This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Can A Reaction Last?

eleep

eleep Enthusiast

Okay, I've been extremely careful, but I did ingest something Saturday night that I knew within an hour caused a reaction. The next few days were full of hellish anxiety and muscle tension and emotional ughs. That subsided sometime early Wednesday, but I'm still having lingering GI issues -- D., mostly, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's something further I've been ingesting, or whether this is just lingering reaction stuff.

I've been eating mostly fish, beans, vegetables and fruits since the reaction -- I've also only been using the personal care products that I've already screened for gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Erica-I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. This can be so frustrating!

People's reactions vary in length and severity, and can even vary in the same person (depending on the amount of gluten, the time gluten free, and other unknown variables that Mother Nature likes to throw at us!). I know that my reactions now are very severe for a solid 24 hours no matter what, and can last for a few days to a week or so. My body hates me when I give it gluten! It also can depend on how long you have been gluten free. For the first few months gluten free, I still felt pretty crappy overall---I think, because my body was still healing. And then I'd be accidentally glutened and life would be bad!

If you have been eating only at home with 100% safe ingredients and no cross-contamination, I would guess that you are just having a particularly fun reaction. I use the Immodium A-D pills and they have saved my life.

Hope this helps and that your reaction subsides!!!

cornbread Explorer

My gluten/casein reactions last anywhere up to 14 days. It doesn't relate to the amount I consumed either,they just seem to get steadily worse each time. They used to last a day, then 2, then 3, then 5, then a week, then 10 days, then the last time it was a solid 2 weeks. :blink: This was from one small taste of egg that had been mistakenly fried in butter (after I strictly requested olive oil). Prior to that I was out for 10 days after licking an envelope. People can never comprehend exactly how careful we all have to be or exactly how sick we can get from a tiny tiny amount.

jerseyangel Proficient

I get symptoms for 2 weeks. The first week is worse--for instance, I was glutened by CC 2 days ago. From 2 hours after ingesting the food, I have had nausea, gas, low ab. cramping and I'm very depressed and apprehensive feeling. I had to go out earlier, and was afraid I was going to throw up--I really never do, but the nausea is that bad. This will probably linger on for a few more days, and the second week, it will gradually get better. I really hate this :angry:

ebrbetty Rising Star

I just got over getting glutened, it was 2 weeks of living hell, stomach pain everyday 24/7 :(

jerseyangel Proficient
I just got over getting glutened, it was 2 weeks of living hell, stomach pain everyday 24/7 :(

Betty--does this mean you're feeling better? Hope so! :D

ebrbetty Rising Star

Hi Patti, yes this last week has been much better, I must have been had gluten from somewhere...I just can't believe it lasted sooo long!

I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!! (((HUGS)))

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Betty--Thanks lady, you, too :D

elonwy Enthusiast

My GI reactions are immediate, then I get fog and joint pain for 3-5 days. It's funny, and kind of gross, but I can tell by my BM's now when the gluten is finally "gone". I will go to the bathroom and I know that my system is done dealing with it and I'll start feeling better the next day. I definitly have a varied reaction time based on how much I ingest too. If its just a little I'm only feel bad for 3 days, if its more then I feel bad longer. The good news is, I react instantly, so the last time I stopped eating after two bites because I knew it was going to make me sick.

Elonwy

cornbread Explorer

I react instantly too Elonwy - it's really quite handy in terms of damage limitation!

ebrbetty Rising Star

when you say you know instantly, in what way? what are your symptoms? I'm assuming you don't mean digestive problems, because it takes time for the food to digest and cause symptoms. just curious, cause I get severe stomach pain but it takes time to hit

elonwy Enthusiast

It just feels wrong. I swear I start to feel bloated as the first bite slides down my throat, but its like taking a bite of something thats spoiled, I have an instantaneous, "that's not right" reaction, its not really a symptom so much as a general feeling of ick.

Does that help? Its kind of hard to explain.

Elonwy

Felidae Enthusiast

Man, I just got glutened Thursday night for the first time since being gluten-free and I was so sick yesterday. Now th brain fog and stomach pains are bad. The worst part is I have to study for my final exams.

chick2ba Apprentice

Does anyone else experience a 24 hour delay before the worst symptoms appear? My reactions normally last a week, minimum, but I've noticed that the severe bloating and nausea occur about a full day later (then living hell for the next three days). The somach cramps tend to start in about 30 minutes, but those happen randomly, too. The delay makes it very very hard to figure out exactly what poisoned me.

Good luck with your finals.. I know how much that sucks.. taking a major exam with your stomach writhing.

• 2 years later...
Caitlin9267 Newbie

Hi- I was recently diagnosed with Celiac by both TTG IGA levels and a positive biopsy. I have been gluten-free for 2 months and have gained a much needed 15 lbs since eliminating gluten. I think that I have accidently ingested gluten a couple of times. The first incident resulted in a feeling like someone stabbed my in the upper abdomen, a sharp piercing pain. I contacted my disinterested GI and asked him if this could be a reaction to gluten. He replied "No" and ordered a HILA Scan of my Gall bladder and an ultrasound of my abdomen; both were negative. He wanted to do a CT scan but working in the field of oncology I understand the importance of minimizing these scan and since I had one recently that diagnosed an intutusception in my small bowel, I declined. I suspect that I have been exposed again and have the same sharp pains in my upper abdomen? Has anyone experienced similar pain? Thanks!

• 9 months later...
975873 Newbie
Does anyone else experience a 24 hour delay before the worst symptoms appear? My reactions normally last a week, minimum, but I've noticed that the severe bloating and nausea occur about a full day later (then living hell for the next three days). The somach cramps tend to start in about 30 minutes, but those happen randomly, too. The delay makes it very very hard to figure out exactly what poisoned me.

Good luck with your finals.. I know how much that sucks.. taking a major exam with your stomach writhing.

I tried to get a diagnosis for my problems for years, l just got a Celiac ruling based on a biopsy. I loaded wheat big time before the test and afterwards got glutened by carelessness. The symptoms came on 24 hours later like you described, and I have been filthy sick for 5 days now. Cramping, nausea, brain fog, depression, sleeplessness.... etc. etc. It got so bad I searched to see if I need to goto a hospital, I even convinced myself that it had to be something worse. After reading this board it appears that alot of my problems are normal. This is a terrible problem, mine has got 10X worse over the last month. It is reassuring seeing that I am not alone.

oceangirl Collaborator

ForbloodyEVER! Okay- about 2 weeks... I also can experience the delay which does make pinpointing the culprit worthy of Sherlock Holmes...

lisa

• 7 months later...
whyme Newbie

Okay, I've been extremely careful, but I did ingest something Saturday night that I knew within an hour caused a reaction. The next few days were full of hellish anxiety and muscle tension and emotional ughs. That subsided sometime early Wednesday, but I'm still having lingering GI issues -- D., mostly, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's something further I've been ingesting, or whether this is just lingering reaction stuff.

I've been eating mostly fish, beans, vegetables and fruits since the reaction -- I've also only been using the personal care products that I've already screened for gluten.

I get that anxiety too, depression, and I don;t understand why that happens. The more I read the more I guess it is normal. I hate this! I just ate gluten (cheat) and I am paying for it. I have no desire to eat at all!!! I am scared b/c everytime I do, I ended up in the bathroom.

• 6 years later...
GlutenTerminator Newbie

Estimating...after digestion begins, I have joint pain and weird manic confusion almost immediately. The worst of the brain fog and digestive discomfort come later. Seriously debilitating brain fog happens 16-24 hours later. Then symptoms continue in waves for at least 5-7 days, joint pain disappears first, turning into constipation and irritability. Emotional lows throughout. It's really a joy ;)

• 1 year later...
charlieleeto Newbie
On 19/09/2008 at 10:12 AM, Caitlin9267 said:

Hi- I was recently diagnosed with Celiac by both TTG IGA levels and a positive biopsy. I have been gluten-free for 2 months and have gained a much needed 15 lbs since eliminating gluten. I think that I have accidently ingested gluten a couple of times. The first incident resulted in a feeling like someone stabbed my in the upper abdomen, a sharp piercing pain. I contacted my disinterested GI and asked him if this could be a reaction to gluten. He replied "No" and ordered a HILA Scan of my Gall bladder and an ultrasound of my abdomen; both were negative. He wanted to do a CT scan but working in the field of oncology I understand the importance of minimizing these scan and since I had one recently that diagnosed an intutusception in my small bowel, I declined. I suspect that I have been exposed again and have the same sharp pains in my upper abdomen? Has anyone experienced similar pain? Thanks!

I have been having the same symptoms actually! I have been gluten free for only a month now but now if I consume even a little bit I notice my symptoms are so much worse, including sharp pains in my upper abdomen, usually on my left side. I have read  few other forums where people had put this as a symptom but it doesn't seem to be as common? I generally feel symptoms within about 30 mins of being glutened though. 

kareng Grand Master
42 minutes ago, charlieleeto said:

I have been having the same symptoms actually! I have been gluten free for only a month now but now if I consume even a little bit I notice my symptoms are so much worse, including sharp pains in my upper abdomen, usually on my left side. I have read  few other forums where people had put this as a symptom but it doesn't seem to be as common? I generally feel symptoms within about 30 mins of being glutened though. 

This is a very old thread but - In a month - how many times are you getting glutened?  You might want to be much more careful.  You won't heal this way.  

Archived