This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lindt Chocolate

Moongirl

Moongirl Community Regular

I might have seen this before, so sorry if im repeating this discussion, i just couldnt remember...But are lindt Chocolates gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Becky6 Enthusiast

I looked on their site at Christmas time cause my aunt had all the flavors and I thought they were not gluten-free. I did not eat them.

Rusla Enthusiast

I have been through their whole site and not found anything even listing ingredients.

fujiwabbit Rookie

Im pretty sure that they contian barley. any of the boxes i've looked at the ingredients include malt flavouring. whichi always assumed was barly malt. thats here in canada tho, not sure if their different in the states.

zakismom Newbie

I remember reading the ingredients and they are not gluten free but I can't remember what the ingrediant was.

DavidB Apprentice

could find anything about lindt

Ghirardelli and Nestle chocolate have many different Gluten-free choices :D

Open Original Shared Link

Also - I'm sure Hershey's Chocolate is because my sister recomended it but I have not verified it yet.

my family is from the Boston Area and I'm planning a trip up there to visit PF Changs.

lovegrov Collaborator

In general, Lindt is NOT gluten-free. It's one of the few chocolate brands I avoid (along with Godiva).

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Moongirl Community Regular
Also - I'm sure Hershey's Chocolate is because my sister recomended it but I have not verified it yet.

my family is from the Boston Area and I'm planning a trip up there to visit PF Changs.

I used to go there all the time before my DX, im planning on still going now, i just havent gone yet. I LOVE there food, make sure u make reservations there, they almost always have at least a 1-2 hour wait.

Have fun!

jerseyangel Proficient

I know their truffles have barley in them.

Rusla Enthusiast

I have a problem with food substances that don't need wheat or dairy in them containing it for the sake of containing it. I personally don't see why they need to add wheat to chocolate. I really do think this "adding wheat to chocolate, wheat and dairy to fries" is insane.

On Hershey's the last two times I had Kisses I was glutened and got very ill from them. I do know many companies add wheat into the chocolate but don't list it, I have yet to find out if they do or maybe make them in a factory that has gluten in it or it could have just been my funny stomach and something else glutened me that day, anyway I will check it out.

I just spoke to Hershey; they have guaranteed me that if there is a possibility of cross contamination or it is made in a factory where wheat or wheat gluten is it will say so on the package. She said the miniature bars in the bag or just the miniatures alone are contaminated. She is going to send me a list of gluten-free items althought it doesn not contain everything. I also pointed out on their website where they say that people with Celiac Sprue can tolerate a little bit of gluten. I told her this is untrue and they had best change it, she said she would alert them to that faux pas.

If anyone else wants the Hershey list all you have to do is call them.

NJKen Rookie
Im pretty sure that they contian barley. any of the boxes i've looked at the ingredients include malt flavouring. whichi always assumed was barly malt. thats here in canada tho, not sure if their different in the states.

Most of the truffles contain barley. The white chocolate truffles and the mint truffles do NOT contain barley and I believe are gluten-free. Most of the chocolate bars do not contain barley, but I remember that they had a special, Christmas-season chocolate bar that had barley. I don't recall the name of this one, but it's probably not available now.

Ken

TCA Contributor

I got some Truffles from Superior Chocolatier for Valentine's. I called & ALL of their products were gluten-free. The truffles were amazing!!! :D

Cheri A Contributor

A little late, but how about melting some safe chocolate chips w/a little oil and putting them in a cute candy mold for yourselves?

I bought a cheap little mold from Michaels this year and some Enjoy Life chocolate chips and did that for my daughter. She loved them! And, I am wondering why I never thought to do that before.

• 5 months later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

kimjoy24 Apprentice

If you stick with the plain dark chocolate bars you should be fine...I eat them all the time and have never had a reaction. Lindt is my default good quality chocolate when I'm at Publix and can't find anything else. There is a cross-contamination warning as was previously pointed out so if you are ultra-sensitive, you would want to take that into consideration.

:wub:
MandyCandy Rookie
70% dark chocolate Lindt last night I found it. Yummy... :wub:

The store was sold out of 85% & 90%.

An interesting deep coco chocolate flavor.

Rich dark taste.

Didn't eat the whole bar, I couldn't.

It was 1.2 oz. the ALPROSE is 3.5 oz. but much lighter in flavor.

Can't explain it, I felt so, so much better. :wub:

That's funny I was just on the hunt for chocolate myself! But i had no idea which ones were ok to eat!

TERESE Rookie
I have a problem with food substances that don't need wheat or dairy in them containing it for the sake of containing it. I personally don't see why they need to add wheat to chocolate. I really do think this "adding wheat to chocolate, wheat and dairy to fries" is insane.

On Hershey's the last two times I had Kisses I was glutened and got very ill from them. I do know many companies add wheat into the chocolate but don't list it, I have yet to find out if they do or maybe make them in a factory that has gluten in it or it could have just been my funny stomach and something else glutened me that day, anyway I will check it out.

I just spoke to Hershey; they have guaranteed me that if there is a possibility of cross contamination or it is made in a factory where wheat or wheat gluten is it will say so on the package. She said the miniature bars in the bag or just the miniatures alone are contaminated. She is going to send me a list of gluten-free items althought it doesn not contain everything. I also pointed out on their website where they say that people with Celiac Sprue can tolerate a little bit of gluten. I told her this is untrue and they had best change it, she said she would alert them to that faux pas.

If anyone else wants the Hershey list all you have to do is call them.

I had a reaction from Hershey's nuggets just last week. I went first to the web site and I agree it's very misleading how it reads. I then called them, told them I'd had a reaction but was told they (milk choc w/ almonds nuggets) were gluten free. I'm pretty new to this and don't get classic celiac symptoms just feel like I've been run over by a steamroller. I'm not eating Hershey's again. :angry:

celiacsis Newbie
I might have seen this before, so sorry if im repeating this discussion, i just couldnt remember...But are lindt Chocolates gluten-free?

Hi, I am new to the whole blogging thing--is it too late to respond to a feruary blog? I had to respond because I emailed them a few months ago them and they said they could not guarantee that their products were gluten-free. Just covering their butts I suppose.

-

Sierra Newbie

Dagoba Chocolates are all gluten free at least. They have some very interesting flavors too. According to their website, at least some of their bars are also soy and dairy free. They're also organic.

This is some good chocolate. I really like the lavender chocolate and the mon cherri. I'm not sure how widely available this is since Dagoba is a local company in Oregon, but they sell on the web at least.

-

penguin Community Regular
What is non-gmo lecithin?

Isn't it still soy?

Yes, but the literature says that most people that react to soy don't react to lethicin. I'm not sure if you would, though. The only soy-free chocolate I know of is enjoy life chocolate chips.

• 4 months later...
Deanne Rookie
That's funny I was just on the hunt for chocolate myself! But i had no idea which ones were ok to eat!

I too am on a hunt for safe chocolate. I contacted Ghirardelli and got this pretty good response:

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for your email regarding Ghirardelli Chocolate. In response

to your inquiry, a majority of our products are manufactured in a gluten

free facility. If there is any chance of cross contamination we would

print a warning on our packaging. Please reference the allergen page on

our website.

In response to your inquiry, a majority of our products do contain

either whole milk powder or a milk fat. Only a few products do not have

a dairy ingredient in them, this would include our Unsweetened Baking

Bar, Unsweetened Cocoa, Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa, hot chocolates

and our Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. If there is any chance of cross

contamination we would print a warning on our packaging.

Our Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips do not contain any dairy

ingredients. However, they do share the line with other chips which do

contain either a whole milk powder or a milk fat. That is why you see

the diary warning on the package. The lines are cleaned and flushed

between the changing of flavors and the first two batches are disposed

of.

No eggs in our plant.

Kind regards,

Shawna Ortez

Senior Consumer Affairs Coordinator

Ghirardelli Chocolate Company

1111 - 139th Avenue

San Leandro, CA 94578

When I contacted Hershey's it was a nightmare. Starting out with their website first. I use Firefox and I am on dialup and for some reason I couldn't even get the online contact to work. I have been on tons of manufacturers websites regarding gluten and this site was the worst to try to find anything or get it to load and I was on the low bandwidth too. They are in a class all to themselves.

When I searched for recipes it would pull up tons and was not able to discern specifics.

So I finally just called them and got the royal run around. I first talked to a Catora who would tell me their cocoa was gluten free but wouldn't provide to me in writing. Hmmmm Then I talked with her supervisor Samantha who couldn't put it in writing.Hmmmm Then I talked to David who also couldn't put it in writting. Hmmmm I think what they are doing their is wrong but also dangerous. You can argue with them until your are blue about this and they dodge and weave about disclosure on gluten. They tell you is safe and gluten free but won't send me a list of gluten free items since they say they are revising it and in another breath they say they don't want to send one out and then they change the ingredients and then people complain that they went by the old list. They won't send an email on just one product that says it is gluten free.

I think they think it is legally safe to say stuff over the phone but they don't want to get caught putting anything in writting right now. Maybe that is why the online contact form didn't work. But as you can see Ghirardelli is light years ahead of Hershey's when it comes to providing safe disclosure of their ingredients to consumers. Also their website was manageable. I now need to give my Hershey products away and I advise others do as well. Something isn't right and I would recommend you play it safe. They also don't think we are a big enough group to make changes for. They are arrogant and want to remain stupid on this issue. So be it. We have other choices and vote with your pocket book. But I do think they should be held accountable for telling newbie or trusting celiacs it is safe when it isn't and they end up getting sick from it.

• 2 weeks later...
marciab Enthusiast

I've been eating the 85% dark chocolate for a couple of days now and still no "known" reaction.

I typically get horrible "D", myoclonus and insomia within 24 hours, but nothing yet ...

Marcia

Archived