This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf And Dairy Free

Guest NitaB

Guest NitaB

I'm trying the gluten-free diet. But when I had ice cream a few days ago, it hurt, too. So, I'm trying dairy free also. But, a bit of dairy, like my gluten-free salad dressing, doesn't seem to hurt. Nor does a bit of butter. I'm still not drinking milk, nor having ice cream. I need to know if having these smaller amounts of dairy will keep my lesions from healing as fast? Or, beings they don't hurt my stomach, is it oaky to use them, sparingly?

Thanks!

Nita

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kalo Rookie

Hi Nita. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong. From what I've gathered since being on this board, dairy problems will NOT damage your intestines nor keep them from healing. But they will cause symptoms. Maybe someone can expound a little better on this. I'm glad you've been doing so well over all and hope you keep it up. Hugs, Carol B

flagbabyds Collaborator

The enzymes to digest dairy are on the tips of the villi and if you have been severly damaged by celiac then your villi will be destroyed and there will be no enzymes to digest dairy left. i am not sure if this will slow your recivery but if anything makes you sick, take it out of your diet

Mark Newbie

I also need to be diary free, cos there is a protein called casein in the diary, and, by my opinion, it can cause some light damage as well, or at least keep you from healing faster. Enterolab does the testing for milk intolerance as well.

Mark

Gluten-free Casein-free since September 03

Guest NitaB

Carol, Molly, and Mark,

Thanks you for taking the time to reply!

I'm still able to have small amounts of dairy, with no pain. I have a Dr. appt. on Tues, and hope she can tell me if it is damaging, when not being painful. I haven't seen this reg. Dr. since my diagnosis, so don't know what she knows about gluten-free.

Nita

Mark Newbie

This is what I've found under this Site Index > Allergy vs. Intolerance > Will Other Foods Affect the Villi?

Q: If I am sensitive to milk and eggs...could they damage my villi in the same way as gluten?

A: There’s a specific note in Michael Marsh’s book about food allergies causing villi damage. That’s the book "On Coeliac Disease", page 155. Table there shows that the Type 3 stage of intestinal response, "flat destructive" does occur with milk, egg, soya and chicken or fish allergies. It differs from the celiac response in that only 1 or 3 of the 5 stages of lesion connected with celiac disease occur with an allergy.

To find out whether you have the other food intolerance, you need to run IgA and IgG tests for casein & lactalbumin (milk) and ovalbumin (egg). Don't know if there is any test available for the other foods mentioned.

MARK

gluten-free/CF since September 03

Guest NitaB

Thanks Mark!

I went back to that section and read again. I'm sure I've read a lot, but can't remember what or where!

I had my regular Dr. appt. yesterday. She says dairy doesn't further damage the villi, but to refrain from dairy for a short time, until the healing gets started. Just because it is harder to digest. Then I can add it back.

I was pronounced very healthy! Other than I have to conform to the gluten-free diet, to stay healthy. All those years of taking vitamins and supplements must have paid off. I never have been anemic, and could've had celiac disease for many years!

Lucky for me, there is a DR. in mine's office that has celiac disease, and I can get plenty of literature! And they will find a knowledgeable celiac disease dietician for me to see. So, I will have plenty of help available to me.

Nita

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived