This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Living Or Living Without Magazine?

Moongirl

Moongirl Community Regular

i cantt decide which one to order.....which do you prefer?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

I will prefer which ever one will mail to Canada and Living Without won't. So, I will ask GFL if they will.

jerseyangel Proficient

I've never seen Gluten Free Living--where can I find it?

SueC Explorer

you can order a subscription at glutenfreeliving.com

flagbabyds Collaborator

i like living without, beause they also have a lot of gluten-free/cf recipies.

floridanative Community Regular

I'd like to share my experience with GFL magazine. I ordered it in Jan. and got the Fall issue within two weeks. As of today, I have yet to get the Winter issue and it was 80 degrees here yesterday. I have e-mailed the company twice and twice they apologized for being late with the Winter issue. I finally called Visa to contest 75% of my yearly subs. rate of $29.95 (for four magazines). I personally can not afford to pay $7.48 for a magazine that never comes. I'm only paying for the fall issue and now I'm going to get Living Without instead.

I think GFL is a very good magazine but I would just buy it in a store if possible or go without it. I feel bad as I think the magazine may be in dire financial straights, or they would have gotten their winter issue out in the winter, not the spring. Well I'm not sure it's even out now but I think it is, but mine never showed up and since I cancelled, I don't care why anymoe.

jerseyangel Proficient

Tiffany--Thanks for letting us know--I've never seen GFL, but was planning on looking at the WF up in Princeton. I go there sometimes--I usually go to the one in Marlton, which is smaller. I know what you mean--it does look like they may be in trouble. Hope not. At any rate, I hope you get a refund for the issues you never received!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
Peggy Wagener Newbie

Hi!

I'm the publisher of Living Without magazine and happened to read one of the recent posts concerning Canadian subscriptions. Just want to set the record straight, we DO accept Canadian subscriptions but only by mail. We can't accept foreign orders through the Web site yet. Hopefully that will change in the next few months. For now, Canadians can subscribe via mail by sending a check (US Funds) to: Living Without, PO Box 2126, Northbrook, IL 60065. Canadian subscriptions are $10 more per year than the US subscriptions(mailing costs to Canada are really high) or $33 for one year and $50 for two years.

Thanks to all who support the magazine. It truly is a labor of love for everyone involved.

With healthy regards,

Peggy (celiac for nine years)

penguin Community Regular
Hi!

I'm the publisher of Living Without magazine and happened to read one of the recent posts concerning Canadian subscriptions. Just want to set the record straight, we DO accept Canadian subscriptions but only by mail. We can't accept foreign orders through the Web site yet. Hopefully that will change in the next few months. For now, Canadians can subscribe via mail by sending a check (US Funds) to: Living Without, PO Box 2126, Northbrook, IL 60065. Canadian subscriptions are $10 more per year than the US subscriptions(mailing costs to Canada are really high) or $33 for one year and $50 for two years.

Thanks to all who support the magazine. It truly is a labor of love for everyone involved.

With healthy regards,

Peggy (celiac for nine years)

Not a canadian, but I bet they'll all appreciate the info!

Just wanted to say how I love Living Without, keep doing what you're doing! I love the recipes! In some ways, it's almost like a gluten-free, allergen-free Cooks Illustrated!

jerseyangel Proficient

I, too like Living Without--in fact I just bought the new issue at Whole Foods yesterday! :D

angel-jd1 Community Regular
I'd like to share my experience with GFL magazine. I ordered it in Jan. and got the Fall issue within two weeks. As of today, I have yet to get the Winter issue and it was 80 degrees here yesterday. I have e-mailed the company twice and twice they apologized for being late with the Winter issue. I finally called Visa to contest 75% of my yearly subs. rate of $29.95 (for four magazines). I personally can not afford to pay $7.48 for a magazine that never comes. I'm only paying for the fall issue and now I'm going to get Living Without instead.

I think GFL is a very good magazine but I would just buy it in a store if possible or go without it. I feel bad as I think the magazine may be in dire financial straights, or they would have gotten their winter issue out in the winter, not the spring. Well I'm not sure it's even out now but I think it is, but mine never showed up and since I cancelled, I don't care why anymoe.

The same thing happened to me about two years ago with them. They were SOOOOO Rude!! The lady who I called to ask for info as to why my magazine never came, HUNG UP ON ME!! She kept blaming the problem on the postal service....it was crazyness. I canceled my subscription with them also and reported them to the better busisness buerau. They were horrible! Gluten Free Living Magazine stinks! ha

On the other hand living without magazine ROCKS!! I Highly Recommend that!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Another vote for Living Without.

I called Gluten Free Living to find out about getting an issue to see if I like it enough to subscribe. The woman on the other end was very nice an pleasant and offered to mail me a free copy. I thought great! That was until it took about 2 months for me to get that free copy! Now under normal circumstances this would be ridiculous but you have to factor in, I live about 10 minutes away from where it's published! I could have walked a copy to my house faster.

jenvan Collaborator
There's some funky stuff in that seasoning packet. I never feel good when I eat those. I'm also soy intolerant/allergic, but I think it's more a matter of some sort of weird hydrolized something or other that just doesn't agree with many people.

I prefer Living Without also...just got my latest one in the mail--always has great recipes. This issue is graham crackers, crepes, tortillas...just to name a few...

skbird Contributor

I had the same experience that Tiffany had with GFL. They have grown too fast and can't keep up. Then the most recent issue I got had a big apology in it which was nice, but it seemed passive agressive to me. I wish I had it here, I'd explain why. Anyway, I don't really appreciate the info because while there is some good stuff in there, they also condone things I feel are misleading to people with Celiac/GI.

For example, this most recent issue had a letter to the editor about using skin care/hair care products with wheat, etc in them (they mentioned gluten-free Savonnerie) and why that was important if consumption was the only way to get contaminated by gluten. And GFL editor wrote that those sellers are taking advantage of Celiacs so they no longer will be allowed to advertise in the magazine and that you can't get glutened by using soap with wheat/oats, etc in it. But I know of many people on this list who have written in about their experiences of getting glutened in one form or the other from using health care products with wheat, etc, in them. So I think that is a disservice.

They also have an article about why oats are safe, so go ahead and eat them. But they don't make much of a case about how they have to be uncontaminated and how at least 30% of Celiacs will still have a problem with them anyway.

I think there is misinformation they are promoting in this magazine and I think the prices are way too high - by the way, they say in the opening statement that prices are going to have to go up, in fact, because they are getting so many subscriptions! What kind of argument is that??? When you get more business, your costs shouldn't be passed to the consumer, you should be able to lower subscription prices! I used to work at a magazine, so I know how that works.

Anyway, I don't have any experience with Living Without, other than a great pizza recipe I still use, but GFL does not get my vote.

Stephanie

jenvan Collaborator
I think there is misinformation they are promoting in this magazine and I think the prices are way too high - by the way, they say in the opening statement that prices are going to have to go up, in fact, because they are getting so many subscriptions! What kind of argument is that??? When you get more business, your costs shouldn't be passed to the consumer, you should be able to lower subscription prices! I used to work at a magazine, so I know how that works.

Anyway, I don't have any experience with Living Without, other than a great pizza recipe I still use, but GFL does not get my vote.

Stephanie

Stephanie-

Thanks for posting your input... I bought the magazine once...but couldn't bring myself to buy another--it was like $7! That was incredible to me...but at the time I thought it was b/c of such a small subscription base, and that the price might improve. Sounds like some poor management or something...

kabowman Explorer

I haven't see GFL locally so didn't know it existed BUT that said, Living Without has soooo many other food issues it covers, it works great for people like me with mulitple food intolerances. Now, if they would only come up with a decent brownie receipe gluten-free, DF, CF, SF, etc., etc, etc.

I just starte my script and now don't have to rush out to the store hoping they still had one in stock.

As to the two month wait, I had the same problem. I ordered my mag, about the time for the new issue to come out and waited and waited, after getting my little notice card that I was now a subscriber, and waited, and it finally came, with the next edition. Oh well, I missed one...not the end of the world but not what I expected.

sleepingbean Newbie

This is interesting to read! I had never heard of the GFL mag. I do subscribe to Living Without. I really enjoy it! I just wish it came to my door more often :)

I have a very little article and some of my recipes in this issue so I feel famous for a moment LOL

(okay, not exactly famous). I really think they are doing a great service to those on our diets. I remember when I read my first issue, how relieved I was to see so many great sources for so many things! I love the ads ! LOL And I made so much biscotti from their holiday issue, I have tried some breads, soups, and others.

The spring cleaning article from a year ago was really motivating.

All in all I love it :)

tiffjake Enthusiast
Not a canadian, but I bet they'll all appreciate the info!

Just wanted to say how I love Living Without, keep doing what you're doing! I love the recipes! In some ways, it's almost like a gluten-free, allergen-free Cooks Illustrated!

Ditto. I have a sub. I like the food ideas. And all of the adds for companies that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

hez Enthusiast

It looks like I am in the minority <_< I like Gluten Free Living. I enjoy the research and articles. However, I agree that the magazine has issues. It does not arrive in a timely fashion :angry:

Hez

Generic Apprentice

I liked gluten free living until, they sent me a renewal card and I only recieved 2 of the 4 issues I payed for. Not to mention they are very over priced. It does not cost that much to publish a magazine.

Archived