This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Insomnia

willow

willow Newbie

Hi,

I am new to the site and was wondeing if any of you have suffred

from insomnia. I was dx 3 years ago after going from dr to dr . I think celica has always been with me . I just thought going through this was just the way my body body works.Thanks for taking the time out to read my post.

Willow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kejohe Apprentice

Hi,

I'm not a diagnosed celiac, but my son is. I just recently posted in the "Sleep" section about kids sleep habits. My son is 3 y/o and still wakes up several times a night. I don't know if that is because of his celiac, or just because he's a 3 y/o kid, but either way, some of the replies I got made me wonder about insomnia being a heriditary thing, with or with out the celiac. I have been an insomniac nearly all my life, and I have a hard time taking aids to help me sleep, so I just try and deal with it, but I also have symptoms of celiac disease, it's just that my first blood test was neg, and I haven't pressed the matter. My mother also suffers from insoomnia from time to time, and she also has celiac disease symptoms.

I don't know if this is just babble or if it actualy helps, but in any case I wish you luck!

• 4 weeks later...
rsavage Newbie
:rolleyes: Dear Willow, I am a celiac, have ov course been all my life. Was finally diagnosed March 2002. I experienced such deep sleep before I became completely disabled with celiac that I would stop breathing. Since that time, when it got severe, I have been a chronic insomniac. I don't know if this is part of the disease, but I have personal thoughts that it is. I guess it is like we have heard before, we need more research. Anyway, my opinion for what it is worth. Royann
judy04 Rookie

Hi, I've had Insomnia for many years. I always attributed it to

Thyroid disease and/or menopause. However I think it may

also be another one of those symptoms that seem to vary from

person to persons with celiac disease and wheat allergy. I have been using Ambien

for several months, but I stopped a few weeks ago after tachycardia began

soon after ingesting it. I then looked it up in a reference book which

said it is not gluten-free and it contains wheat starch..

flaxy Newbie

i'm new to this group AND new to being diagnosed with celiac, though i have had it all my life. how do i know this? when i was two y/o, i had my first barium test because i always complained of tummy aches. i was born in '55, and i'm quite sure the medical world had no idea what celiac was, and the docs told my mother that it must be psychological because i had a new baby brother. (jealousy)

oh brother...my theory is: at two years old, i started eating more 'adult' food, like crackers, bread, cream o' wheat, cookies, etc. and my body freaked out.

the question at hand though was about insomnia. i have had insomnia all my life. i sleep often during the day to make up for the lack of sleep at night. oh, i know it just adds to the vicious circle, but those eye lids just keep falling...

for the most part it's okay for me to have a wacky sleeping pattern, because i'm disabled (not cuz of celiac) and only work part time. i have tried some sleeping aids like restoril which works, but i woke up with a giant headache (which would go away after about 20 min). i tried other sleeping pills which gave me horrible dreams...i hate most sleep pills, but have found something light like xanax, ativan or atirax (sp) makes me sleepy within 15 minutes for xanax, and longer for the others, and yes, i wake up a few times during the night, but without the initial aid, i wouldn't get to sleep at all... i don't know if this helps, i'm just trying to find my way around this place and this dialogue...

having just learned i have celiac, i sure am glad i love rice!

flaxy

Laura Apprentice

I've had lifelong insomnia, but since it was from the first day my parents brought me home from the hospital, I don't see how it could be related to celiac disease since I'd not had any gluten then. (Before you feel too sorry for my parents, know that once I did get to sleep I slept through the night.)

rsavage Newbie
:lol: Judy, Thanks for the info about Ambien. I had taken it before diagnosis and wondered why my diagnostician had pulled it. Still have trouble but at least I'm gluten free. I hope. Royann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alexa11219 Newbie

Hi guys. I have been having problems with my sleep since I was a teenager (now I'm 50+). My severe celiac symptoms started 3 years ago, severe sleep problems - a year later, I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance 5 months ago. From bad experience, I don't trust doctors at all, at least I haven't found any I can trust to. I been taking different pills for depression and I couldn't tolerate any of them. Last fall I went to phychiatrist who prescribed Melatonin, a hormone responsible for sleep. She suggested my body didn't produce enough to help me sleep normally. I found one at Duane Reade Pharmacy, by Natrol, no yeast, wheat, corn, milk, egg, soy, glutens, artificial colors or flavors, added sugar, strach or preservatives, and it works for me. Recently, I bought Sleep Tight Factors by Country Life, Hypoallergenic Vegetarian from a Whole Foods Market, no yeast, corn, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, salt, sugar, starch, preservatives, artificial colors. It's not that good. At least on Melatonin I fall asleep sooner, I wake up only once or twice a night instead of 5 to 6 times, sleep is much deeper, nightmeres rare. Each body reacts for different meds in its own way. Maybe, maybe any of them will work for you. It's just a piece of info.

• 4 weeks later...
YankeeDB Contributor

I'm sure this is obvious but I'll mention these things anyway just for completeness: my insomnia improved when I limited my caffeine intact to 2 drinks before 1 pm and got at least 10 minutes of exercise that day. Also, I limit alcohol consumption to about 1 or 2 glasses of wine per week and never on consecutive nights. Even so, I can usually count on worse sleep when I have the wine (ah, but I like it so much!)

• 1 month later...
faithladene Rookie

Alexa, thank you, so very much for responding and telling us about Melatonin. My fiance has severe Celiac disease and is in dire need of sleep. I will go to the health food store, today, so, he can try it.

I had learned about Melatonin, some years ago, but, forgot all about it. I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it. Thanks again, Alexa.

Faith

faithladene Rookie

Just a note to say melatonin helped my fiance be able to sleep deeper on the very first night. He still woke up often, but, was able to go back to sleep quickly, whereas, before, he was up a long time.

Of course, he has only taken it for 2 nights, so, I hope he will even do better as time goes on.

• 2 weeks later...
vishalrao Newbie

Hi!

I had been having problems with my digestive system since last 9 years and have lost almost 10 kilos. My health has also extremely deteriorated. No sleep, no appetite and chronic fatigue.

Although I knew that some foods like Wheat didn't go with my system, I had no idea about Celiac until now! I tried all sorts of medications but in vain. Though I have not conducted any tests now, I'm sure that I have Celiac and I thank god for pointing me in the right direction.

Regarding sleep, since Celiacs are seriously deficient in vital nutrients, many of us might also be deficient of Mganesium. I have read that Magnesium deficiency can hamper lot of vital functions including sleep. Those who have sleep problems can try taking Magnesium suplement or foods rich in Magnesium (instead hormones) and see if sleep improves.

Here's are articles on Magnesium deficiency:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Best wishes,

Vishal

Guest LisaB

On the magnesium, I take a good ionic liquid magnesium (Trace Minerals Mega Mag, tastes yukky, but works GREAT) right before bed and it works like a charm, I get sleepy in about 10 minutes and sleep great. The only problem I still have is that with my menstral cycle I still have trouble for about a week even with the mag. but it is sooooo much better even with that.

I tried Melatonin and would only sleep 4 hours and then wake and it made me CRANKY. For some people Ornithine alone, taken at bedtime will help as well. You start with one capsule (I use NOW brand) on an empty tummy right when you lay down for sleep, if that doesn't work keep adding a capsule at a time until it does. I used to have to take about 8 or so but it worked well, but the magnesium works far better for me, and it is helping straighten out my hormones in general. I have a long way to go, but getting sleep sure helps!

I'm off to take my magnesium and hit the hay...good night all!

• 4 weeks later...
XoHeatherxO Rookie

Me too! I was just diagnosed about a month ago, but for the past year and a half while I have been very sick I have not been able to sleep!! I take tylenol pm every night and wake up so many times!! Hopefully someone can help....

• 3 months later...
CoolCat1 Rookie

Try Imovane(sleeping pill). I just take 1/3 of a pill. It gets me sleeping. I tried Melatonin and it only works sometimes. A glass of wine and melatonin worked though. I would think Tylennol is a bad choice for longer because could it not damage your organs?

• 5 months later...
lcmcafee2 Newbie

I am VERY new at this message board stuff ... in answer to the question about not being able to sleep ... I too have had that problem for years. I have been in the testing process to determine if I have celiac disease. The blood work came back as very high, but the biopsies are not confirming that diagnosis. This last "episode" started in the Summer of 2004 and we are still looking to put a name to it. I have been gluten free for 3 weeks. At Thanksgiving (2004 when I had the biopsies) the doctor told me to go gluten-free and I tried, just had to educate myself in all that stuff is in! I think I could almost put up with all the stomach and diarrhea problems if I could just get enough sleep and not be so fatigued. Over the years I have tried the over the counter sleep aids, to Aroma Therapeutix, to prescriptions!

It is nice to have a sounding board to get more ideas. Thanks for any help, suggestions.

Laura

• 4 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

judy04 - Thanx for the info about AMBIEN. My thyroid doc game me a Rx for it and I was unable to get it filled at $130.00 for 30 pill. The sticker shock got to me (Ooch! I have no health insurance). I went back and she game me somethng else the other day (I wish I wrote it down so I could share it with the group) it had dairy in it. I returned it and never took it either.

I have been taking LORAZEPAM, when I get stressed, my heart races, can't sleep or when I have one of my seizures. It does help take the edge off. But my face, eyes, and gands get puffy when I take them for a day or so following. I'm a real life DIVA and I am super VAIN. One of my girlfriends mentioned the other day how I had puffy eyes and circles. I had been taking the LORAZEPAN the days prior to her comment. I don't know what's in them that is causing it, I'll look it up. Does anyone else here take it and have any reaction to it?

Regarding taking magnesium and the thyorid medication I just started taking... the doc told me not to take magnesium. I have a feeling she is misleading me. How should I take it?

• 3 months later...
PrincessLEah Rookie

I have insomia too. I was also diagnosed 3 years ago. I use Valarian to help get to sleep :)

PrincessLEah Rookie

Melatonin! :o It is not for Celiacs! we tried it and it made me sick! Also I my doctor informed me that it was not supposed to be taken by celiacs.

ianm Apprentice

Did the melatonin you were taking have gluten in it? I have taken melatonin and have had no problems with it.

namnammo Newbie

arg I have insomnia almost every night when I eat wheat

flour! Which is weird because I have been diagosed at birth and I used to just get cramps when I was little but now it doesn't hurt when I eat wheat flour I just can't sleep. :/ But has any one else heard any thing about that new pill doctors said the developing to make it so you can eat gluten stuff for a while after taking it?

Mosaics Collaborator

I have celiac disease and so do both of my children. My daughter, who is 21 now, has had problems sleeping for years. I suggested melatonin and it seems to work well for her although it hasn't alleviated the problem altogether.

Mosaics Collaborator
arg I have insomnia almost every night when I eat wheat

flour! Which is weird because I have been diagosed at birth and I used to just get cramps when I was little but now it doesn't hurt when I eat wheat flour I just can't sleep. :/ But has any one else heard any thing about that new pill doctors said the developing to make it so you can eat gluten stuff for a while after taking it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Namnammo, I've heard of that. Oddly enough, my step mother-in-law has celiac disease. She is acquainted with the researcher who really brought celiac disease to light in this country. He said they are working on such a pill and making headway. It won't be ready soon, but should be out within 10 years. I'm hoping it'll be sooner.

dd6444 Rookie

Hey, guess what? I have insomnia too. It got worse when I started my gluten-free diet, but I'm just going through gluten withdrawal... Right now its like 2 am, and i'll probably be up for a few more hours... Nice to know that I'm not the only one here with it.

bluefin Newbie

hello

my father was suffering from a similar problem of sleeping disorder

he was afraid to take any medicines for inducing sleep

however the doctor told him to take Open Original Shared Link

as it was herbal he didnt have any side effects as such

Hi,

I am new to the site and was wondeing if any of you have suffred

from  insomnia. I was dx 3 years ago after going from dr to dr . I think celica has always been with me . I just thought going through this was just the way my body body works.Thanks for taking the time out to read my post.

Willow

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived