This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nght Owls?

GreySaber

Are you a nightowl? Have trouble sleeping?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GreySaber Apprentice

Hey, how many of you are night owls? I'm curious how many celiacs have sleep issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Collagenous colitis is very nocturnal. It loves to wake me around 2 or 3 a.m., I have to go around 5 or 6 times, have cramps and abdominal pain for awhile then it settles down around 5 or 6 a.m. (just in time for the kids to get up! <_< )

That is why so many of my posts are through the night.......

Karen

evie Rookie

:blink: Does it ever get better? Just into this problem a few months but have missed a lot of good sleep!!

So lack energy bigtime. Looking forward to a GOOD night's sleep. Just found i also have "dumping syndrome", anyone else have that problem? Need to eat many small meals and no liquid with meals, just 1 hour after meal. am sure will get used to this too. :) evie

ianm Apprentice

Pre-gluten free I had a lot of sleep problems but that is rare now.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, I COULD sleep like a baby all night, if I wasn't at my best after 8:00 PM normally. Plus, I can't function (as in nervous breakdown) unless I get enough privacy and quiet time every day. Unfortunately, with a teenager (who loves to blast loud music and is a hyper kid, who never stops talking) and a 20-year-old (who isn't much better), and a husband who likes to work from home at least twice a week, the only time I get the peace I need is during the night. Plus, I tend to forget about time and space when doing research on the Internet (or playing games), or reading, and when I look at the clock, it could 'suddenly' be 4:00 AM! :o I don't necessarily mean to go to bed that 'late' (early), but it happens more often than I really like.

Laura Apprentice

From very shortly after they brought me home from the hospital, I took a long time to fall asleep but once asleep slept through the night. As I've gotten older, I've figured out that my body clock just wants me up at night and asleep until mid-day, and that if I go to sleep very very late, I fall asleep relatively quickly (for me anyway) and am generally much happier. Doesn't seem at all connected to celiac, given that the basic pattern was set before I was on any solid foods at all and hasn't changed since I went gluten-free.

VydorScope Proficient
I slept like a baby, screaming frequently and waking those around me

:lol::lol::lol::lol: SOOOO TRUE!!!

I just love when ppl say "yea I slept like a baby" and Im like, "who got up 10 times ot change your diaper and feed you"?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice
From very shortly after they brought me home from the hospital, I took a long time to fall asleep but once asleep slept through the night. As I've gotten older, I've figured out that my body clock just wants me up at night and asleep until mid-day, and that if I go to sleep very very late, I fall asleep relatively quickly (for me anyway) and am generally much happier. Doesn't seem at all connected to celiac, given that the basic pattern was set before I was on any solid foods at all and hasn't changed since I went gluten-free.

That describes me, exactly! I'm happy to be self-employed so I can set my own hours, I never make appointments before noon if I can help it. :D

Interestingly, whenever I get a really good stretch of time without glutenings, meaning I'm feeling my healthiest and best, I only need six-seven hours of sleep, I sleep like a log (not a baby!) and wake up without an alarm clock at an hour that surprises me!

Pauliina

tiffjake Enthusiast

I have ALWAYS been a night owl. I worked at a hospital on the 7p-7a shift and LOVED it. I thrive at night. I don't know why. My husband jokes that we will be ready for kids because he will take days and I will take nights. I am up till nearly dawn, and then I sleep till 4 in the afternoon. I don't work right now, so it is ok. But I will be screwed if I have to get a job! I am taking internet classes so I am at my own pace/schedule. Works for me, for now. And I am going to nursing school, so perhaps I will be on the night shift again one day. I love nights!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I sleep like a baby through the night and have not really had much trouble sleeping. Now, I will wake up easily to any little noise but can get back to sleep quick. I am however a night owl but I am a college student so what do you expect lol.

elonwy Enthusiast

I had horrible insomnia up until I went gluten free. It was so bad I had to start medicating because I would turn into a zombie by the end of the week. Now I'm in bed by 11:30 on weeknights and waking me up is a feat, but I'm up by 7 on work days. This is from someone who lived on 2 hours a night for years, just from never being able to fall asleep. Though a friday a couple weeks ago I stayed up all night, but it was a party so it doesn't count :)

Elonwy

Archived