This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hashimoto's

taneil

taneil Apprentice

I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, it is an autoimmune thyroid problem, I believe that Gluten Intolerance trigger the Hashimoto's. I have actually read some information about how going gluten-free may allow the thyroid to re-regulate itself. This is what I am praying. I have been gluten-free for 1 month and am going to get some more blood work done to check my thyroid again. I don't know if gluten-free alone will be enough for things to get corrected but so far I am getting less of the Hypothyroid symptoms. My doctor is a little worried about my decision to try gluten-free diet before hormone replacement stuff, but she said I could try.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tammy Community Regular

:D Hi,

I too am Hypothroid with Hashimoto's. My thyroid is regulated with two thyroid medications, at this time. I also have adrenal insufficiency. I am gluten-free since December of 2002. The endocrinologist did reduce one of my thyroid medications from 15 mcg to 7.5 mcg. within the last year. I was happy.

What has your experience been with the effects of an autoimmune disease?

Take Care of yourself.

• 4 months later...
taneil Apprentice

Update on my Hypothyroid. I have been gluten-free for six months now and am feeling pretty good. I recently had blood work done again for celiac disease and my thyroid. My TSH level dropped from 98 to 6 and my IgG level dropped from 40 to 9. My doctor was very impressed that my TSH had dropped so much just by going gluten-free. I am also taking a supplament to support my Thyroid, but no hormones.

Anyway, I am excited that the gluten-free diet has helped so much with my Thyroid. Technically my Thyroid is still high but I also haven't stayed away from Caesin. So know I am going to avoid Caesin and see if that will help my TSH to drop to a normal level.

I just wanted to let everyone know that diet does have a lot to do with our health. And if something is wrong it doesn't mean we need a drug to fix the problem. We need to be proactive to find the root cause and fix the problem not just put a band-aid on it.

tarnalberry Community Regular

congrats on the great results! :-)

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

My son and husband are celiac disease; my other son and I tested completely negative and are asymptomatic -- but I was dx w/ Hashimoto's about 3 months ago. (they discovered that while working on gyn problems....) Does anybody know if I should think about having my celiac disease screens run again?

joanna

Archived