This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New And Soooo Overwhelmed

Guest havetobestrong

Guest havetobestrong

Hello,

This is my first post. I was told today that I have gluton intolerance/Celiac. Sorry if I don't know exactly how to say all of this. I'm just a bit overwhelmed. I have not had a biopsy, but my bloodwork came back positive. I have a very long family history of autoimmune disorders. I've also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, probable Lupus, Epilepsy, and dermatitis (along with about a zillion gastrointestinal issues). When my bloodwork came back positive, my doctor decided to go ahead and put me on the Celiac diet. I look at it all, and it just seems like so much. How do you all make sure you don't eat gluton? How do you know what medicines it is in? Does soap and toothpaste matter? I'm sorry if these questions sound silly...I just don't have a clue where to start. My doctor is getting me a packet of information together, but he also told me to look on-line at these type sites. thank you for reading and helping. -Jenny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi Jenny and Welcome!!! B)

The Gluten Free diet is something to get use to and it seems a bit overwhleming at first but it does get easier especially when you see / feel an improvement in your health! :D You hang in there and feel free to ask questions, this is a great place for support and encouragement!

I too may have Lupus (currently being tested and treated) and seem to have more GI probs than most people but I'm hanging in there and hoping I will feel 100% better soon. ;)

Here are some helpful links that will answer some of your questions below and help you gain more knowledge of this disease:

Open Original Shared Link

Safe & Forbidden Food & Ingredient Lists for Gluten-Free Diets

Mainstream Products that are Gluten-Free

Research on Diseases and Disorders Associated with Celiac Disease

Take care and God Bless :rolleyes:

lovegrov Collaborator

Last I looked the gluten-free drug list was outdated and included at least a couple that company says have gluten, like Tums.

richard

dana-g Newbie

I've had a lot of success putting the name of a drug together with the word gluten in quotes into google: "drug name gluten"

Guest havetobestrong

Thank you for your information! There is a lot to think about! -Jenny

• 3 weeks later...
hapi2bgf Contributor

I started out by eating only home made meals. Fresh meat, plain rice or baked potato, fresh fruit. McCormicks 100 % seasonings are safe. Meaning the Basil or the Oragano are safe but check the mixed seasoning like SantaFe etc.

Make a list of all of the products in your house that do not clearly contain wheat and call the manufacturer to find out if it is safe. Go through and mark every bottle or box "gluten-free" or "Not gluten-free" based on the label or phone call. Personally, I think calling and asking is the easiest way to go. Get a list of the unexpected items to look out for and learn the trigger words like natural flavorings etc.

The diet is labor intensive at first, but soon you will have clearly marked gluten-free items throughout your house and then you will not feel so overwhelmed.

CSA/USA and Clan Thompson also sell product lists that you may find helpful.

Good luck.

Archived