This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Honey Comb

happy4dolphins

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

HI,

I had some honey comb on Sunday Morning and 40 minutes after eating eat I was sick to my tummy until Monday morning. Not sick enought to keep me down, but enough to feel blah. Was I glutened?

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

If I remember right, that cereal has oats. I would have to look it up to be totally sure. You were probably glutened. I totally stay away from oats. There is no way to guarantee that there isn't cross contamination with them. Also there are some celiacs that react to the protein in oats. So, personally, I steer clear. It sounds like you need to also :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

HI,

I had some honey comb on Sunday Morning and 40 minutes after eating eat I was sick to my tummy until Monday morning. Not sick enought to keep me down, but enough to feel blah. Was I glutened?

Nicole

lovegrov Collaborator

If you're talking about the cereal, it's not gluten-free.

richard

jenvan Collaborator

Yup, stay away from that cereal--it does have oats, which are mostly likely contaminated in this country, even if pure oats don't give you a reaction.

Cin Rookie

I guess this would be an appropriate thread to ask this question????

Being newly diagnosed and not "sick" or symptomatic as a rule because I was only tested because of family history, I thought if you were not "sick" so to say that oats would be okay????? Is it true that if you are originally diagnosed after being sick that you should stay off oats for 6 months and then slowly add them back to see if it bothers you? What do you experts think? Thanks

jenvan Collaborator

here is a good thread on the oats debate you can read: Open Original Shared Link So you were tested and all your tests were negative and you have no noticeable issues with gluten? (Wasn't sure from your post)... There are two things with oats. 1st, most oats are contaminated in the US--just part of the growing, processing/milling etc...so, most aren't safe for those on a gluten-free diet. I also have a study I can e-mail you, if you like, on 3 major brands and their results from batch testing for gluten. (they each had dectectable levels of gluten) 2nd, there is a small percentage of people who do react to pure oats, but at this point there is no way of testing to see who those people are. and IMO the only way to know if you are truly reacting to oats if you are eating them all the time would be follow up testing, endoscopy, blood work etc. b/c sometimes internal damage can be occurring without an exterior manifestations or symptoms. but if you are someone who does not react to pure oats, you have to refer back to #1. at this point i have not as of yet seen or been convinced of a completely gluten-free, non-contaminated brand of oats. these are my thoughts until more research and testing really comes out on this topic. hope that answers the question or part of it !

Cin Rookie

I as a rule do not eat a lot of gluten products because I have been following a modified South Beach phase 1 which includes mostly dairy, meats, veggies etc and I chose not to eat breads, pastas and grains to help with weight loss. I have been following this for 2 plus years. I was only tested because 4 first degree relatives were positive.

A few days prior to testing I started to eat bread and pasta again so I would not get negative results. My IgA was 43 with a less than 25 negative. My MD said given my family history and dietary restrictions prior to testing she is sure I have celiacs.

I added gluten to my diet for 2 weeks and found gassy uncomfortable lower abdominal discomfort- not severe- I have gone back to basic gluten free with oats only and have had no symptoms.....yet....it has been about 10 days. Thanks for your info. I will look at it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 7 years later...
hnybny Newbie

Ingredients
Corn Flour, Sugar, Whole Grain Oat Flour, Whole Grain Corn Flour, Honey, Salt, Yellow 5. Bht Added To Packaging Material To Preserve Product Freshness. Vitamins And Minerals: Niacinamide (B Vitamin), Reduced Iron, Zinc Oxide (Source Of Zinc), Vitamin B6, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid (B Vitamin), Vitamin B12,Vitamin D.

Though the cereal is manufactured on equipment that processes wheat.

GottaSki Mentor

Ingredients

Corn Flour, Sugar, Whole Grain Oat Flour, Whole Grain Corn Flour, Honey, Salt, Yellow 5. Bht Added To Packaging Material To Preserve Product Freshness. Vitamins And Minerals: Niacinamide (B Vitamin), Reduced Iron, Zinc Oxide (Source Of Zinc), Vitamin B6, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid (B Vitamin), Vitamin B12,Vitamin D.

Welcome HoneyBunny!

Just wanted to let you know this thread is seven years old...doubtful that the original posters are still about.  It is good to update product info == so thanks!

Hang out....glad to see you here.

psawyer Proficient

Ingredients

Regular commercial oat flour is not safe due to contamination with wheat.
mbrookes Community Regular

Here's how goofy I am... I thought she meant real honey comb, you know, from a bee hive. I was ready to say "Of course it is gluten free." 

Archived