This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Beer Substitute

awesomeame

awesomeame Explorer

I have a receipe here that calls for a roast to roast in beer, and of course there is no gluten-free beer available in my area. does anyone know what i could use as a substitute?

--matt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Wine may taste good. Wines should be gluten-free, but some may contain casein, the milk protein.

jerseyangel Proficient

This wouldn't have the same "kick", but you could use gluten-free broth and step up the spices a little bit. Wine is a good idea, too--or a mixture of both.

Cheri A Contributor

Oh crap! I am trying a new recipe right now in the crockpot... I totally forgot that beer would be out!! Not something I think about cuz she's 7 years old, lol Guess the kids will be having something different from me tonight for dinner :unsure:

IronedOut Apprentice

I have used cider with good result for both beef and pork. It can be sweet and needs to be used with the appropriate seasonings though. My DH, who thinks everything benefits from having beer as an ingredient, even liked it.

penguin Community Regular

I always use Lipton Onion Soup mix, it's the only gluten-free soup Lipton has, I believe. It makes a great roast, and I've never had any problems. I bet putting some red wine in with it would give it an extra kick, I'll have to try it. :)

ehrin Explorer
I always use Lipton Onion Soup mix, it's the only gluten-free soup Lipton has, I believe. It makes a great roast, and I've never had any problems. I bet putting some red wine in with it would give it an extra kick, I'll have to try it. :)

Both Broccoli Cheddar and Creamy Chicken cup a soups are gluten-free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mauder Newbie

I've used a can of cola (not diet) before and have received compliments for the roast beef sandwiches.

jenvan Collaborator

I would also recommend a cider...bit sweeter but would still be good... My favorite gluten-free cider is definitely Strongbow: Open Original Shared Link A liquor store should have them, never seen them in a grocery store.

cgilsing Enthusiast
I would also recommend a cider...bit sweeter but would still be good... My favorite gluten-free cider is definitely Strongbow: Open Original Shared Link A liquor store should have them, never seen them in a grocery store.

Good idea Jen! That would be pretty close to beer! Woodchuck is also gluten-free!

jenvan Collaborator

I like Wood chuck too Christine--they're good. Ever had a Strongbow? Something about them is so good--I could drink like water :P

awesomeame Explorer

so strongbow IS gluten-free?? i just picked up a can of it, but want to be sure it's gluten free before i drink!

--matt

Felidae Enthusiast
so strongbow IS gluten-free?? i just picked up a can of it, but want to be sure it's gluten free before i drink!

I drink Strongbow with no problems. Yum

cgilsing Enthusiast
I like Wood chuck too Christine--they're good. Ever had a Strongbow? Something about them is so good--I could drink like water :P

No I haven't tried Strongbow! I'll have to check it out! Here in about two months I'm probably going to be really ready to try a little of that! :lol:

jenvan Collaborator
No I haven't tried Strongbow! I'll have to check it out! Here in about two months I'm probably going to be really ready to try a little of that! :lol:

Yeah, a little "Welcome-Into-The-World-Baby-Celebratory" Drink!! :D

awesomeame Explorer

wow i just drank a can off strongbow, and really liked it!! anyone know how many calories are in one of these? sure hope it's gluten-free, no list of ingrediants on the side of the can :blink:

--matt

• 2 years later...
withnail69 Rookie

is bulmers gluten free?

• 4 weeks later...
rick-spiff Rookie

There is a new beer called redbridge and they sell it at fred meyers and walmarts my hubby says it tastes ok. it's made from sorghum.

• 7 years later...
Alex67 Newbie

I have a receipe here that calls for a roast to roast in beer, and of course there is no gluten-free beer available in my area. does anyone know what i could use as a substitute?

--matt

Matt,

maybe this will be useful.., I found a recipe of Kombucha that tastes like beer according to its creator, low in alcohol but full in flavor to drink and to use in cooking recipes.  I hope helps you.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived