This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mary Kay Cosmetics

teankerbell

teankerbell Apprentice

Has any one had a problem with MK stuff? I noticed the nail polish has gluten in it and my rep is giving me print outs of other items, it seems to me that most of the cosmetics are ok?

Wondering if any one has had a bad reaction to anything from MK?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ann1231 Enthusiast

Mary Kay is one makeup I absolutely can not wear. I don't know if it's gluten or what but within minutes of using it, my face is beet red and burning like crazy. It's the worst I've ever had as far as makeup reactions. Like I said, I don't know if it's gluten or not but there's definitely something in it that reacts badly on me.

Ann

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I don't know about Mary Kay stuff. My husband's best friend has a wife who is a consultant -- she used to drive me NUTS about buying it. I e-mailed Mary Kay.com, and their response was that the consultants have a list available to them . . . Now she says that there isn't a list, per se, but anything that I want to buy from her, I can look up on their website, contact them, and find out if that ITEM is gluten-free. Yeah, right. When pigs fly. I'll stick with Neutrogena.

plantime Contributor

I used to sell Mary Kay. The only makeups gluten free are the face powders and eye powders. They have wheat in almost all of it. They also use a lot (and I mean LOT!) of different herbs, so they might be causing a bad reaction, too.

tiffjake Enthusiast
I used to sell Mary Kay. The only makeups gluten free are the face powders and eye powders. They have wheat in almost all of it. They also use a lot (and I mean LOT!) of different herbs, so they might be causing a bad reaction, too.

I need to disagree with you. I sell Mary Kay now. There is wheat in a couple of things, but not much. I believe just seven items. And 2 of those are mascara's that are being phased out. If you guys want I will post a list of the ingredients in a certian product, just let me know which one. I can look it up easily on my consultant website. I was a D-I-Q but quit after a bitter battle with my director. I still buy for myself and sell to family and friends, but do not make it a business anymore. I can tell you that the concealer, the nail polish, the endless performance mascara, and a couple of other things DO have wheat protein in them.

Here is a list anyway:

Ingredient

Wheat Amino Acids

Functions:

Amino Acids and Derivatives (Including Peptides) : Used to help maintain healthy skin. These ingredients are the building blocks for proteins, like collagen.

Products containing this ingredient:

Daily Protection Moisturizer With Sunscreen SPF 15 (Discontinued - 9/16/04)

Ingredient

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Functions:

Film Former : Produces a continuous film on the skin or nails upon drying.

MK Signature™ Nail Enamel

MK Signature™ Flawless Mascara (Discontinued - 12/16/05)

Advanced Moisture Renewal® Treatment Cream

MK Signature™ Endless Performance™ Mascara (Discontinued - 12/16/05)

TimeWise® Day Solution With Sunscreen SPF 15 (Discontinued - 3/16/06)

Ingredient

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane

Functions:

Conditioner : Improves the appearance of skin (e.g. skin looks softer, smoother, etc.).

MK Signature™ Concealer

MK Signature™ Eye Primer

Like I said before, if there is a spesific product that you want to know about then let me know and I will look it up for you and get you a list of ingredients. Tiffany

teankerbell Apprentice

I need to disagree with you. I sell Mary Kay now. There is wheat in a couple of things, but not much. I believe just seven items. And 2 of those are mascara's that are being phased out. If you guys want I will post a list of the ingredients in a certian product, just let me know which one. I can look it up easily on my consultant website. I was a D-I-Q but quit after a bitter battle with my director. I still buy for myself and sell to family and friends, but do not make it a business anymore. I can tell you that the concealer, the nail polish, the endless performance mascara, and a couple of other things DO have wheat protein in them.

Thank you Tiffany! That was EXTREMELY helpful!

I finally got the info I needed from my rep. I noticed the nail polish. I get the new mascara that just came out and that is fine too. All the other products I use through MK are gluten-free. I don't use concealer so that isn't a problem for me either.

plantime Contributor

If that's so, Tiff, then the ingredients have been changed since I sold MK. Thanks for the update!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast
If that's so, Tiff, then the ingredients have been changed since I sold MK. Thanks for the update!

Perhaps they have, I am not sure when you quit selling. If you are still a consultant, you can go to your MK Intouch site and search for "ingredients" in the search box. The online consumer guide to ingredients will be the first search hit. It gives you a list of all products and ingredients. I wasn't trying to be rude, I hope I didn't come off that way. Let me know if there is one spesific product that you miss or want to know about and I will look it up for you! Tiffany

• 2 weeks later...
Megan Rookie

Oddly enough yes and I didn't make the connection until reading on different boards about needing to switch all of your products....

I have previously used mary kay and my foundation had become too dark so I ran to the store and bought some cheap stuff. I had a couple of really nasty break outs and so i started using the darker Mary Kay just in those spots to better hide them and for some reason those areas kept breaking out, worse and worse and worse. I called my rep to see if it contains gluten, because I noticed that the mascara does. NO reply...but I have stopped using the Mary kay on those spots and use the makeup i hve that is clearly labeled...and my face has begun to clear back up. So, I'm assuming it is one of those things that even if it's not listed there is still a chance.

janu Rookie
Perhaps they have, I am not sure when you quit selling. If you are still a consultant, you can go to your MK Intouch site and search for "ingredients" in the search box. The online consumer guide to ingredients will be the first search hit. It gives you a list of all products and ingredients. I wasn't trying to be rude, I hope I didn't come off that way. Let me know if there is one spesific product that you miss or want to know about and I will look it up for you! Tiffany

Tiffany - Thanks for your information. I have used MK for years. I have been gluten-free for just a year. The longer I'm gluten-free the more reactions I seem to have when I do get glutened! Lately after switching to the MK Full Coverage Foundation my face, especially around my mouth and chin, is constantly broken out with bumps. They don't get heads like pimples but they do hurt. Then in a few days they go away but others pop out !!!! Could this be the foundation? I use all MK products. When I called the company the lady said they don't test for gluten and I would have to have a private laboratory do the testing and pay for it myself. I was VERY disappointed with their reaction. I am now still using MK products: Visibly Fit Body Lotion, Day Radiance w/ sunscreen, Timewise age fighting moisturizer, Timewise day and night solution, Timewise microdermabrasion and Timewise 3 in 1 cleanser. What do you think about these products? I keep having recurring intestinal troubles and so far haven't found the culprit and am being VERY careful about the food products but maybe it's the cosmetics. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jan

• 3 years later...
K8G-Free Newbie

Let's think for a second about why we choose to purchase and use MK products. Is it the customer service? The excellent business model? The ease of purchase without the high pressure customer counter in a store? Perhaps it's all of these things. Why then would the company or consultants be criptic about disclosing the ingredients? I work very hard to stay safely away from gluten. Everything I touch I question whether it is safe for me. Why would I put what is basically poison for me on my face to be absorbed into my body. Because of the investment I have made into this product line for years I do not walk away from this company easily, but am in fact jettisoning all of these products in favor of those by companies which disclose their ingredients thereby partnering with me in my pursuit of safety.

minniejack Contributor

Let's think for a second about why we choose to purchase and use MK products. Is it the customer service? The excellent business model? The ease of purchase without the high pressure customer counter in a store? Perhaps it's all of these things. Why then would the company or consultants be criptic about disclosing the ingredients? I work very hard to stay safely away from gluten. Everything I touch I question whether it is safe for me. Why would I put what is basically poison for me on my face to be absorbed into my body. Because of the investment I have made into this product line for years I do not walk away from this company easily, but am in fact jettisoning all of these products in favor of those by companies which disclose their ingredients thereby partnering with me in my pursuit of safety.

As someone still selling Mk mainly for personal use--you hit the nail on the head. corporate just doesn't get it. There are many more companies out there willing to put their ingredients right on the label so that customers can see what they are buying. There were several products that had wheat in it that caused me problems and they would not replace for me because as a representative they felt that I should've known better. As if I knew for years that wheat was what was causing me problems. Sales reps are customers, too, and if they're sales force isn't happy with products, then how can they convince others that MK is so great.

MK is high in parabens and sulfites and other creepers that are not good for you. I won't let my DD16 use any of their products any more cause of their high bad environmental concerns.

Check out the skin deep database on ewg.com There are many other companies out there that provide a much safer alternative.

• 6 months later...
Ruth Talbott Rookie

I apologize for my ignorance, but *can* someone provide me with an up to date list of Mary Kay's gluten free products? I don't have a sales rep who can provide me with the information. Thanks!

• 9 months later...
nik95670 Rookie

I was briefly a MK consultant, won't get into the reasons why I'm not anymore but the statement from Mary Kay to me was that they don't put gluten ingredients into ANY of their products but they can't guarantee the ingredient because they are outsourced from other companies. Sooo... Not only is that not exactly true (we know some of the products absolutely have gluten in them) but I'm not confortable using anything the company can't 100% stand by. to make me more irritated, another consultant told me that she also has celiac disease & can use all their products so I can too. She obviously understands NOTHING about the disease.

• 1 year later...
BluebonnetWings Newbie

The info about gluten may be helpful, but do your homework on the ingredient so prevalent in MK products: paraben.  There's a whole family of them....Methy, Poly, etc.  Parabens are found in breast tumors!!!!   When you look in Whole Foods or health food stores, they often list the ingredients that are NOT in their products.  So, when you see "Paraben free" or no petrochemicals, no sodium Lauryl sulfate, no propylene glycol or phthalate free, etc.  you know that intelligent consumers have done their research on those additives and know that there must be something that makes them inappropriate for conscientious women. After all, anything you put on your skin, gets into your blood stream in 90 seconds!   Mary Kay or not....  beware!!!!!

Archived