• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

If You Are A Vegetarian.... Why?

32 posts in this topic

I am not a vegetarian, but I'll give you reasons for why I think being a vegetarian is a good or bad idea.

Good Idea

Growing vegetables usually takes up less space and produces less harmful greenhouses gases than pastures for cattle.

Non organic meat can contain hormones, how do those hormones affect us?

Mainstream non organic meat is usually not very lean, since the animals usually aren't free range.

Dairy cattle and hens raised for eggs do not have the best lives.

Bad Idea

Humans need protein and meat is the best source of protein.

Without a good source of protein, you may develop anemia. You may also get tired and notice a lack of energy.

You already have to eliminate a lot of foods if you are on the gluten-free diet or if you have any other intolerances.

Personally, I chose not to be a vegetarian. I do not eat pork though, which is a personal decision and I don't eat dairy products because I am allergic. The meat that I do choose to eat is very high in protein and low in fat such as, extra lean hamburger, turkey, salmon, shrimp, tuna, chicken, and lean steak. Most of the meat that I eat is locally grown.

You may be surprised, as I was, that protein is not that difficult to come by in a veggie diet. Too much protein causes your body to NOT absorb calcium!!! That's why getting your calcium from dairy means you need to INCREASE your daily quota of Calcium!! If you get your calcium from a nondairy source such as green leafy veggies, you need a lower daily dose of calcium. I think most diets have too much protein, these days.

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/faq.htm#protein

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

When I was younger (from 2-12) I was a vegetarian. This was extremely hard when I was growing and not really gaining weight or other stuff. It was hard to find good foods to eat for good calories and vitamins. I became so anemic that needed iron so badly that my parents made me eat meat. Both my sisters were still begetarian, and so is my mom. I really do hate the taste of meat, but I need the calories and other stuff that the meat has. I also needed more protien in my diet, and was already eating a lot of beans (they were my favorite food) and I was still not getting enough.

I still wish I was a veggie, but just can't deal with all the complications that being vegetarian caused me.

Molly,

I see you can't have soy either. It would be a bit tough to get everything you need without it. Soy is a great protein source. I know there are people that disagree with this. Were you able to eat dairy and eggs though? If you were eating cheese, eggs and milk, it doesn't seem like you would have a problem being vegetarian? Did it help you gain weight to eat meat?

Monica

You may be surprised, as I was, that protein is not that difficult to come by in a veggie diet. Too much protein causes your body to NOT absorb calcium!!! That's why getting your calcium from dairy means you need to INCREASE your daily quota of Calcium!! If you get your calcium from a nondairy source such as green leafy veggies, you need a lower daily dose of calcium. I think most diets have too much protein, these days.

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/faq.htm#protein

I know! I have an issue with dairy. I don't understand why dairy is encouraged! The media and the food guide says to eat dairy to get calcium, but actually calcium absorption is much harder by eating dairy. Even if I didn't have an allergy to dairy I still wouldn't eat it.

I know! I have an issue with dairy. I don't understand why dairy is encouraged! The media and the food guide says to eat dairy to get calcium, but actually calcium absorption is much harder by eating dairy. Even if I didn't have an allergy to dairy I still wouldn't eat it.

A friend of mine encouraged me to get Kale today... :huh: I had to ask for help identifying it at the store :lol: ! So, I got it to shake up my dark, green calcium sources and .. it's pretty good!

It's better than cooked spinach becasue it's not slimey.

Here's how I prepared it...

Kale

olive oil

garlic

salt

Pacific brand mushroom broth

Cook it for awhile.

It was very tasty.

Ads by Google:

A friend of mine encouraged me to get Kale today... :huh: I had to ask for help identifying it at the store :lol: ! So, I got it to shake up my dark, green calcium sources and .. it's pretty good!

It's better than cooked spinach becasue it's not slimey.

Here's how I prepared it...

Kale

olive oil

garlic

salt

Pacific brand mushroom broth

Cook it for awhile.

It was very tasty.

add some cubed, olive oil drizzled, roasted beets to sauteed kale for a sweet, but still healthy, twist. :-)

I don't do dairy because dairy and I are not friends. But I do goat cheese, feta, mozzerella and cheddar. I love goat cheese it is the best.