This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Help Asap!

judy05

judy05 Apprentice

Hi,

I have been gluten free for almost 3 years now and have been feeling much better until the last 2 weeks.

We are remodeling a new house(new for us) and my activity level has increased. I have noticed increasing pain in my legs and joints, which came to a head yesterday with severe pain in my right knee to the point of not being to walk very well. I saw my MD today and all he could come up with is arthritis and gave me an Rx for Ultram which is not doing anything. My husband has some leftover Vicodin from a dental problem, which is making the pain go away, but I can't continue on this. I am unable to take any NSAIDS because of severe GERD ( Advil, Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc.) Knowing my history of food intolerances I suspect this is the problem. I have intolerances to wheat, dairy, garlic, egg whites, and corn. I have been recently been eating

a lot of eggs and drinking a lot of V8 smoothies which has high fructose corn syrup. I have been avoiding these for a day but the pain is still severe as ever. I read somewhere that HFCS (high glucose corn syrup) can cause severe joint pain, but I can't find it on google. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who can help me. In the past eggs and corn haven't bothered me which is why I was eating them. Do you think I was overdoing it or am I now doomed to have arthritis pain? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ebrbetty Rising Star

my brother gets severe cramping in his feet, so bad it brings tears to his eyes. he was told it could be hes dehydrated and needs more potassium, so he started drinking about 8 glasses of water a day and at least one banana, its only been a little over a week and he said its helping?

I guess it can't hurt to try it

tarnalberry Community Regular

I would definitely make sure to always avoid your intolerances, but with the house remodel, please look into seeing an orthopaedist, who can see if there is a joint problem. I'm guessing that your doc didn't take any x-rays or look into anything specific. You definitely shouldn't be dx'ed with arthritis without the bloodwork to show that you have it, or a referral to a rheumatologist to manage it.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I take MSM/glucosamine/chondroitin for joint pain. Whenever I run out, it comes back. Joint pain was the symptom that triggered my trying to figure out what my problem was, then I started losing a pound per week and really needed to figure out what was going on. I couldn't bend my left knee without pain. At first I thought it was a candida infection. Hmm, guess that would have been a little easier than this :(

judy05 Apprentice
I take MSM/glucosamine/chondroitin for joint pain. Whenever I run out, it comes back. Joint pain was the symptom that triggered my trying to figure out what my problem was, then I started losing a pound per week and really needed to figure out what was going on. I couldn't bend my left knee without pain. At first I thought it was a candida infection. Hmm, guess that would have been a little easier than this :(

Thanks to all who have responded to this, I will try all of your suggestions. Just wanted to let you know that I am feeling a little better today but it still hurts. It's hard to find foods to eat when you have so many intolerances. The York test said to try to eat these foods one by one every 4 days and that is what I did in the past, but being busier I slipped up and was eating one or two every day, except for wheat that is.Also we have been eating out a lot, but the restaurant is very careful for me and I haven't had a problem in the past.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi,

I have been gluten free for almost 3 years now and have been feeling much better until the last 2 weeks.

We are remodeling a new house(new for us) and my activity level has increased. I have noticed increasing pain in my legs and joints, which came to a head yesterday with severe pain in my right knee to the point of not being to walk very well. I saw my MD today and all he could come up with is arthritis and gave me an Rx for Ultram which is not doing anything. My husband has some leftover Vicodin from a dental problem, which is making the pain go away, but I can't continue on this. I am unable to take any NSAIDS because of severe GERD ( Advil, Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc.) Knowing my history of food intolerances I suspect this is the problem. I have intolerances to wheat, dairy, garlic, egg whites, and corn. I have been recently been eating

a lot of eggs and drinking a lot of V8 smoothies which has high fructose corn syrup. I have been avoiding these for a day but the pain is still severe as ever. I read somewhere that HFCS (high glucose corn syrup) can cause severe joint pain, but I can't find it on google. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who can help me. In the past eggs and corn haven't bothered me which is why I was eating them. Do you think I was overdoing it or am I now doomed to have arthritis pain? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Are you doing any drywall work? Drywall and mud (drywall compound for seams) are NOT gluten free. Try to avoid the dust if you are doing any of this it could be causeing your problem. Also for some of us the nightshade family can cause joint discomfort, eliminating potaotes, tomatoes and peppers helps for me.

judy05 Apprentice
Are you doing any drywall work? Drywall and mud (drywall compound for seams) are NOT gluten free. Try to avoid the dust if you are doing any of this it could be causeing your problem. Also for some of us the nightshade family can cause joint discomfort, eliminating potaotes, tomatoes and peppers helps for me.

Dear Ravenwoodglass,

I wish you could know how a felt when I read your answer, it was like a bolt of lightening. You have made my day. I have been working with drywall, sweeping up the floor after the painters finished a room. Everyday I have had to wash my hair because it was stiff with dust. I never knew this. May God bless you for letting me know. The drywall is just about finished and I will be vacuuming tomorrow but now I will take the necessary precautions. I know my MD will never believe this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Very interesting about the drywall!! We just moved into a house built in 1916 (finally, we bought it 5 years ago and have been renting it out till we could sell our other house!), anyway, we'll be doing a lot of renovation. I'll be sure to stay away when any drywall work is being done. Is plaster gluten free? I'm wondering if I need to be concerned with the plaster dust that's all over my house right now from tearing out the old bathroom (not original, but we're going to make it look that way now).

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh my--I just thought of something, too. Right around the time I got sick enough to quit my job, we had our basement finished! There was tons of drywall dust--and it got everywhere! I remember distinctly literaly falling over while painting some bookshelves down there while the dust was still all over the floor (and probably still in the air). M-m-m, it all comes together.....I never knew about the drywall, either!

judy05 Apprentice
Oh my--I just thought of something, too. Right around the time I got sick enough to quit my job, we had our basement finished! There was tons of drywall dust--and it got everywhere! I remember distinctly literaly falling over while painting some bookshelves down there while the dust was still all over the floor (and probably still in the air). M-m-m, it all comes together.....I never knew about the drywall, either!

I was wondering if anyone has any documentation about the problem with the drywall mud and dust. I can't figure out why it is affecting my legs and not my digestive system. I would like to read about it and also give something to my MD.

Archived