This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Olive Garden

barbara3675

barbara3675 Rookie

My mother says she went to Olive Garden today and they had a gluten free menu for her. There were three items on it: the T-Bone, pork and salmon. I had pretty much figured out that the steak and salmon were gluten-free as our family had eaten there recently, but now they say the pork is gluten-free too. I know a lot of gluten-free people steer clear of Olive Garden and with good reason, but maybe now we can reconsider. I wonder what they say about their salad dressing and the parmeasan cheese on their salad? Olive Garden is the #1 dining place in that particular category and a favorite in my family especially one of my older granddaughters (not the one with celiac disease). Has anyone else had a good experience there? Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

key Contributor

THis previously was my favorite restaurant. I don't eat any meat though, so this would be out, but I have wondered too about their dressing? Maybe someone knows. There website doesn't mention anything that I could find previously. Would like to know.

Monica

erin24 Explorer
THis previously was my favorite restaurant. I don't eat any meat though, so this would be out, but I have wondered too about their dressing? Maybe someone knows. There website doesn't mention anything that I could find previously. Would like to know.

Monica

I went there a couple of weeks ago. I got the salmon and it was pretty good. I guess I get really tired of salmon though. Our waitress said the salad is gluten-free. However, she still put croutons in it. I decided not to eat it mainly b/c there were croutons in it. Our waitress was really willing to help and she seemed pretty confident that the salad is gluten-free. Hope that helps.

minibabe Contributor

Wow, I thought that this place was off limits......I will have to go and try it out. :)

Guhlia Rising Star

I just got an e-mail response from them a few days ago. Here's what they had to say:

Dear Angie:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding menu items for Gluten Intolerant guests. We can recommend the following items with some adjustments. Let your server know you are interested in menu items especially for Gluten Intolerance. Your server will be happy to accommodate your request.

Salads

Garden Salad - Order without croutons

Caesar Salad - Order without croutons

Entrees

Tuscan T-Bone brushed with Italian herbs and served with seasoned broccoli Pork Filettino marinated in extra-virgin olive oil and rosemary and served with seasoned broccoli Herb-Grilled Salmon brushed with Italian herbs and extra-virgin olive oil accompanied by seasoned broccoli

While Olive Garden has made an effort to provide complete and current gluten content information, changes in recipes, and the hand crafted nature of our menu items, mean that variations in the ingredient profile of a particular menu item may occur from time to time. Therefore, we make no guarantees regarding the gluten content of any of these items. Guests with gluten intolerance or other special food sensitivities or dietary needs should not rely solely on this information as the basis for deciding whether to consume a particular menu item, and are individually responsible for ensuring that any such menu item meets their individual dietary requirements. Olive Garden assumes no liability for your use of this information. Any medical concerns regarding the consumption of these items should be directed to your physician or other health care provider. If you would like to speak with an Olive Garden representative, please call us at 1-800-331-2729.

Andy

Olive Garden Guest Relations

frenchiemama Collaborator

I've eaten there gluten-free, it wasn't too bad. I do love the salad. My only complaint is that I flippin' hate cooked broccoli, and it's the only veggie that they have. Barf. Can't they get some green beans or something??

tiffjake Enthusiast

Thank you soooo much for posting this! My husband loves olive garden, and wanted to go there when he gets home from Iraq. Thanks for letting me know this because I would have never gone there again assuming that I couln't eat anything they had! God Bless You!!! Tiffany

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jams Explorer

Things may have changed since I used to work there... but I would NEVER eat the salad. There is a HUGE risk of CC. It is set up as a buffet. Salad is first in a big chiller. Then then there is a long section that houses the veggies, (blk olives, toms, onion) CROUTONS, and dressing. Our favorite thing to do was pull out the croutons that had falledn in the dressing and eat them. This happened a lot!!

I would ask the manager/server if the server/salad person still make the salads. Then ask them if croutons are housed right next to the dressing. It is all done so fast to keep up with the rush that things fly everywhere.

I don't want to dissapoint anyone, I just don't want anyone to get sick. :)

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Thanks for the advice on the salad at the Olive Garden. I pretty much thought they were off limits for us too. I am so glad I can go there again. We so enjoy the sangria that they make there. It is soooo good! I would think we probably could have that?

Tinkerbell

KayJay Enthusiast

My family sometimes buys the dressing and we put it on our salads at home. It is really good that way too and you know that it is safe :D

Idahogirl Apprentice

I just can't imagine Olive Garden and no soup, salad and breadsticks! We used to go there all the time for lunch, and I would get the Zuppe Tuscana soup and dip my breadstick in it. I think I would have a hard time watching people eat all the good stuff with the pasta and sauces. Although, it is great that they are becoming aware of gluten intolerance.

Lisa

tiffjake Enthusiast

OK, I went to my local olive garden and it was terrible!!!!! There was no menu, and the manager had no idea what I was talking about. He handed me the sheet that talks about the garden fare (or healthier options) and on the front of it is says to "ask a manager about our menu for guests with a gluten intolerence". He was really suprised to see that! He said that it meant that all he was to do was to help me navigate the normal menu. He suggested the t-bone with the potatos. When I got it I saw that they were fried potatos. I had to send it back. Then he said that the only option was the broccoli. I got that instead, but was just overall dissapointed. Just wanted to share that experience with someone else so you don't get your hopes up and get dissapointed like me!!

jenvan Collaborator
Things may have changed since I used to work there... but I would NEVER eat the salad. There is a HUGE risk of CC. It is set up as a buffet. Salad is first in a big chiller. Then then there is a long section that houses the veggies, (blk olives, toms, onion) CROUTONS, and dressing. Our favorite thing to do was pull out the croutons that had falledn in the dressing and eat them. This happened a lot!!

Good to know--scary too!!

On that note, I have a friend who was a server at a local restaurant, they also had a similar salad set-up. For some reason she said they would get spiders and "bugs" in the salad from time to time. They'd just pull them out before serving. Yikes! :o

jams Explorer
Thanks for the advice on the salad at the Olive Garden. I pretty much thought they were off limits for us too. I am so glad I can go there again. We so enjoy the sangria that they make there. It is soooo good! I would think we probably could have that?

Tinkerbell

I'd also ask how they make the sangria. My friend has a great recipe that has lemonade or rasp lemonade in it. You just need to watch out for that.

Jen,

YUCK!! That gives me the creapies just thinking that could happen anywhere!!

• 3 years later...
ciavyn Contributor

Update on Olive Garden - I just spoke to their customer relations office. When you are ordering their salad: order it crouton free, and quite honestly, I'd order it without any toppings. THEN order the to-go dressing cups. These are prepackaged from the company, and are gluten free (no CC to worry about.) It's a safer way to enjoy their yummy dressing (definitely my FAVORITE dressing).

Juliebove Rising Star

Update on Olive Garden - I just spoke to their customer relations office. When you are ordering their salad: order it crouton free, and quite honestly, I'd order it without any toppings. THEN order the to-go dressing cups. These are prepackaged from the company, and are gluten free (no CC to worry about.) It's a safer way to enjoy their yummy dressing (definitely my FAVORITE dressing).

We went there today. Were told that the dressing is NOT gluten free. We had the pasta. I thought it was okay. I am really getting sick of pasta though. Daughter loved it.

• 1 month later...
hipretty Apprentice

wow that is good news. I haven't eaten there since a rep from the company said "we suggest you find somewhere else to eat!". Not only was I disappointed as it was my favorite place for soup & salad...I was angry at the heartless let down!

elle's mom Contributor

We went there today. Were told that the dressing is NOT gluten free. We had the pasta. I thought it was okay. I am really getting sick of pasta though. Daughter loved it.

It says right on their website under the gluten free tab on the garden fare menu that the "signature italian dressing" is gluten free......

Open Original Shared Link

Maybe whoever told you that was misinformed? So frustrating and scary when you get conflicting information like this.

Juliebove Rising Star

It says right on their website under the gluten free tab on the garden fare menu that the "signature italian dressing" is gluten free......

Maybe whoever told you that was misinformed? So frustrating and scary when you get conflicting information like this.

Hmmm... I don't know then.

• 2 weeks later...
jayceedan Newbie

ok thing about olive garden is that the signature italian dressing contains trace amounts of gluten they are low but some people like my fiancee are allergic to the slightest amount and if you are allergic or intolerant its not a good idea. as for the link it doesnt say that it says the salad is and lists the dressing prob because the parts per million content is accepted even by the celiac society. whoever above posted said that "we had the pasta" pasta is not gluten free i dont know if that was an oversight or just a language error meaning she had it but not her daughter, simply whoever has celiac dont eat it. the brocoli is also blanched in the pasta water and the meats are grilled on the same grill. even if they use and extra pan which they will on request they use vegetable oil some of which contains wheat. sorry to rain on the parade i just wanted to get some info out there.

digmom1014 Enthusiast

I got cc'd from the pasta last week. I'm going to try it again since our waiter wasn't knowlegable, he brought bread to the table without asking. It was nice to go out and eat with everyone else again! Hopefully the cc will not happen again!

Lisa Mentor

ok thing about olive garden is that the signature italian dressing contains trace amounts of gluten they are low but some people like my fiancee are allergic to the slightest amount and if you are allergic or intolerant its not a good idea. as for the link it doesnt say that it says the salad is and lists the dressing prob because the parts per million content is accepted even by the celiac society. whoever above posted said that "we had the pasta" pasta is not gluten free i dont know if that was an oversight or just a language error meaning she had it but not her daughter, simply whoever has celiac dont eat it. the brocoli is also blanched in the pasta water and the meats are grilled on the same grill. even if they use and extra pan which they will on request they use vegetable oil some of which contains wheat. sorry to rain on the parade i just wanted to get some info out there.

Hi Jayceedan and welcome!

Could you please state you sources for your information, or perhaps you were posting your speculation. Many people here rely on accurate information for their health. :)

According to my understanding, the gluten free pasta comes prepared and is not cooked in the restaurant kitchen, just heated.

Here are Olive Garden's Gluten Free options: (again)

JustLovely9216 Rookie

Hi Jayceedan and welcome!

Could you please state you sources for your information, or perhaps you were posting your speculation. Many people here rely on accurate information for their health. :)

According to my understanding, the gluten free pasta comes prepared and is not cooked in the restaurant kitchen, just heated.

Here are Olive Garden's Gluten Free options: (again)

That is 100% correct. I went today for the first time since going without gluten and ordered that. I found it to be terrible. Absolutely gross. No sauce, and they couldn't add any more or it would "risk cc" I asked if they could just chop up a tomato and was told "no, they all are pre-chopped". I sent it back and walked right out.

I am still angry. It ruined the ONE meal I got to eat with my husband this week because of his late work hours.

• 3 weeks later...
Dannyfor zsuzy Newbie

They now offer Gluten Free Pasta at the Olive Gardens in Tucson,AZ so I think it's probably everywhere.

• 3 months later...
Juliebove Rising Star

Daughter and I dined there again last night. I ordered the dressing on the side because I hate dressing on my salad. Waitress told me it was not gluten-free. When I said that the menu indicated that it was, she called another waitress over who also said that it was not. I pointed out that the menu said the salad was safe, minus the croutons.

Daughter ate it with seemingly no problems, but... She has outgrown her gluten allergy. Is still allergic to wheat though. This is just frustrating to me.

Archived