This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In The Pittsburgh Area?

Guest ldeverhart

Guest ldeverhart

If there is any young professionals with celiac from the Pittsburgh area that would want to chat or meet up sometime, I could use some diet help; Im new to this. About me: Open Original Shared Link Advertisement/deverhart

Good day

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Ideverhart Hello

I tried to go to your site but my computer isn't doing much tonite!!!. I had trouble even getting on here tonite. But please feel free to pm me anytime. I'll try to help as much as I can. I've been gluten-free for about four years and doing very good. I also have three others in my family gluten-free, there could be more but they are to stubborn to get tested.So I guess they suffer.

Where are you located? I'm in Butler and there are several others in the area also. I think we should find a neutral spot and all meet?

mamaw

Guest ldeverhart

Hello,

Sorry, for some reason this site changed my web address to "lame advertisment" after I posted. I live in the Mt. Washington area; I usually go to the Starbucks in the Southside Sunday afternoons, if you could make it get back to me.

I could use some good ideas for meals (especially breakfast and lunch) as well as some good places to eat in or around SouthSide, and what to ask for when I go.

I was going to try shopping at Wholefoods in Shadyside this weekend, but I hear its pricy; Im skeptical about buying things that dont say "Gluten Free", I gigured they would have a good selection. It would be nice to know what I could buy at any ordinary grocery store.

Thanks.

penguin Community Regular
Im skeptical about buying things that dont say "Gluten Free", I gigured they would have a good selection. It would be nice to know what I could buy at any ordinary grocery store.

I've been glutened by more things that say "gluten-free" on them than by mainstream products!

I buy a lot of Kraft, Unilever, and General Mills products because they will always clearly label gluten in the ingredient statement.

rache Apprentice

just for other pittsburgh-local people: my sister, who lives on the southside, was in a store in bloomfield and said she found gluten-free beer. ive never had beer, so i have no clue if the gluten-free stuff would be any good. but she said she would pick me up some next time she was there, just something new to try! i didnt think anywhere around here even old the stuff. so if you know of anyone who would want to try it, let me know. ill get the name of the store. sorry im kind of off track here, but i thought it was something interesting!!

oh and ldeverhart: walmarts great value products post "gluten free" on them. at least you can get some basic products there, cheap. and you know theyre safe!!

-lets see how many times i can edit one post... i need to learn to type today! ;)

Guest ldeverhart

to rache: You would be my hero if you could get the name of the store in bloomfield that sells the gluten free beer!

rache Apprentice
to rache: You would be my hero if you could get the name of the store in bloomfield that sells the gluten free beer!

ill email her right now! get back to you as soon as i hear back from her!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Ideverhard

It's nice to know that your site was not correct as I'm terrible at this computer stuff!!!!!

For mainstream products that you can find in a reg. grocery: Progresso mushroom soup, chicken rice soup, and the chicken vegetable are gluten-free , as well as there tomato paste, sauce,pizza sauce. Giant Eagle that has the Nature Basket (health stuff) has Amy's gluten-free mac & cheese frozen (not bad) and a few others that are gluten-free.They also carry tinkyada pastas which are one of the better ones. My fav is BiAglut ! GE also has Dietz & Watson deli meats that are very good and gluten-free. They also carry Bette Hagman and Authenic Foods flours if you want to make your own things. These two flours are a one to one ratio meaning you don't have to add to it.

Amy's tomato bisque soup is wonderful if you like tomato soup . Ian's and Wellshire kids makes gluten-free weiners, chicken nuggets and fish sticks, I'm not crazy about them but they are available. I usually use Kahn's or oscar meyer for hot dogs.

Dinty moore beef stew is okay but not the chicken stew.

Cream of rice or buckwheat is available at GE too....I also buy the CHi Chi's sweet corn mix there.

There is a bakery in greensburg that does baking gluten-free. JillyBeans.

The best selection is at Sunnybridge in McMurray Pa. Gina carries alot of gluten-free..Herbalicious in Mt Pleasant will give a free start up pkg if you have a note from your doc. Gina gives 10 % off with a note.

There is a jewish market in Squirrel Hill that carries some HOffner gluten-free products.

For lunch alot of times I have veggies & dip, or deli meat & cheese wrapped in a lettuce leaf. Salsa and chips are quick too.

I'm usually not available on Saturday's. Sorry ...... when I eat out I usually stick to the very basic stuff, salads (no Croutons)grilled fish,steak or chicken. and steamed veggies.

I did hear that the cheesecake factory has a gluten-free cheesecake. I tried to find it on Carson Street when I was down on the southside but I didn't see it.

Outback has a good gluten-free menu, I eat at the Texas Roadhouse and they are pretty good with advise.Boston market has gluten-free items but some are afraid they will get some wheat . I never had a problem but I watch them closely and ask that they pick up my chicken or turkey with a clean tong.....

Mitchell's fish house has gluten-free menu.I eat at eat n park too.

Hope this helps you a bit.

I think there are now several places in Pgh selling gluten-free beer. I don't drink it so I never checked it out. There are a couple of companies producing gluten-free beer now.

You can Google anything and you can find out who carries it.We make homemade wine so I guess that's why I don't drink beer...

mamaw

rache Apprentice

ok, she said its at the 7-11 on friendship avenue in bloomfield. if you try it, let me know how it is!

jesse Newbie

hey,

first post on this site. just wanted to say, cooking gluten free is not difficult. sure i cook professionally, but it is still no rocket science really. if anyone really needs advice and lives in the pittsburgh area drop me an email. you can still make home made soups that are real good, making bread is about the same as it was before now all you have to do different is use a new mix, and rice flour is your new friend.

a little more to it than that, but not really even...

peace,

jdog

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Ideverhard

I did hear that the cheesecake factory has a gluten-free cheesecake. I tried to find it on Carson Street when I was down on the southside but I didn't see it.

mamaw

It's right across from the movie theater.

steveindenver Contributor

I grew up in the Burgh, live in Denver now, but I did check this site out for planning my visit in November.

Open Original Shared Link

It's a far better site then the Denver's Celiac website.

I was so excited to come back home after four years and eat a Primanti's sandwich, then an Eat 'n Park smiley cookie - then I got my diagnosis. Oh well...it could be worse.

Good luck!

mamaw Community Regular

fiddle-faddle

thanks for letting me know where the cheesecake factory is located.I didn't have a ton of time to look but I guess ijust missed it altogether. I had my son down at the Sport complex UPMC. Next time I will head straight to cheese cake factory. Did you have the gluten-free c cake? I can make them but I'm being lazy.....

thanks again for the ifo

mamaw

CarlaB Enthusiast

When I emailed the Cheesecake Factory, they told me their Godiva Cheesecake was the one that was gluten-free. I was glad to hear that it was the chocolate one, but by the time I finished my dinner, I was too stuffed to eat it! Next time I'll go straight for the cheesecake!

They panfried salmon for me, something that's not actually on their menu. I had it with the asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes. Their corporate office had told me to ask for the manager and discuss my options. They also suggested I get something panfried to avoid contamination. They really went out of their way when I was there to take care of me. I would definately go back!

Carla

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Carla

Thanks for the info about Cheesecake Factory. It sounds like they care about their diners. That always doesn't happen. I will be sure to find the place next time since i missed it last time I was near one. Fiddle Faddle put me onto where it is....

Where do you shop in Ohio for gluten-free? I drive over to the Raisin rack about four times a year to stock up.

Any good places to eat ?

mamaw

CarlaB Enthusiast

The Cheesecake Factory I went to was in Alpharette, GA where some of my friends live. Their corporate office was helpful online and I believe they would be accomodating at any of their restaurants.

I am still living in Indiana with our daughter who is a senior in HS. My hubby and other kids moved to Ohio in Feb. and we get the whole family together on weekends. In Bloomington there is a place called Sahara Mart that has a gluten-free section. I get my cookies, crackers, etc. there and buy the naturally gluten-free stuff at Kroger. I also shop at another health food store that has the best chocolate cookies I've ever had, and they happen to be gluten-free. They won't give me the recipe, even though we're moving from here, but once I figure it out, I'll post it here. I'm pretty good at that kind of thing ;)

Near us in Ohio we have a Wild Oats. There is also a Jungle Jim's about a half hour drive away that is apparently having a gluten-free event this Saturday. I'm going to go check them out since I'll be over there for the weekend.

Where is the Raisin Rack? I live near Cincinnati, err, I'll live near Cincinnati the end of May. :blink:

Carla

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Carla

There is a raisin rack in Westerville and one in Canton. I've been to the wild oats & also Jungle Jim's. Trader Joe's also may have some things. There is a cindy's health food store around Warren but that's a distance from you.

Raisin rack seems to have the biggest variety that I've found in Ohio so far. I just wish everything I like would be in one place. instead of getting a couple of things here & there. One stop shopping is what we all need.

There is a bakery called Kathy's Creations that is pretty good. She is in Alliance Ohio and she has items in some resturants & mainstream stores . Plus there is a Whole foods around Columbus area. It t akes me about 2 1/2 hours to get to Canton area but it is worht it as there is not much in my area....

Good luck on your move

keep in touch

you can pm me if you like.

mamaw

Wexford Beer has rampo gluten-free beer. Phone number is 724-935-3500

Located in Wexford, Pa

Happy chugging!!

mamaw

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thank you for all the information! My husband travels over six states, so I'll be sure to have him check out some of these places for me! One of his customers is in Canton, so that one should be easy.

Archived