This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Bad Is Wheat In Shampoo?

ErraticBinxie

turtle99 Rookie

Thx for the tips. good to know that Giovanni is gluten-free, I'll had that one to my list. California Baby , didn't think of using baby shampoo, good idea. I love the Aubrey skin care line, shampoos look good too.

A general question: I find that my skin was particularly dry, before going gluten-free. Did anyone else find that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Becky6 Enthusiast

I used to get itchy bumps on my head and my scalp itched really bad! My hair also was starting to fall out. I then noticed that there were 3 wheat ingredients in my shampoo! Once I stopped using it it all went away!

• 1 month later...
beth g Newbie

my mother and i have just got rid of the skin products.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I get a rash on my scalp from shampoos with wheat. I also get blisters near my hair and on my neck. They're not quite blisters, but not pimples either. I don't know whether they're DH, but since being gluten-free and switching shampoos, they've gone away.

I also get those little bumps that can be scratched off, separately from the rash and blisters. Some are deep under my skin on my chin and I don't know how to get rid of them. Sometimes they're there for months before they finally surface.

rottiloverthor Newbie

I know what you mean! You should really try the new shampoo and conditioner that comes in the bright green bottles and is called something related to sugar....... :unsure: nope still can not remember he name. But it is awesome stuff. If you have a Sam's card they sell it at most Sam's.

Thor

olalisa Contributor
I know what you mean! You should really try the new shampoo and conditioner that comes in the bright green bottles and is called something related to sugar....... :unsure: nope still can not remember he name. But it is awesome stuff. If you have a Sam's card they sell it at most Sam's.

Thor

Do you mean FRUCITSE maybe?

tiffjake Enthusiast
I had to switch shampoos becuase the wheat in it started giving me a rash of sorts on my scalp.

Ditto! I am glad I am not the only one! I was feeling weird because I know the big concern is if you get it in your mouth, but I had a rash-like spot at the base of my neck that my dermatologist couldn't figure out. I changed shampoos and it is gone (went from a gluten-containing to gluten-free one).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest ChloeB
I have my FAVORITE shampoo that I have been using for the last several months. I absolutely love it. It makes my hair smell so good and feel so soft. Today in the shower I just decided to read the ingredients for the first time and I saw that it has HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN in it. I am heart broken.

My question is, how bad can wheat protein in my shampoo really be and should I stop using it?

All of your thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

YOU PROBABLY SHOULD STOP USING IT BECAUSE MY MOM USED BED HEAD SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER AND GOT A LITTLE SICK BUT NOT MUCH. SORRY, BUT I DO HAVE SUGGESTION THAT ALSO MAKES YOUR HAIR SMELL GOOD SUAVE SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER!

• 8 months later...
Stagiary Newbie

I too wonder how bad wheat is in shampoo. What if I just keep my mouth shut and carefully wash off my face and hands afterwards? When I went gluten free summer 2006, I chucked all the gluten-containing personal care items. I had used Frieda Brilliant Brunette conditioner, Alterna Hemp damage repair leave in treatment, and Aveeno body wash. I switched to Dove everything because it seemed safe. I was confident I wasn't being glutened, but now my hair looks terrible. It became hopelessly dry, limp, and dull.

I've begun to do something about it, starting with cutting about 5 inches off my mane. I have a very thick head of fine straight dark brunette hair. I get frizzies when I blow my hair dry, when it's humid, and on most days ending in "y." I find that nearly every volumizing hair product has hdryolyzed wheat protein or oat protein in it. So do many "restructuring" and "repairing" products.

I researched until blue in the face and then bought Alterna Life volumizing shampoo ($18) and conditioner ($20) in green bottles that look like bamboo shoots. Both use hydrolyzed pearl and silk amino acids instead of wheat, oat, or mysterious "vegetable" protein. After two weeks, my hair is starting to come back. My hair is shiny again and the frizzies are taming down, but not all the way. Unfortunately, most of the other Alterna volumizing products (life mousse and caviar volume shampoo) have wheat (and oats) in them. Ick! Instead, I'm using Cibu non-aerosol mousse ($12), which, being very light, is perfect on my fine lifeless hair. What a godsend! I've also added Alterna Caviar Treatment Conditioner ($25) once a week, but the jury is still out on its effectiveness. It uses hydrolyzed soy protein.

I also noticed that Matrix Amplify gel is gluten free. I haven't tried it yet; I don't use gel much.

Maybe I'll get up the courage to branch out and try a gluten-containing product soon, but it's taken 6 months for my body to come back. I don't want to sabotage my progress, and I don't want the enemy on my head! I'm gonna try to silk and soy my hair back to life.

mellajane Explorer

I as well take no chances after almost a year of still having slight symptoms I quit using my favorite shampoo as well Biolage. The symptoms went away immedietly same for my lotions,massage oils especially. I am now three years Wheat and gluten free...I posted a new one about great shampoo.

Liz92 Rookie

to tell the truth i don't care if my shampoo has conditioner in it... seriously..... iv never had broblems, so..... ya.

i love paul mitchel hair conditioner to, i didn't know it had weat in it.. oh well. If it gives me problems ill let you know....

lol

gfp Enthusiast
to tell the truth i don't care if my shampoo has conditioner in it... seriously..... iv never had broblems, so..... ya.

i love paul mitchel hair conditioner to, i didn't know it had weat in it.. oh well. If it gives me problems ill let you know....

lol

When you say you "never had problems" then that rather depends on a lot of other things.

Lots of people eat out, share toasters and lots of other things and say they never have problems.

They could be correct but equally they may not see the problems because they are masking them.

The problem is how you define problems....

What I know for myself but also share with many many people here is there is gluten-free and gluten-free....

Before diagnosis I was already pretty gluten-free.... I identified for myself that if I ate wheat I was ill. I was rather lucky in that I was living in Africa at the time in a place where eating gluten was pretty much eating bread/pasta or not... and 99% of my diet was fresh vegetables and meat anyway just because of what was available...

Anyway .... I noticed a very big improvement to my health just by cutting out large sources of gluten, even though I still on occaision got glutened by CC or soy sauce or whatever...

When I was diagnosed I figured I was essentially gluten-free, so I removed obvious gluten sources and felt better again...

I continued happy with my new found health.... I still had some episodes but I was so used to feeling this way I thought everyone felt like that from time to time..... just as I had with the whole thing...

Then as others have said, I hit a plateau. I got challenged by someone on a board like this (actually a UK one) about CC and stuff.

I was sure I was gluten-free.... I convinced myself I wasn't THAT intolerant... but I WAS WRONG.....

This is back pre-labelling days.... I cut out all gluten totally ... I ate ONLY 100% guaranteed stuff for 3 months and my health was fantastic.... I didn't eat anything I didn't prepare myself from fresh fruits, vegetables and meats ...

After a while I started to add back supposedly safe foods, tortilla chips (100%) corn were one of these... my health dropped back to pre-100% days.... In this way I identified several hundred products which were "gluten-free" that made me ill.

This wouldn't mean much in the wider scheme of things but then when the labelling laws changed I started to see the products I had previously identified as making me ill now said things like "trace of gluten" and "glucose syrop from wheat" or "modified food starch may have traces of gluten" .... This even included some Asprin I had identified as making me ill.

My list overlapped this so much I cannot think its coincidence.... the tortilla chips in question said "made in the same factory as" ...

Anyway, I then cut all these out.... changed my toiletries etc. and went back to the best heatlh ever for 20 yrs.

One day I ran out of shampoo, I had some way at the back of the bathroom cabinet that had been a part of a Christmas present ... so I got it out and washed my hair.

That week I got progressively weirder.... I just felt weirder and weirded but it wsn't for 3-4 days until it hit me... I still had no idea what but the incident was in public and very embarassing.... it involved me having to shower when I got home...

As I was showering feeling like crap I read the label "Enriched with pure wheat protein" ....

I don't want to trivialise what you said but if you have been using this shampoo all the time and/or you have some traces of gluten in your diet then my question is "how would you know you never had problems?"

Many of us have had symptoms we didn't realise were symptoms, quite simply we thought everyone felt like that from time to time.

In most cases when people take the final step ... they discover they had masked symptoms....

I can't say in your case you do but I'd encourage you to find out if you haven't been 100% zero tolerance strict before...

Liz92 Rookie

hmmm.... maby ill try going 100 % gluten-free for a while.... thnx

georgie Enthusiast
As I was showering feeling like crap I read the label "Enriched with pure wheat protein" ....

I know someone that got this weird rash on her feet after changing her shampoo to an 'organic' one. When the red pustules appeared she immed thought of DH and changed her shampoo. Within weeks her rash disappeared.

• 2 years later...
tatersalad Newbie

Hello,

I have been researching some of the products I use and contacting the MFG. Here is the latest for Pantene:

Thanks for contacting Pantene.

We know Celiac is a serious disease, so we want to give you clear information regarding the use of our beauty care products. If wheat and/or gluten aren't directly added to a product by us, these ingredients won't be listed on our packages. Like many companies, we often purchase the scents for fragranced products from outside suppliers, and the components of these substances are proprietary information belonging to those companies. Therefore it's possible that a very small amount (generally parts per million) of gluten may be present.

We sought advice from physicians; they told us it would be very unlikely a person with Celiac disease would have a reaction from a trace amount of gluten coming into contact with his skin or hair. This is because wheat, rye, barley and/or gluten generally cause symptoms when they're ingested. Since our beauty care products are designed to be used externally on the skin, their use shouldn't be an issue for someone with this disease.

Since gluten sensitivity can vary among people, it would be best if you consulted with your physician about the use of all types of consumable goods, if you haven't already. You might even consider using one of our fragrance free products that doesn't list gluten or wheat extracts on the label.

Thanks again for getting in touch with us. I hope this response has been helpful to you. For more information about Celiac, you may want to check out Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link

John

Pantene Team

tatersalad Newbie

Hello,

Hope this helps someone. This is for MG217 Shampoo:

We apologize for taking so long to get back to you. We checked with our supplier and MG217 Medicated Tar Shampoo is gluten free.

Your interest is appreciated and we look forward to serving you.

Lori Wright

General Manager

TRITON CONSUMER PRODUCTS, INC.

561 W. Golf Road

Arlington Heights, IL 60005

847.228.7650 Phone

847.228.7691 Fax

• 7 months later...
brittanymaine Newbie

i honestly think it's hard enough finding foods without gluten in them.

really, what are the chances of the shampoo getting in your mouth and having enough gluten in it to make you sick?

• 1 year later...
rml97 Rookie

It depends on your sensitivity...I was about to use some body wash with wheat protien in it and when I realized what was in it I washed it off and rewashed with a different (gluten-free) product. I thought I was fine but when I dried off I was itchy and when I looked at my leg(only place that actually had contact with the wash)my skin was red and bumpy with a horrible rash. I read all my health care products now before getting to the register.

• 3 weeks later...
Junior Chef Rookie

I used to use a dandruff shampoo with gluten in it. Even though it was supposed to completely eliminate dandruff, it really didn't help a whole lot. Then I went gluten free, and realized I got quite a bit less dandruff. I finally switched to gluten free shampoo (Suave naturals), and I have no dandruff now. I also used to use Aussie hair gel, but then I realized that I'm highly allergic to it (it makes me very nauseated until it dries). Turns out it contains gluten. I'm not sure if I'm just allergic to it, or if it's the gluten, but either way, I don't use it any more. I actually don't use any hair gel now.

Skylark Collaborator

I don't know if anyone has noticed but this thread was started in 2006. The people originally asking the questions are probably long gone. If you have a shampoo question you might start a new thread. ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest Runningdream

I use herbal essence and I don't have any problems with it

IrishHeart Veteran

I use herbal essence and I don't have any problems with it

this thread was started several years ago and the people you are responding to may not be on the site anymore.

You can start a new thread, if you wish.

Archived