This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breast Implants And Celiac Disease

Mayam

Mayam Apprentice

Hi,

Not sure where to post this topic - thought I might try here since it seems that quite a few women who get implants are very active.

Do you know of anyone or do you have breast implants and celiac disease? If so, how was your recovery? Did you have any complications?

Please respond only to the question - I don't want to start a debate over breast implants.

Thank you for any help provided

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

hi!!!

just curious why you're asking about this.....Ive had implants for 3 years now, I have celiac disease and I havent had any known problems. so now Im worried after reading this question. I never even thought of celiac disease throughout the process. Is there something important to know?? if so, please share. thanks!

Mayam Apprentice

Sorry if I've worried you needlessly - I'm sure there is nothing to worry about if you haven't had any problems yet.

The reason I asked the question was one of the ps' I saw for a consult had mentioned that with celiac disease being like a psuedo-autoimmune disorder it may put me at higher risk for infection. Another ps didn't even address the issue. I was just curious....my celiac disease is under control and I've been gluten-free for 2+yrs so I'm not worried that my body is necessarily more prone to infection.

I could see this as more of an issue if you had an autoimmune disorder that was difficult to predict or control, but being gluten-free should make me like a "normal" person (when I say normal I mean at no higher risk for complications than the general pop. or people w/out celiac disease), don't you think?

I'm glad you haven't had any problems. I was just curious and I wanted to cover all my bases before I made my decision.

Thanks!

Ursa Major Collaborator

Mayam, I am glad your celiac disease is under control. But breast implants have been shown to trigger other autoimmune diseases as well. Since you're obviously prone to develop autoimmune diseases other than celiac disease already, are you sure you want to take the risk?

penguin Community Regular

ANY major surgery, illness, pregnancy, or trauma can trigger autoimmune diseases. If your celiac is under control, I don't see why it would be a problem, and you'd have roughly the same risks as everyone else.

You are opening yourself up to the possibility to triggering more autoimmune diseases, but you do that every day when you get into a car hoping not to crash. It's a personal descision, plain and simple.

Sandyo Apprentice

I had implant a year ago in September. I was just diagnosed through a stool sample at Enterolab with Gluten Sensitivity...but neg on the blood test for Celiac. I'm just starting my gluten free diet. I have wondered if there were any connections between the two. Also I have just been diagnosed with Grover's Disease, which is a skin rash of sorts....where at a microscopic level my cells are breaking apart. Hard to tell the difference between Grovers and Acne. This is supposed to be transient but I've had it for over a year now and have already taken Accutane for 5 months and it came right back. I'm going on Accutane again today.

So while I'm happy with my breast implants...although I'm a athlete and they are diffently harder than real breast so it's not a comfortable sleeping. I'm only now feeling only the hardness when I lay on them and not uncomfortable pain.

I've wondered about the connection between these three things. I don't have any answers. The doctors have told me there is no connection and that this rash is not DH and did not result from the implants.

At this point I don't know if I would have bothered to get them if I would have known all this was going to happen. I'm turning 45 in a couple of weeks. Maybe it just old age ;)

I don't know if this helps you....but I thought I'd respond as you might not get much feedback due to lack of people having Celiac and breast implants.

Good luck in your decision. I wish you the best.

cultureslayer Rookie

Make sure your surgeon has a low infection rate, and ask if you can get a small sample of the implant material. After taking a shower, tape it to your skin overnight or for a few days in a sensitive spot. If there's a reaction it will definitely be a problem, but if there's not a reaction there shouldn't be a major short term reaction.

I refuse to live my life in a cave eating beans and rice to try to avoid triggering an autoimmune disease. It'll happen anyway sooner or later. The more concerning part for me would be that I'm hard to get under and maintain anesthesia. Unless someone's a AA and their clothes have never fit right, they have no reason to tell you that you shouldn't get implants

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

My bra size used to be a 38 A (big rib cage) while weighing 120 lb, being 5'6". It has always been a nightmare finding bras that fit. Now it is 42 B (down from a 44 B for many years). I just managed to buy myself some bras, after searching for two years, while the other bras were falling apart. Just in case anybody thinks I am being a hypocrite. I am just concerned for anybody considering implants, I hate to see people suffer unnecessarily.

An excerpt from an article on breast implants Open Original Shared Link:

Risks of Breast Implants

1. Implants can rupture during mammography.

2. Implants make routine self exams and mammography more difficult. More views are necessary, meaning additional radiation each time.

3. Implant rupture can go undetected for years and silicone is known to migrate through the lymph system and has been found in the brains, spinal fluid, ovaries, livers, and other organs of implanted women.

4. Implants are not lifetime devices, and may need to be replaced (even without systemic problems) more than once a decade.

5. At any time infections are possible, including fungal and antibiotic resistant bacterial infestations.

6. Loss of breast sensation, especially around the nipple area is reported, as well as hyper-senstivity to touch.

7. Capsular contracture can be very uncomfortable, to the point of severe pain and deformation.

8. Many women have experienced severe necrosis and other forms of breast tissue loss.

9. Many women have experienced serious autoimmune diseases post implantation including: rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, multiple sclerosis, Sjøgrens Syndrome (severe dry mouth, eyes, etc.), and lupus.

Those women with pre-existing compromised immune systems are now warned to avoid implants.

10. Disproportional numbers of implanted women have reported neurological and cognitive complications, as well as endocrine disruption including hysterectomies, miscarriage.

11. Children born of implanted women have experienced the same autoimmune conditions and have been seriously inadequately studied.

12. Breast implants often negatively affect the ability to produce milk for breast-feeding.

13. Health insurance carriers are routinely denying coverage for implanted (and explanted) women.

francelajoie Explorer

I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs. I wear size 36C...want some of mine? You can have them for free! :P

cultureslayer Rookie

Ursula, you do realize that silicone implants are not available in the US, don't you (except for reconstruction)? The current implants are a bag of saline. That's right, IV solution. THere's a new mammogram procedure being tested in Canada that doesn't use any pressure, so that won't be a concern for long. Most everything else can be avoided by going to a doctor that knows what they are doing.

Next time maybe you should look at both sides of the issue instead of just a site that gives alternative medicine a bad name.

I forgot to mention why I don't have them, in case anyone cares. Even if women don't have them, most have nothing against implants.

My shoulders are too big for women's jackets, and having boobs would make it impossible to find anything to wear.

I would love to start riding track (motorcycles) and I'm aggressive enough that it's only a matter of time before I start falling off and popping them on a semi regular basis. The continual expense when I'm already out a bike and some gear would make it too much of a hassle.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Actually we are going to start using a silicone gel type of implant again here in the US for cosmetic purposes. However most implants are filled with saline solution which should it leak you won't have a problem.

I am the plastic surgery queen.... I don't have breast implants, I happen to love my smallish breasts however I happen to know one of the world's top plastic surgeons and have had some minor work done myself (not to mention as I age I anticipate having more "minor" work done and research the topic often, my goal is to not look 25 but to look really good for my age, sadly I have tons of sun damage and genetics working against me, hence my minor work).

I also happen to have porex cheek implants (a huge secret that no one knows... lol). I was ot diagnosed with Celiac until after I had my implants put in however... I certainly had Celiac for years prior to that... I believe it started 14 years ago after childbirth, my implants are only 5 years old. I guess any sort of surgery can trigger further auto immune problems and I took that risk and still do, I was very unhappy with my looks for years and the small bit of work I've had done gave me tons of self confidence, I don't regret having any of it. I've always felt that if you do it for the right reasons (say.... not becuase a boyfriend says I wish you had huge breasts) but because you really want them then its a good thing.

I know at least 10 people with long term breast implants and not one has had a problem. However most people don't realize that breast implants are not forever, you WILL have to have them redone at some point, usually between 10 and 20 years out.

The most important thing is successful plastic surgery is your surgeon, have a few consults with a few different doctors and check their records with your state (to see if there are malpractice suits pending or settled in court, its public info). Find out if what you want done is their speciality, I would not go to a general plastic surgeon for them, go to a doctor that does mostly breasts, there are usually a few in every major city, experience is a good predictor of outcome in plastic surgery, make sure your surgeon is board certified and my personal preference is a doctor that specialized in plastic surgery, any doctor, that includes say an ob/gyn can hang out a shingle saying they are a plastic surgeon, any of them can... mine went to yale and harvard and specialized in reconstructive facial plastic surgery, he was not an ENT first (many so called plastic surgeons are ENT's) but the bulk of their training is about head ear, nose and neck stuff NOT surgery, allergies, diseases, etc. A sugeon does surgery thru their training, they get far more of that all important experience.

Ask how many breasts he has done. The first surgeon I went to had done just 6 cheek implants, my surgeon had done over 350. Huge difference. My very best friend had breast implants 5 years ago at about 43 years old and says her only regret is that she didn't have them done at 20.

Enjoy!

Susan

Ursa Major Collaborator
Ursula, you do realize that silicone implants are not available in the US, don't you (except for reconstruction)? The current implants are a bag of saline. That's right, IV solution. THere's a new mammogram procedure being tested in Canada that doesn't use any pressure, so that won't be a concern for long. Most everything else can be avoided by going to a doctor that knows what they are doing.

Next time maybe you should look at both sides of the issue instead of just a site that gives alternative medicine a bad name.

If you would actually have read down all the way of the article, you would have found this about saline implants:

The damage to many had already been done. Now, like the millions with failed gel implants, they are faced with yet another difficult decision, should they replace them with saline filled implants? Is Saline the Solution?

From her wheelchair, Jackie Strange, the former Deputy Postmaster General of the United States spoke of the destruction of her life at hearings by the Institute of Medicine at the National Academy of Sciences in Washington, DC.

Infections, peripheral neuropathy, and a myriad of autoimmune diseases struck in both rapid and slow succession following her implantation with saline filled, silicone implants. Concurrently, the manufacturers and plastic surgeons were creating a multi-media blitz touting saline implants from billboards, glossy magazines and TV. With ads reminiscent of "You've come a long way, baby," young women were featured praising their implants and plastic surgeons did the Talk Show circuit assuring women that saline was "natural" and leakage benign.

In Spring, 2000, in spite of over 50,000 reports of serious adverse reactions from water-filled implants, the FDA made the fateful decision to give their highly valued stamp of "safety approval" on two brands of saline implants, declaring them "safe enough." How can this be?

The manufacturers own studies show that within just the first 3 years, nearly 40% of post-mastectomy patients had to have additional surgeries with these implants.

The complication rate for these women is around 80% in just 4 years time. After cancer, invasive surgery to remove the tumors, often radiation and / or chemotherapy, the body is simply not strong enough to handle this foreign invader.

Even for women wanting implants just for augmentation to boost their self-esteem, the complication rates are staggering. Glamour Magazine, in their November 2000 issue published a full page photo revealing a saline filled implant, entirely black with aspergillus niger and other fungi.

Making them no safer than the rest. Now, if you don't like Dr. Mercola, I could find you a thousand other sources that say the same. Dr. Mercola was just the easiest to find for me.

Here are some other links then, if Dr. Mercola isn't good enough:

Open Original Shared Link

Here is one excerpt from the above article:

Saline breast implants are not lifetime devices,and may need to be replaced (even without systemic problems) more than once a decade. According to current statistics from the FDA, 20% of of the patients implanted will require further surgery within five years of implantation. With each additional surgery, breast tissue is lost.

Okay, that should do it for now. There were 383,000 articles that came up when putting into the google search engine 'breast implants dangers', and the above links are from only the first 20 of these. I could post thousands more, but won't.

I can't stop anybody from having breast implants, obviously. It's a personal decision, and I won't put down anybody who has breast implants, or will get them. But I believe in INFORMED decisions, and all I am trying to do is ensure that people make informed decisions. I provide the info, they decide. I will back off now, as I have done what in good conscience I felt I needed to do. I don't care what any of you think of me for being concerned and posting what I did.

Mayam Apprentice

Thank you for the info. and concerns.

I've been researching this and debating this for quite some time. I do feel as if I am making an informed choice. Obviously there is a risk with any type of surgery - this is a personal decision and appreciate the responses with no judgement.

Thanks!

cultureslayer Rookie

Mastectomy patients are COMPLETELY different than normal patients. If you've ever talked with a cancer surgeon (I have) you'll know that using their complication rates is complete BS scare tactics for the rest of the population. Cancer patients are exceptionally difficult to operate on.

The implants are manufactured in a sterile and exceptionally dust and contaminant free environment. If there's bio burden (dead bacteria or fungi) or live bacteria or fungi those are because of the surgeon. Have you ever talked to someone that's worked in a clean room? My friend that does cleanroom work is actually working in an environment a few levels below that required for implants and the requirements are still very impressive.

I have taken multiple graduate level biomaterials courses. I know what's involved in breast implants a hell of a lot better than you do. Some people can have immune problems from monomers in the plastic, but you're exposed to mers by drinking from a plastic bottle (that's what gives water a "plastic" taste) or storing your food in plastic. If it's a problem for you chances are you're already having problems and the implants might just make it a little worse. And that's a BIG IF. You have no idea how much you are exposed to monomers.

Ursula, you do realize that the keyboard you are typing at is more dangerous than a breast implant, don't you?

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

You only live once and if having the surgery is important to you, then go for it. I did. Ive wanted them for 20 years. Ive never been happier. There are risks in everything---all type of surgery. I have implants and I have Celiac. I also live in NY City. I think there may be more risks just walking down the street, in NYC, than having breast implants.......

Do whats right for you and you only.

Good luck!

Ursa Major Collaborator
Ursula, you do realize that the keyboard you are typing at is more dangerous than a breast implant, don't you?

You may want to remember that when spewing your negative and insulting comments in various threads around here. At least I remain polite and try hard not to offend people while giving my opinions. It would be nice if you would do the same.

mommida Enthusiast

Cultureslayer,

It seems to me you are responding a bit too harshly.

The topic was breast implants. I think the question in mind has to do with a Celiac puting a foreign substance into their body.

L.

cultureslayer Rookie

You need to start thinking about relative risk :D. I'm more likely to get killed on my bicycle than by big boobs. Heck, the bacteria on unwashed organic veggies can be pretty dangerous (yes, this has been confirmed by a microbiologist/immunologist, it's a classic intro micro lab).

Once I get the track out of my system I'll probably get a pair (and a little lipo to even out my figure). "No replacement for displacement" :lol:

Mo, Ursula was the one that started it by posting the scare sites. I just responded with more informed information about the risks of breast implants, which IS what the topic is about.

I also PMed the OP and offered to send journal articles.

mommida Enthusiast

Just offer the information sites and say you don't believe the information presented was the best source. :)

We have to learn to think a little longer before we post, because a person's feelings can get hurt. :);)

Thank you everyone for posting your information, pros and cons of breast implants.

L.

cultureslayer Rookie

Ah, the royal "we" :angry:

If you think that I need to start sugar coating and p%$#@# footing then say so. I have a low BS and "filler" tolerance. I've heard lots of it in my life from all directions (patients, doctors, supplement companies, "advocacy" sites, you name it) especially since I now live in a town full of hippie wanna bes.

mommida Enthusiast

OK It wasn't "we" It was "I" had to learn how to watch how to word my opinions here.

I regret hurting someone's feelings unintentionally.

I think you are writing some very intelligent posts, but the message is getting lost in a negative tone.

L.

cultureslayer Rookie

Are you seriously that sensitive? You didn't hurt my feelings, takes much more than that. Sorry to disappoint you.

Rusla Enthusiast

I had breast implants for 15 years, they had broken shortly after being put in, although I did not know till 15 years later. During that time many things happened along with constant illeness and sore throats, weird spots that have never left my body. They were afraid I had cancer and now I have two horrifying scars on top of my breasts. The silicone oozed throughout my body and formed like cement on my chest walls. I believe I had celiac before but this triggered probably many others.

I knew one woman who was only 35 years old, she was bright and creative and in less than six months of her implants breaking her mind went, she was found to be Celiac and died of lupus . I know many others who died and had autoimmune diseases which they never had before because of the implants. I have been fighting in a class action suit for the last 20 years over this.

I questioned the doctor extensively about what were the risks and he said there were none, and they would never break. Well, he is now in the US doing implants and every woman he put implants in have been sick and they all broke. I had an extensive conversation with his ex wife who is also a doctor. She told me everyone is looking for him but his being in the US puts him out of our reach.

For anyone planning on getting them. Please, please be so careful. If he had told me the truth, I would have never got the darn things.

lovegrov Collaborator

especially since I now live in a town full of hippie wanna bes.

Ummm, what exactly are "hippie wanna bes"? Are they like bees but without one of the "e's"? Are they all smelly and long-haired and smoke illegal stuff?

Your comment is ridiculous.

richard

cultureslayer Rookie

They usually bathe, drive SUVs while using cell phone and drinking their organic latte, think I'm inferior for eating meat and non-organic produce (I promise, every vegetarian roommate I have had has shown signs of mental illness), ONLY shop at the health food store, but when asked don't know the difference between slippery elm and guar gum (they just take the trendy supplements, no real herbal knowledge), consider running every other week to be "regular exercise" and in general participate in large amounts or posturing and poserism.

Archived