This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rosacea--now I've Got It

jenvan

jenvan Collaborator

Anyone else have rosacea? If so--have you identified any triggers, causes, good treatments etc? Just got diagnosed with it yesterday...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Jen--I was diagnosed with it in 2000. I tried metrogel, but honestly didn't see much of a difference. I eased up on my skin care--stopped using Proactiv because of the little cleansing grains. I now use a facial cleanser by MyChelle that I get at Whole Foods. They use very good, soothing natural ingregients--and I called them and they do not use gluten in anything. Heat is a trigger for me--

jenvan Collaborator

Heat like in a hot shower or heat like in summer? My doc gave me a prescip for metrogel...I think I used it once years ago. We'll see I guess. Has yours ever gotten significantly worse or does it stay about the same? I'm worried its going to get bad...stupid to worry I know...but I'm like, at least if I'm not feeling great I can look great!! Thanks Patti :)

jerseyangel Proficient
Heat like in a hot shower or heat like in summer? My doc gave me a prescip for metrogel...I think I used it once years ago. We'll see I guess. Has yours ever gotten significantly worse or does it stay about the same? I'm worried its going to get bad...stupid to worry I know...but I'm like, at least if I'm not feeling great I can look great!! Thanks Patti :)

Frankly, mine was worse before I improved my diet--I believe that in my case, cutting dairy foods made a difference. It was worse before--the diet and the mild cleansing (avoid sodium laurel sulfate and other harsh things) have definately made a difference. It's not bad at all now--greatly improved. Since you already practice these things, perhaps the metrogel will make a difference for you. (and thinking about it, maybe would now for me, too) I remember that it said it will not cause immediate results, so give that some time. I meant heat as in summer--a hot shower dosen't have any effect on mine. I have to be very careful of the sun. I would suggest always using sunscreen on your face. California Baby has a nice, light one for sensitive skin--they sent me a sample in my last order! Don't worry--I'm sure you will be able to get it under control :)

jenvan Collaborator

well i already had cut out the sodium laurel sulfates and such, so that's good. thanks Patti!!

lonewolf Collaborator

I was diagnosed with Rosacea about 4 years ago (also have psoriasis), had it off and on for 2 years and now it has gone away. I got REALLY strict with my diet (eggs seem to be a trigger for me) and stopped using sunscreen with zinc oxide (also seems to have triggered it) and I haven't had it reappear. Heat - hot showers and too much sun triggered it too. Oh, and the only thing I use on my face is organic coconut oil - sounds greasy, but it's not if you don't use too much. Coppertone sunscreen didn't seem to bother my skin, but I do a layer of coconut oil first.

jenvan Collaborator

lonewolf--

thanks... i also have psoriasis...ever notice any overlap? eggs and hot showers... my dh says my showers are too hot...will have to explore and see :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator
lonewolf--

thanks... i also have psoriasis...ever notice any overlap? eggs and hot showers... my dh says my showers are too hot...will have to explore and see :)

I'll be curious to see if you discover a connection with eggs and rosacea. I've been cheating a little bit lately with them and my psoriasis has flared up big time. It was almost gone - with the help of Dovonex and now my arms are covered again and inside my ears. Until you reminded me of the rosacea I had forgotten about it - I hope it doesn't flare up too. It seems like when I had the rosacea my psoriasis was really bad. I have it everywhere you can imagine and a few places you probably can't :huh: . If I had the willpower, I'd go back to fish, rice, fruit and vegies - the only diet that cleared my skin up 100%.

mamaw Community Regular

I've had rosacea for about 42 years now!!!!!!I have it on my upper torso not just the face.I had acne as a teenager and also as an adult.I have the spider veins and alot of scarring of the cheeks, large pores on nose. I would get so red that people asked if they could call an ambulance for me as they thought I was having a heart attack--- then some thought I was an alcoholic because I stayed red all the time......I would actually get burned from the redness. There are some good things out there that helps but everyone responses differently to the products. I know one thing that alot of us wash our face with is or was since it is discontinued by mfg now . It is aveeno creamy baby cleanser. I have about twelve bottles of it if you want to buy some from me .....one thing is do not use soap and scrub your face... I have tried several prescribed meds but none worked for me....I started to use the reg. strength Cutanix with great results. Some wash the face with the dove wash cloths. There is a real good support group for rosacea. I haven't been on it for several years as I finally got mine under control most of the time. Once I started taking thyroid med, and went gluten-free I've been the best I've ever been.Once in awhile I get one pimple and a bit red but nothing like I used to..I can't remember the name of the stuff that also helped me alot (brain fog now) but it was expensive and it came in two round circles one beige and the other tan in color and it got me on a recovery mode. Man I wish I could think og the name of it. I still have them but the name isn't on them.

Other things are staying out of the sun and wear sunscreen all the time.Also wear sunglasses because rosacea also effected my eyes.

My dad had psorasis and rosacea(not formally dx'd) and I now believe he had celiac's when I think back on his medical history.Parkinson's too, bowel problems!!!!! It seems like we all are in a pattern of sorts...

I know you watch what you eat but stay away from fried foods.At first it seems everything you put in your mouth triggers rosacea. Probiotics are good .......

I also flared up when I get excited or when I'm talking face to face to a person I turn beet red after a short time so try to stay calm, alot of rest.

My daughter has a beautiful complexion but has just the rosy cheeks of rosacea for about 20 years now she is getting the spider veins on her cheeks. She used to be a model in N>Y> in her younger days before the real world of a husband and kids!!!!!

Rosacea gets alot of people depressed including me as I hated my face. I only have one picture where my face is not beet red.When I look back on the pics I can see that people ask if I was having a heart attack ....

I know when my Dad passed away I got so upset and my face was so hot and red for months after.

Sorry I was a bearer of bad news on this issue. celiac's can make me sick but rosacea took away my self-asteem.........I detest them both...

mamaw

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I have mild rosacea--had rosy cheeks all my life, and have just started to notice tiny veins in my cheeks. Hot showers also give me a temporary rash on my chest.

I've never tried anything for it, and never thought of the dietary connection. Probiotics sound like a good idea--I'll try that. I hate to hear that eggs might be a trigger-I eat one every day for breakfast. :huh:

Mamaw. does the Aveeno have oatmeal in the ingredients list? Would that trigger reaction in a celiac with DH history?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Jen, how did I miss this..so sorry..

how are your sinuses?? are you feeling any better with that?

Judy in Philly

jenvan Collaborator

Liz-

You know what made me curious?? My doc mentioned and I read also, that steriods (as in treatment for psoriasis) can cause rosacea. Interesting...I wonder if my meds may have helped trigger this rosacea...

Mamaw-

I understand.... I told my mom, well if I feel crappy on the outside at least I can not look crappy too! :) These 'mysterious' types of illnesses/syndromes drive me crazy--no one knows exactly what causes them, how to treat or get rid of them really...I get tired of "trial and error!" Maybe I will try one of the online rosacea groups. Spider veins--I have one on my face...no one really notices with makeup, but ah...get them bad on my legs. I'm like, uh, can I at least be out of my 20s before I start getting these?? I hope you can find some things to help relieve your rosacea signs, and help lift your esteem--I know that can be hard to do...

Judy--

Feeling better, but still stuffy etc. Not on antibiotics... Did I tell you I have an appt with a new allergist to get tested and start all over again on April 17th? I am really eager to see what we find.

jerseyangel Proficient

Jen--I had never heard that steroids had anything to do with rosacea. I took steriods many times--oral as well as injected. Interesting....

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I'm so glad your feeling better but still stuff??? :blink: shucks..well maybe your imume system is starting to kick in so you don't need the antibiotics..wouldn't that be nice...

glad your seeing a new allergist on the 17th..i'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for ya.

maybe you'll get a new one with answers who sees you as a 'whole person' like my last one did. :)

Judy--

Feeling better, but still stuffy etc. Not on antibiotics... Did I tell you I have an appt with a new allergist to get tested and start all over again on April 17th? I am really eager to see what we find.

lonewolf Collaborator
Liz-

You know what made me curious?? My doc mentioned and I read also, that steriods (as in treatment for psoriasis) can cause rosacea. Interesting...I wonder if my meds may have helped trigger this rosacea...

Interesting. I knew that there was a reason I avoid ALL medication now. I haven't used any steroids for quite a while for my psoriasis - maybe that's why the rosacea went away. And I've used a LOT of probiotics. My psoriasis is still worse though - I'm sticking to fruits, vegies and lean meat today until I clear my body of any trace of eggs or anything else. I wish I had the willpower to do a 3 day fast - that usually helps too. (Although it's hard to fast while you're on jury duty).

cgilsing Enthusiast

Hi Jen!

I've never been diagnosed with Rosacea, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is......my grandma had it too....For me it's wine that triggers it the most, but hot showers can do it too. And once I was eating a fruit salad when it flared up.... I only get about half way through a glass of wine when I start looking splotchy :rolleyes: For me avoiding the trigger takes care of it....too bad too because I like wine!! :P

jerseyangel Proficient

You know? I haven't had a drink in so long now, that I forgot. Wine also is a trigger for me. I get very red and hot from one cheek straight across to the other.

mamaw Community Regular

Steroids definately cause great problems when you have rosacea. Also make-up also clogs the pores and can cause flare-ups. I too when I was young used to hid or mask the problem with make-up but it only made it worse so now I use hardly nothing. I wanted to have the scarring reduced but I was told it wouldn't help that much ----- boy was I disappointed and depressed after that verdict.....

Fiddle- Faddle

I don't see oatmeal in the ingredients but it does have oat flour in it. When it was discontinued I bought all I could find but after going wf/gluten-free my rosacea cleared up 75%. I do get a bit red at times but nothing like i used to... I also got onto using the MiracleII and I love it, so I have a bunch of the baby cleasner.............

With rosacea one thing to always remember is LESS IS Better......

mamaw

jenvan Collaborator

Interesting on the makeup too. I am using Bare Escentuals now...can't track it for sure...but I don't think I had this problem pre-BE makeup. I don't think it is causing it per se, but feel like something must have changed in my lifestyle to prompt the rosacea coming out.

For you with wine--is it all alcohol? Anyone notice chocolate? B/c of all the hot shower talk...I'm trying to take "cooler" showers ;)

Mamaw-- Do you know of a good online Rosacea group?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI JEN

TALKED TO 'LYNNE' YESTERDAY AND SHE HAS IT TOO AND SAID SHE AGREED WAS TOLD HER STEROID USE.(PEDIZONE) COULD HAVE CAUSED IT..JUST SOME MORE INFO TO PUT INTO THE 'Q' FOR THE DR FOLDER.

HUGS

JUDY

cgilsing Enthusiast
For you with wine--is it all alcohol?

Strangely enough for me it's not all alcohol. It's not even all wines! Wine seems to be the most common alcohol that causes it, but I know I hav drank a mixed drink and had it happen too.....I can't remember now what it was though....it's been so long since I've had a drink!! I can't figure out what the link the between the things that bother me are either. There doesn't seem to be a common element. I do know I can drink a rum and coke and be sure I will not have a problem though ;)

jenvan Collaborator
There doesn't seem to be a common element.

Ah! That's the really annoying part of it all!

Judy--Lynne too huh? Hey, are you chatting with on the phone? If so--ask her what kind of music she likes (and hates!) and let me know :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Judy--Lynne too huh? Hey, are you chatting with on the phone? If so--ask her what kind of music she likes (and hates!) and let me know :)

jenvan Collaborator

Judy--Lynne pmed with music, so I'm good to go on that now. But, send me her #. I told her I'll have to visit her somtime--only 2 hrs away. Too bad we can't all lunch together! Lunching Ladies :D

? for ya'll---

When you eat something that is a trigger how long does it take to flare-up? And, is your rosacea more like flushing or pimply? Have you noticed an increase in both? Thnx--good weekend to all!

cgilsing Enthusiast
? for ya'll---

When you eat something that is a trigger how long does it take to flare-up? And, is your rosacea more like flushing or pimply? Have you noticed an increase in both? Thnx--good weekend to all!

It happens almost instantaniouly for me. I'll be 1/2 way through a glass of wine and someone will mention that I'm looking strange! I don't get pimply, but it is different from a normal flushed look too. My cheeks, nose, and somtimes spots around my eyebrows get bright red. The affected areas are really defined too. The areas not affected are my usual luminous white. So it sortof looks like someone came up and drew on my face with a hot pink marker or something.....very attractive! :rolleyes:

Archived