This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bourbon Whiskey:

jenvan

jenvan Collaborator

I am going to make mint juleps tommorrow and was looking for a Bourbon Whiskey. Anyone have one they use? I know Dana lists them as being safe in her new book...but I still have to check on brands. E-mailed a few but haven't heard yet. Thanks! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

I don't drink bourbon, but I've cooked with Jim Beam with excellent results.

I've heard good things about Evan Williams and Wild Turkey, as well.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

My personal favorites are

Booker's

or

Basil Hayden

They are both premium boubons and have a smoother taste than Jim Beam (not that there is anything wrong with Beam)...

They are both premium boubons and have a smoother taste than Jim Beam (not that there is anything wrong with Beam)...

I forgot to mention, I'm in the south. Premium bourbons are for pansies :P

Just kidding. :)

I feel the same way about tequilas...(when I'm drunk)

:)

jenvan Collaborator

Well, I'm no pansy :) Ha ha! I don't drink much...but when I did have a drink or two scotch on the rocks was what I prefered. Like the straight stuff... Too bad the scotch days are over! :unsure: Thanks for the input!

lovegrov Collaborator

Jack Daniels.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Jack Daniels.

richard

HI

I am not a drinker per say....but i do love my 'Calvert's Extra' I have looked and looked on web sites and can't find if's it's gluten-free. I have seen on sites that Segrams is gluten-free. now what about irish Mist? Don't know if this will help jenvan as i don't know the difference between whisky, burbon, but think that my blended burbon is milder and might not be what she needs/

Richard any help here?

thank

judy in philly

jenvan Collaborator

(Judy HI!)

I don't know much about whiskeys...the recipes I found for juleps called for bourbon whiskey...that's all I know. :) I tried to do a little reading...but didn't learn much :huh: If anyone has more info, I would love to hear it!

Like I said, I used to love scotch...and would love to "replace" it with something. I wondered about Brandy, but didn't know where to start there...

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI Jen

I don't know if burbon is a wiskey????

I'm hoping Richard can help us here.

how are you doing today??

I'm good

Jim did a great program for my garden club today.

Glad they all liked it.

he's a good speaker but this one he just did for them..

hugs

judy

(Judy HI!)

I don't know much about whiskeys...the recipes I found for juleps called for bourbon whiskey...that's all I know. :) I tried to do a little reading...but didn't learn much :huh: If anyone has more info, I would love to hear it!

Like I said, I used to love scotch...and would love to "replace" it with something. I wondered about Brandy, but didn't know where to start there...

All bourbon is whiskey, but all whiskey is not bourbon.

They are all aged in Oak barrels, but bourbon is aged in barrells that have been charred first. Bourbon must also be made from a certain percentage of corn in the mash. Over 50% I think. Most of it comes from Kentucky.

Whiskey, I believe, is made more from rye than corn. Jack Daniels is whiskey, not bourbon.

Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, and Evan Williams is all definitely bourbon, and not using good Kentucky bourbon in a mint julep would be a sacrelige. Especially close to derby time ;)

jenvan Collaborator
All bourbon is whiskey, but all whiskey is not bourbon.

They are all aged in Oak barrels, but bourbon is aged in barrells that have been charred first. Bourbon must also be made from a certain percentage of corn in the mash. Over 50% I think. Most of it comes from Kentucky.

Whiskey, I believe, is made more from rye than corn. Jack Daniels is whiskey, not bourbon.

Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, and Evan Williams is all definitely bourbon, and not using good Kentucky bourbon in a mint julep would be a sacrelige. Especially close to derby time ;)

Derby time...That's right--aren't you a "southerner?" :D

Oh and duh--just looked back up top of thread, where you say you are a southerner... oops :blink:

CarlaB Enthusiast

Jack Daniels. They say right on their website that they're gluten-free! Nothing like a good Jack and Coke! How's that for a ladylike drink? :lol: It was a happy day when I found out that my favorite alcoholic beverage was also gluten-free!

jenvan Collaborator

Thanks for the info ya'll...I got some bourbon last night and made up the simple syrup for tonight's juleps--yum :)

rmmadden Contributor

Makers Mark is the finest bourbon I've ever had. They don't advertise much so you may not have heard of them but, trust me, it's some smoooooooooth stuff!

Cleveland Bob B)

jenvan Collaborator
Makers Mark is the finest bourbon I've ever had. They don't advertise much so you may not have heard of them but, trust me, it's some smoooooooooth stuff!

Cleveland Bob B)

My Cleveland Buddy ;) HI! Actually Makers Mark is what I ended up getting. I was a Meijer and just wanted to get it done with other shopping. Glad to hear its good--we'll see tonight! :)

Oh, any other recipes or drinks you use with your makers mark? Or just on ice ever?

My Cleveland Buddy ;) HI! Actually Makers Mark is what I ended up getting. I was a Meijer and just wanted to get it done with other shopping. Glad to hear its good--we'll see tonight! :)

Oh, any other recipes or drinks you use with your makers mark? Or just on ice ever?

Can't gop worng there...

Makers is "nummers"....

astyanax Rookie

bushmill's is my favorite whiskey.

is scotch not ok? i don't really drink it ever but i thought it was gluten-free for the same reasons whiskey is.

rmmadden Contributor

Jen,

I knew you had good taste (How could you not w/ relations that come from Cleveland, right?). I usually just have it over ice and enjoy some smoooooth sippin'.

Hope all is well,

Cleveland Bob B)

jenvan Collaborator
Can't gop worng there...

Makers is "nummers"....

Yeah...speaking of which...what's in your cup? :P

Lillyth Explorer

Okay, NOW I'm confused.

I thought Whiskey was made out fo Rye!

Now I'm hearing it's gluten-free?

What gives?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

'Calvert's Extra' doesn't anyone drink it but me :blink:

I have looked and looked on web sites and can't find if's it's gluten-free. I have seen on sites that Segrams is gluten-free. now what about irish Mist?

Judy in philly

CarlaB Enthusiast
Okay, NOW I'm confused.

I thought Whiskey was made out fo Rye!

Now I'm hearing it's gluten-free?

What gives?

Apparently the distilllation process removes the gluten. I was happy to find out that Jack Daniels was gluten-free, but have not yet been brave enough to try it again.

jenvan Collaborator

Yes, if its a distilled alcohol it should be safe...but apparently there is a chance a manufacturer could add something in post-distilling containing gluten? Hence...I check before I drink.

Maker's was good--smooth... Enjoyed it!

Bromo Newbie
Jack Daniels. They say right on their website that they're gluten-free! Nothing like a good Jack and Coke! How's that for a ladylike drink? :lol: It was a happy day when I found out that my favorite alcoholic beverage was also gluten-free!

Today is my lucky day. I have been gluten free since March. I gave up my favorites Burbuon & Ginger. I never thought to check their website.

Thanks, made my day.

Bromo

Archived