• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gluten Free Restaurants Pa

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any gluten free restaurants and/or places that have gluten free items in Pennsylvania - especially the Philadelphia area and Poconos area. Thanks as always for the info.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I understand there is a store in Philadelphia -- dietary shoppe -- that has lots of gluten-free foods.

Hi,

http://www.mrritts.com is the bakery in Philadelphia. I have never been there.

I would like to hear of more gluten free restaurants or places with gluten free stuff. I live near Scranton.

Mel

I live in the Philadelphia area and have been to Mr. Ritts. It is a bakery near 5th and South Street. I have tried the bread but don't like it. I buy my pizza crusts there. They are delicious!!! Other than that, I go to Outback, PF Changs, and sushi restaurants for the most part. I know that the Peking Duck at Margarate Kuo's in Wayne is gluten-free. The chef walked me through all the steps of making it. You just have to ask for rice instead of the pancakes that it comes with and bring your own sauce. Supposedly Django in center city is gluten friendly but I have not tried that yet. Hope this helps!

The Chart House at Penn's Landing, Sullivan's Steakhouse in KOP, Carrabas in Springfield Mall and Vinny Testa's of Boston in Wynnewood have all served great gluten-free meals to my celiac daughter in the past few months. Most better steakhouses will accomodate you with a filet, potato, salad and Chart House and Sullivan's are top notch. Carrabas posts a gluten-free menu on the net -bring it with you since when we went they did not have it yet but did prepare the meal properly. Vinny T's was a lucky shot - I called ahead and the chef knew all about the gluten-free diet and made my daughter the best Italian meal since gluten-free. I was at the Dietary Shoppe today - it is on Ridge Ave. Follow Ridge Ave East and it come up very quickly after the off ramp on the right. They have tons of gluten-free goodies.

Kathy

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    lolitalonny

• Topics

• You can always check to see how long the lab order lasts, if you'd like to continue eating gluten longer.
    • Might be something else in there, perhaps he ate something else with gluten, something was mixed in the chips, the chips were flavored or in a snack mix with pretzels. I get that way with gluten, but the last 2 times the gut issues render me unable to argue like that but I do go Mr. Hyde like =. Seems to be linked to my mental confusion that arises when I eat gluten the fog and looping of thoughts causes extreme anger and makes it where I can not connect things and think rationally leading to anger, outburst, random acts, and punching and breaking things out of frustration.
    • I hate to say it and be Mr. Negative ass here. But I had this exact same thought about having kids, I do not wish any kids I have to have my AI issues, and decided I would wait a few decades if need be for the new gene editing things they are working on so we can have them changed. Call me crazy.
    • Unsure but I would say wheat, when making that kind of soup you normally use wheat base flour as a thickening agent when preparing the soup. Often formed into a roux with the meat juices after cooking the meat and before adding the rest. Yeah I have issues with the pick up thing too, never accidentally ordered but I have to call them after every order to make sure they know it is me (manager knows me) and they do not put seasonings or sauces on stuff.   It is one of two restaurants in town I trust, but there are only two sides they do that are safe. I bring my own sauce, and main meal order the sides and a drink and go there to fee like a normal human sometimes. lol On a cooking note you can make your own using another flour, a deep nutty flavor like sorghum works great with this or garbanzo for the roux. You can also go and apply another technique where you take some roma tomato chop them up and stir them simmering with a bit crushing them with the ladle in the ban and it will thicken in to a roux like consistency. I find this last method pairs well with a cooking wine to deglaze and add brightness when finishing and can be used for flavorful soup bases or gravies.
    • Hello.  I was wondering what flavor the potato chips were.  Some flavors have dairy in them, like sour cream and onion, or ranch, or cheese.   Sometimes people with Celiac Disease develop an intolerance, or even an allergy, to dairy which can affect behavior, too. Some chips have flavor enhancers akin to MSG that might trigger a reaction.   Potato chips are processed with sulfites to prevent them from discoloration.  Some Celiacs develop a sensitivity to Sulfites in the diet.   And some Celiacs find it helpful to remove nightshade vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers) from their diets. Every one is different and reacts differently their own triggers.   I agree with Kareng.  You need to talk to your son.  I bet he feels embarrassed by his behavior, and is perhaps scared of not being able to control himself.  Your reassurance that he has your support can be invaluable.   You and your son might want to figure out together a plan of action if the situation arises again.  Help him learn to recognize when he's reacting and help him get through it.  Skipping rope to burn off the extra energy, puzzle books to focus the mind, soft lights and music, writing in a journal or coloring, or a clock ticking are things that may help.  But your love and support will be most important. Hope this helps.  Be encouraged.            
  • Upcoming Events