This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Orange County Ca Celiacs?

winki4

colparker Newbie

Hey Folks, the manager of Iva Lee's in San Clemente sent me a nice email listing all their gluten free menu items (both naturally and optionally). Given that they're one of the few legitimately good restaurants in South Orange County, I thought I would share it. It was opened by the same folks who opened Ramos House in San Juan Capistrano.

It's essentially a color-coded text version of the menu so I made a PDF of it and posted it to my server. Black is a no-no, red is naturally gluten free, and green is something that can be made gluten free upon request.

Open Original Shared Link

Bon Appetit,

Tom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kitty949 Newbie
Hey Folks, the manager of Iva Lee's in San Clemente sent me a nice email listing all their gluten free menu items (both naturally and optionally). Given that they're one of the few legitimately good restaurants in South Orange County, I thought I would share it. It was opened by the same folks who opened Ramos House in San Juan Capistrano.

It's essentially a color-coded text version of the menu so I made a PDF of it and posted it to my server. Black is a no-no, red is naturally gluten free, and green is something that can be made gluten free upon request.

Bon Appetit,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you for including the pdf link! My husband and I will check this out soon! By the way, Purple Feet in Dana Point (corner of Del Prado & Violet Lantern) has light meals (Tappas) with a great wine bar...They are sensitive to Celiacs! Thank you again for sharing!

Kitty949

• 7 months later...
Naezer Rookie

Hi I too am in South Orange County and have been craving a great cake. I have not really ventured out to actually get one yet but heard of a bakery in Culver City. The Sensitive Baker( or bakery) It is supposed to be the only gluten-free bakery in OC as well as casin free and kosher also. I have not been there yet but you may want to check it out. There are two others in the San Diego area also but I cannot think of the name. You may want to search for them.

All I have to say is being gluten-free sucks but at least the internet saves us some time and energy when looking for safe places to eat. Good Luck

Wolicki Enthusiast

Hi I too am in South Orange County and have been craving a great cake. I have not really ventured out to actually get one yet but heard of a bakery in Culver City. The Sensitive Baker( or bakery) It is supposed to be the only gluten-free bakery in OC as well as casin free and kosher also. I have not been there yet but you may want to check it out. There are two others in the San Diego area also but I cannot think of the name. You may want to search for them.

All I have to say is being gluten-free sucks but at least the internet saves us some time and energy when looking for safe places to eat. Good Luck

Whole Foods Jamboree has a nice bakery case with several gluten-free and vegan options. I will be getting their carrot cake next week for a party. If it's any good, I will let you know!

Mskedi Newbie

Wow -- how did I miss this thread? I haven't got anything to add today as I'm mourning the closing of my favorite gluten-free pizza place. I'm not sure how anything will take its place. :(

Naezer Rookie

Wow -- how did I miss this thread? I haven't got anything to add today as I'm mourning the closing of my favorite gluten-free pizza place. I'm not sure how anything will take its place. :(

There is a place in Mission Viejo off Marguarite Parkway that has gluten-free pizza. The best around!! Southern California Pizza Kitchen. Really tasty and the crust tastes like traditional crust. I cannot live with out pizza!!

• 1 month later...
jaimee654321 Newbie

Looking for Orange County California Celiacs to exchange with. I live in Anaheim (North County) but would love to hear from South County folks too.

Wendy

Hi, my name is Jaimee, and I live in Laguna Beach, South County. I haven't yet been diagnosed with Celiac, but since I've changed my diet to Gluten and Wheat free i've been like a new person! my birth mother also has celiac, so it is most likely that I do too. I am new to this disease and know little about it, but it would be great to get some information and tips on foods to eat!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Welcome! There's lots of us here in OC. Some great places to eat, too. If you haven't already checked out the front page of this site, check the safe foods list. It's very helpful.

Janie

jaimee654321 Newbie

Welcome! There's lots of us here in OC. Some great places to eat, too. If you haven't already checked out the front page of this site, check the safe foods list. It's very helpful.

Janie

Thanks so much! xx

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Hi another OC girl here! I need to try these restaurants.

jaimee654321 Newbie

Hi another OC girl here! I need to try these restaurants.

Zpizza and PF Changs are by far my favourite restuarants that have gluten free options. Also nut thins cheddar crackers are wonderful :)

• 8 months later...
3Celiacs Newbie

I live in So. O.C., it seems as though all the gluten friendly places are in Costa Mesa. My family likes Newport Rib Co., in C.M. My son was so happy to have a hambuger again! There food is pretty good, definately more gluten free options than the average resteraunt. We tried Z Pizza locally, but it sets me back about $50 to feed the 3 of us,and that's with me just sampling! The pizza is usually burned on the crust, we only eat there when everyone else is having pizza and I can't get my hands on any gluten-free crusts to make our own.

since our last visit there, I learned to stock up! We came across Sunnny's Pizza, I'm pretty sure that was the name, in Carlsbad and there's one in Torrance if I remember right. Best Gluten free pizza I've had, so tempted to make the drive just for the pizza. Pei Wei is another favorite of ours. My kids are happy to get Chinese again, they have a gluten free menu, as does P.F. Chang's but we actually prefer Pei Wei, and it's easier on the wallet.

Does everyone know about Wendy's new fries? They're gluten free and we like them a lot more than In N Out, they have a good web site to help out too. Tried to eat at Ruby's recently, totally useless website!

Next time we want to dine out I'll try one of the spots mentioned earlier, Thanks for the info everyone! Good luck to all of us!

• 4 weeks later...
daisydharma Newbie

Hi I am in Long Beach, I'll have to go try some of those places you are talking about.

Hi there! I am in Long Beach as well, and I found this link recently and thought I'd share!

The Greek place on 2nd st has lots of yummy sounding food and i was ranked #1 on the list of top 10 gluten friendly places in the area. I know a lot of Greek food is safe, like the meats with rice and hummus. I have been noticing going international with my food choices is bringing new fun things to eat to replace the old gluten-y things. :) The 'Number Nine" Pho place looks good too! I have yet to try them though, I will report back when I have!

daisydharma Newbie

Hi, my name is Jaimee, and I live in Laguna Beach, South County. I haven't yet been diagnosed with Celiac, but since I've changed my diet to Gluten and Wheat free i've been like a new person! my birth mother also has celiac, so it is most likely that I do too. I am new to this disease and know little about it, but it would be great to get some information and tips on foods to eat!

I am RIGHT THERE with you! I've been doing this diet for almost a month now, and all of the health problems I have had the last I don't know how many years are gone and I also feel like a new person! I am in Long Beach, and also wasn't diagnosed. I did have a Dr smart enough to say that we don't need to risk complications from a biopsy to just tell me to 'keep doing what I'm doing'. It's quite impossible to eat anything out or that anyone offers to share with me at work though. :/ I am leaning as I go though, and I am going to start a food journal to try and pinpoint the things that bother me. You are very much not alone! It feels so good to know that I'm not either, I feel like I just annoy people when I talk about it or have to be that difficult girl when it comes to any food or drink when I'm out.

• 2 weeks later...
Wasabi Newbie

Hello everyone.. I live in Anaheim Hills. Wolicki was kind enough to let me know there are a lot of members in Orange County and I see she was right! ;)

I did see a Meet Up group in OC I did contact the person who runs the group via email but she never responded?

Wolicki Enthusiast

The meetups always get cancelled. I get the notices and then I get the cancellations. That's why we formed our own!

• 8 months later...
gfpatty Newbie

Hi All, My name is Pat and I live in Orange. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January of this year. What a pleasant surprise to get on this site and see OC represented. I've read about some groups locally. Does anyone know if they are open to others? I'm sure we've all had lots of experiences we'd love to share. It's always helpful to hear what others with celiac have gone through and how we can help each other. I went to Ruby's in Orange by the train station this week and hope to be posting about that soon.

cindyR9HB Newbie

Whole Foods Jamboree has a nice bakery case with several gluten-free and vegan options. I will be getting their carrot cake next week for a party. If it's any good, I will let you know!

Whole Foods is great. I wish I did not have to drive 20 minutes to Tustin to get there.

There is also a newer (a few months old maybe) bakery in Fountain Valley called Sensitive Sweets.

They started out specializing in cakes and they are very good. They now make cupcakes, cookies, brownies, etc.

I met the owner Melanie and she was very nice and helpful. All items are gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, egg free, etc.

her website:

17431 Brookhurst St,

Fountain Valley, CA 92708

:)

GlutenDude Newbie

Looking for Orange County California Celiacs to exchange with. I live in Anaheim (North County) but would love to hear from South County folks too.

Wendy

I'm on the east coast, but I do know of one Celiac resource for Orange County. Here is their facebook page: Open Original Shared Link

I promise you it's not my business so I cannot vouch for it...only know that it exists.

• 4 years later...
Manicgirl Newbie

Stater Brothers is by far better than any other grocery store. It's way better than Trader Joe's. I keep telling them to get with the program. They have everything color coded and gluten-free is like a dark purple, but it also reads Gluten Free. Also, Target, surprisingly has a Gluten Free frozen section. It blew my mind to find out that my cheesy penne pasta had 26g of fat. I opted to for the butternut squash ravioli with no cheese involved. I also buy frozen Udis pizza @ Staters and dress it up w/ olives, mushrooms, spinach, whatever you want. I bake first, then let my son & boyfriend have their pizza. We do pizza dinner every Sunday for way less than going out. There's also a new pizza place in Costa Mesa on Harbor & Victoria (I can't remember the name, sorry) but they make your pizza to order, send you home with it fresh & you bake yourself and they offer Udi's for gluten-free peeps. (I'm realizing all my posts are really long, I just joined and don't know anyone else with Celiac, so I guess I'm excited to share the tidbits I've discovered.)

• 1 year later...
Chrismark Apprentice

My name is Chris, and I live in Fullerton, and I am always looking to exchange with other Celiacs.

Archived