try and rethink what the person was trying to convey. Boy, is this thought convoluted :blink::blink: .

• 4 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

4tomorrow -- don't let this MCDonald french fry thing get to you.

I posted something back a few threads back that generated a lot of hate mail for my suggestions I was happy celiac disease was in the news and the family was in a law suit with McD. I was happy they were making McD accountable and what better way. Everyone got on me about it not being good. It is their thoughts and feelings. It's okay! Many said that McDonalds didn't miss lead the consumers. I didn't feel that way. But now I just read the thread about it came out in CNN that they do have gluten in the fries. I reserve anymore comments. I'm just going to sit back and watch how this all plays out.

Please don't take what is said here personal. This web site has a lot of wonderful people that care deeply about one and other (& U 2) and celiac disease.

So please keep posting and stay tuned in. :wub:

Be well!

Archived