This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

House Tv Show Will Feature Celiac Disease

irish

Guest nini
Has anyone looked down to see how many people are reading this thread right now? :D

LOL!! Yes... The voices still talk to me... I must still be getting glutened... wait, yep, I am... was up half the night last night...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadian Karen Community Regular
my hubby still jokes about the voices I hear...

Hey, Nini, don't worry, you're not the only one..... I dug up this old thread about more of us hearing voices:

Open Original Shared Link

Maybe it was celiac related after all!!!!!

Hugs.

Karen

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I have been watching House the past few weeks and I thought they would do something with someone in extreme weight loss or have it as a minor plot to one of the main characters. The show is good but I am still disappointed.

Guhlia Rising Star

Is this the very first mainstream coverage (Discovery channels not included) that Celiac disease has gotten?

ladyx Newbie

I thought the show was great because half my family has mental issues and they are to crazy to beleive me that it could come from celiac...my son had seizures everytime he breast fed and when I tried to tell the doctor it had to be something in my breast milk he said I was crazy. You wouldn't believe all the things vitiamin difficancy can do to you. And the baby didn't die from just celiac diease...his mom tried to drowned him then sufocate him which caused some kind of liver failure...they couldn't get his potasium levels down which gave him a heart attack....anyway. Celiac causes different symtoms in different people...my brother who diagnosed himself simply because I have it and he has roasha on his face has no other symtoms except gerd like me but no....none...none at all gi problems...I for one am glad they showed some of the more uncommon symtoms for those people who think because they don't have gi problems they don't have celiac.

by the way anyone who recorded it I would love a copy...I didn't know it was going to be on about celiac or I would have recorded it...I just watch house anyway and watched it. who ever recorded it please pm me so I can get a copy to convince my crazy family to get tested...thanks.

Guhlia Rising Star

Karen, thank you SSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for posting that thread!!! I used to always hear the radio on. Sometimes I would even search the house for the noise, and of course, there was never anything on. Yea!!!! I'm not crazy!!! Well, maybe a little... :rolleyes: But who's to say a 'lil crazy isn't good? :D

Seriously, thanks for reposting that. I must've missed that discussion.

e&j0304 Enthusiast

I am reading all of this with lots of interest. I have a dd who is gluten intolerant (no "celiac" genes) and although was neg for blood test had a pos. stool test and very positive dietary response.

I am suffering from anxiety and depression and although I don't hear voices, I do feel quite hopeless and sad a lot. Could this be gluten related? I am not on the diet and don't feel as though I have any other signs of being intolerant to gluten.

I can't believe I just opened up about that on here...I usually don't tell anyone. But I guess I don't really know you all, right?

I also thought the House episode was extreme, but that's the way House is...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Flippin' great! Whether it was crazy or not, I'm just glad Celiac made it onto the show! I yelled loudly though when they mentioned villious atrophy and dh told me to be quiet, and I was like "I'm excited! Don't boss me around!!" :lol:

HA :lol: Jen, your hearing voices but they are your hubby yelling at ya. :lol::lol:

guess i'm just out of the loop here

judy

mommida Enthusiast

That's how it is here. :D We are full of TMI! :blink::D Until they pull the thread. :ph34r:

L.

Guhlia Rising Star
I am reading all of this with lots of interest. I have a dd who is gluten intolerant (no "celiac" genes) and although was neg for blood test had a pos. stool test and very positive dietary response.

I am suffering from anxiety and depression and although I don't hear voices, I do feel quite hopeless and sad a lot. Could this be gluten related? I am not on the diet and don't feel as though I have any other signs of being intolerant to gluten.

I can't believe I just opened up about that on here...I usually don't tell anyone. But I guess I don't really know you all, right?

That absolutely, without a doubt could be a symptom of celiac disease!!! And please, NEVER feel ashamed of anything you reveal on this board. We've all (most) been through a myriad of "embarassing" symptoms that we would never admit to the "normal" world. Diarrhea, excessive stinky gas, psychosis, depression, anxiety, hearing things, constipation, bloody stools, etc... None of it is very pleasant. We're a big family here.

jerseyangel Proficient

Depression and anxiety are definately symptoms. I had both to the point where some days I would not get out of bed. Anxiety was one of my worst symptoms--I started having panic attacks in the mid 80's. The gluten-free diet has slowly lessened these for me. Depression is not a real problem anymore, and I get anxious when accidently glutened.

mouse Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for filling me in. It does not come on here for 20 minutes. I wanted to go to bed early as I am really tired and now I can. Hope the rest of you enjoy the show. As far as the nutsy part of it, I believe it. After I had my second miscarriage, I seriously considered pushing my 3 year old down a flight of stairs. I felt I must be an awful Mother since God wouldn't let me have those other two babies. My husband came home from work that day and I had him drive me to the doctor where I had him immediately commit me to the mental ward. I was so afraid of what I was capable of doing. I got that all under control, but I spent the next almost 40 years with an unbelivable temper that would scare the devil himself. It sure used to scare me. Did not beat anyone, but sure broke a lot of things. My temper is gone since gluten-free. So, yes, I think you can be nutso (for some) digesting gluten.

ladyx Newbie
stressful events can TRIGGER celiac, and yes, some of us were actually a bit nutso before dx... just ask my family.

I know when I was diagnosed I told my husban wow...my head is so quiet...there is only one me in there...I never thought I heard voices...I always thought I was just working out things in my head...actually I was argueing with myself most of the time...but I never thought about hurting my kids...but life has been quieter for me. not ashamed to say I was a bit crazy before my dx cause I'm not crazy now and that is what matters.

Guhlia Rising Star
Thanks everyone for filling me in. It does not come on here for 20 minutes. I wanted to go to bed early as I am really tired and now I can. Hope the rest of you enjoy the show. As far as the nutsy part of it, I believe it. After I had my second miscarriage, I seriously considered pushing my 3 year old down a flight of stairs. I felt I must be an awful Mother since God wouldn't let me have those other two babies. My husband came home from work that day and I had him drive me to the doctor where I had him immediately commit me to the mental ward. I was so afraid of what I was capable of doing. I got that all under control, but I spent the next almost 40 years with an unbelivable temper that would scare the devil himself. It sure used to scare me. Did not beat anyone, but sure broke a lot of things. My temper is gone since gluten-free. So, yes, I think you can be nutso (for some) digesting gluten.

Armetta, God bless you for being so thoughtful of your family as to have yourself committed. That must have been a very hard time for you. Thank you for sharing that.

jerseyangel Proficient
I know when I was diagnosed I told my husban wow...my head is so quiet...there is only one me in there...I never thought I heard voices...I always thought I was just working out things in my head...actually I was argueing with myself most of the time...but I never thought about hurting my kids...but life has been quieter for me. not ashamed to say I was a bit crazy before my dx cause I'm not crazy now and that is what matters.

I know exactly what you mean--I didn't hear voices, but there was always a struggle going on in my head.

Guhlia Rising Star
I know exactly what you mean--I didn't hear voices, but there was always a struggle going on in my head.

Exactly, very well put.

gavinsdaddy Rookie
I think he said that stress "triggers" celiac (I could be mistaken, but that's what I thought I heard), and that statement is absolutely 100% true.

Karen

thats what he said

jams Explorer

Seeing as how House is a drama and not a advocate for Celiac, I was excited that they did a show on it!! I was doubtful last year when the rumor mill started that there might be a celiac episode. I thought it was way to run of the mill for that show.

The thing I did like is this.. Everyone asks me why I can't take vitimans/medicine to make my stomach better when I eat gluten. It demonstrated that on the show. I tell them it is like shag carpet when it's healthy and linolium (yes, that is spelt wrong!) when I eat gluten. NOTHING gets absorbed.

Anyway, seeing as the show is a drama and not meant for educational purposes, I think they did a great job. :)

lorka150 Collaborator

I was sad when I saw that so many people were angry with the episode. I was SUPER pumped to see it - I mean, HELLO? We are finally getting recognized. Let people think that is how horrible it is to understand the severity!

Guhlia Rising Star

the house show has a message board.... i put a post up about celiac... maybe you all could join me in building awareness? www.fox.com/house

LKelly8 Rookie

I wasn't surprised House showed a complicated version of the disease and the few facts they spit out at the end were, at least, accurate - but ending the show with the post-mentally ill mom choosing to die - and showing that as the "just the way it is" was just wrong. I hate it when writers make a martyrdom out of suicide.

Here's a link to the Pellagra (B3/Niacin deficiency) article on MedlinePlus. . .

Open Original Shared Link

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

"As such, it is not beyond the realm of possiblities to view it as a public service; alerting others to such a disease (or any disease) which may cause a parent to harm their child(ren) --deserves commendation rather than condemnation."

That is just one thing that people on the HOUSE message board are saying. I know this poster is not the only one thinking that.

Guhlia Rising Star

"As such, it is not beyond the realm of possiblities to view it as a public service; alerting others to such a disease (or any disease) which may cause a parent to harm their child(ren) --deserves commendation rather than condemnation."

That is just one thing that people on the HOUSE message board are saying. I know this poster is not the only one thinking that.

Exactly, so EVERYONE, please come back me up!!! This is our BIG chance to get the word out to LOTS AND LOTS of people! Come talk about celiac. Educate about Celiac! This is our BIG mainstream chance to get the word out!

Guest Pixi

I had no idea House was doing an episode on this. I was just watching it with my Mom.. and I never watch this show.. and I heard the words "villous atrophy" and I was like, "OOOOO is this Celiac?"

Then I come here and see everyone knew about it, lol. Brraaiiinfog.

Anyway. I thought it was great. Of course, if anyone I know saw it, they're going to get a really exaggerated idea of my experience with this dis-ease.. but, hey, I am kind of nutty.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I'm with ya over there Guhlia!!!!!

Karen

Archived