• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

No Energy/tired Please Help

9 posts in this topic

Hello I am new to these forums.

I have been diagnosed with celiac since I was a child. But only recently in the last year or so I have had times where I felt really tired. I could barely keep my eyes open.

I find myself trying to study for school and I have no energy and I can not concentrate. I have no idea what the cause of this is. I tried drinking coffee and still no luck. I take a multi vitamin everyday and drink lots of tea and eat healthy and I do not eat any food containing the substances which we are not allowed to eat.

Does anyone know how I can keep my energy levels up?

I went to the doctor and told him that at least once a month I am so tired I could sleep for days and he sais this is normal. He simply sent me home with nothing.

I have also been experiancing excess hair loss. I am a female with brown shoulder length hair. Does anyone know why this happens?? I wake up in the morning and I see hair everywhere. Please help me.

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer my questions. Now I must go sleep as always feeling extremely tired.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

You might ask about getting a blood test to find out what your levels of testosterone and estrogen are. Don't let your doctor say no because of age, I'm 25 and have levels too low to be detected by the tests! Taking testosterone has keep me from needing a three hour nap every day! (Not to mention helping a bunch of other symptoms...) But particularly with the tiredness and hairloss, a hormone test could help.

Are you anemic?

Hi Jogi:

If your doctor is not taking your fatigue and hair loss serious I would find another doctor. There are a number of things that could be causing your problems, and it needs to be checked into by blood work.

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? That could cause hair loss and fatigue. Do you have unexplained joint or muscle pain? There are a lot things that it could be, that is why it's so important to find a good doctor that will listen to you.

Several months after going gluten free I began to have unexplained EXTREME fatigue and could not do in a day what I once could (cleaning house, running errands, etc.). I went to my doctor and he ran some test after I explained to him what was going on. The test came back positive and I am currently being checked for Lupus, I am already being treated for Hypothyroidism so I knew it wasn't that.

Feel free to send me an email if you have any further questions..... Take care and I hope you find some energy soon!

Anemia is a real possibility as celiac can interfere with iron absorption.This can really cause problems with low energy and sleepiness too.Is your doctor really familiar with celiac disease.Many are not and they tend to downplay symptoms like these.Bloodtests are probably a good idea.My doctors also checked for thyroid problems as mentioned above.I do construction work and I can vouch for the fact that anemia can really take a toll on your energy.

good luck

Ads by Google:

It could very welll be thyroid problems, you could also try and see a sleep doctor. in the fall i started to be so tired and i went to a sleep doctor and it turns out i have sleep apnea, you nver know, you could be ripping your hair out in you sleep.

Hi Jogi,

You should be checked for iron deficiency anemia. I was extremely tired, and my doctor found that my iron levels were so low that I had to have a tranfusion of iron (not a blood tranfusion- just iron in solution). It really helped to boost my energy, and taking a daily iron supplement keeps me feeling good.

Good luck to you!

Check out the thyroid info at about.com. There are many undiagnosed/undertreated thryoid people in the world. Most doctors don't have a clue. Also, do a search for the Broda Barnes Foundation. They have some good info. thyroid@yahoogroups.com is a good support group and place to ask questions. Get the right tests done (TSH, FT3 and FT4) and post to the group including lab ranges. F=free. Never hurts to get it checked out. Hugs, Carol B

Thank you for the help :) I really apreciate it.

I have had blood tested before but this was for vitamins and he said everything was fine. I will go see the same doctor next week and get these tests done this is really getting worse.

Thank you for all your help.

Also I was wondering if any of you take daily pills or supplements to help with vitamin intake? I am curious if I should be taking something outside of eating healthy.

Thank you to all :)