• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Carnival Cruises

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Hi!

I will be traveling on a Carnival Cruise this summer. I did contact Carnival and they said I would need to talk to the head waiter the first night about a special diet and that I would be able to bring anything on board that I would need. Have any of you had this experience that you can share what you had brought yourself and what you were able to eat? They said that they did not have a specific gluten free meal request for the whole stay, but they would work it out when I was there? Any advice would be appreciated. I was on a few Carnival cruises years ago, but was not diagnosed at the time.

Thanks!

Kim

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I would insist on working it out ahead of time. I have had lousy experiences when I wait until I get there (not on Carnival but other places) and if they just don't get it, you're stuck with no other options. What about sending some gluten free food there ahead of time (i.e., bread or bread mixes, brownie mix, etc.)

Good luck, Kim.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Iowastatejake

• Topics

• I would not fret.   Has she improved?  That is what counts.  In my research, celiac experts have published studies that indicate that the DGP is a better indication of dietary compliance.  Some say the TTG is useful.  Some say that the celiac tests should only be used for diagnostic reasons and not compliance.  The reality is that not much research has been done to check for dietary compliance.  They are focusing on a cure or better treatment (medication).  Heck, they are just trying to get more celiacs identified (80% of celiac don’t even know they have it).   I think you are all doing a great job.  Her TTG came down and that is good news!  
    • No Ortega taco seasoning is not gluten free. I found out the hard way. It doesn't specify that there are wheat ingredients but you have to be very careful with "modified food starch."   Pionner brand makes a good gluten-free seasoning.
    • My daughter's TTG levels were elevated for 2 years, then she hit 14 (<15 is negative), then went back up to 24.  Her EMA is negative.  I just saw the article "Can Undetectable Negative Tissue Transglutaminase IgA antibodies Predict Mucosal Healing in Treated Celiac Disease Patients?" and am all worried again about her.  Does this mean she's not healing?  We are above super strict, gluten free household, keep her in a bubble and don't know why her TTG is elevated.  Her doctor is not concerned, so I am trying not to be, but I want me little girl to be healthy! Anyone else have any thoughts on this?  Thanks!
    • Everyone here has had great advice!  Celiac has made me a stronger person in standing up for myself and my family.  I HAVE protect my children as their mother, so I must stand up and do what is best for them.  We travel to visit family often, and while we get lots of questions and people who don't get it, I bring our own pots/pans, utensils, cutting board, etc.  Meal planning is a must when we're away and we've invested in a nice Yeti cooler that practically lives in our trunk.  We bring our own ham, sweet potatoes, green beans, etc to holiday functions even when family has insisted what they are making is safe.  It's just easier for me to relax and enjoy family when I know my kids have safe foods to eat.   Good luck!  The first times traveling are really hard, but you'll soon get into a groove.
    • All drugs, including over-the-counter, can have serious side effects (I am not talking about gluten exposures).  Each individual must decide (with a doctor’s input) what is best for them.  I think we have become a little too careless and dependent on easy access drugs.    Some have been around forever (like aspirin) but that does not make them safe.  I take antihistamines.  Safe?  Who knows?   But living with hives can be unbearable.  I am willing to take the risk!   Just be careful and follow the instructions on the bottle.   @LilyR  Look for the cause if your symptoms.  Sounds like you might be getting some gluten into your diet.  When that happens to me, I make a good homemade stew or soup.  I eat it morning, noon and night.  You should  eat anything that is easy to digest.  For example, cooked fruits and veggies vs. raw.  Salad can be hard to digest when your small intestine is inflamed.  Avoid processed foods.  Sure they are gluten free, but you might have an intolerance to a preservative or additive.  Gradually, go back to the regular gluten free diet when you feel better.  
  • Upcoming Events