This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

lsmith2468

lsmith2468 Newbie

HI All!

I was diag about 2 months ago, and so far have been doing ok, I've sorta been following an Atkins thing figuring that carbs and wheat have a lot in common so if avoid them both I'll be okay, but I do miss bread. My question for all is this - why do the recipes seem to assume that if you're going wheat-free, you automatically want to go whole- hog healthnut? For instance, I found a bread online made with rice, and it's advertising is all about "all-natural, organic, honey, no preservatives" and so forth. I'm sorry, but I want bread that's regular old BREAD, gimme back my Wonder and my HomePrideButtertop, just take out the wheat??? Can it happen or am I stuck being "healthy" now? I don't really like the taste of any of the substitutes I've found so far, but I suspect it has more to do with the honey and such than the flour used, because I have very sensitive taste buds and I can tell it's the honey I'm tasting and not liking...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

Hi, welcome to the board! gluten-free flours do not act or taste like wheat flours, so we have to use other things in them to make them stick together and fluff up. Sadly, your tastebuds will just have to get used to other things. I miss my bread and cakes, but I have found that I can get used to the flavor and texture of gluten-free ones. It does take some adjusting to, but you can do it!

burdee Enthusiast

I learned I was gluten intolerant (described my celiac symptoms to a naturopath who said skip the tests, go gluten-free ASAP) 6 weeks ago. After previously learning how to control my weight with a nondiet approach (eat ONLY when hungry, foods which really satisfies you, and STOP eating when satisfied NOT stuffed), I wanted to avoid feeling deprived when I went gluten free. So I found gluten-free substitutes for my favorite types breads, pastries (esp. cookies and recipes for fruit breads) and hot cereals ASAP. I happen to LOVE dense, chewy breads and pastries, so I also love most heavy gluten-free breads and pastries (finding a heavy cereal was more challenging but cooked rice bran and quinoa flakes worked for me). However, in my search for suitable gluten-free breads I found many which were TOO light and fluffy for me (I HATE Wonderbread) through Ener-G foods (a local Seattle gluten-free retailer) which sells their products online.

If you're looking for low carb, but light, fluffy (Wonderbread) substitutes I would recommend Ener-G Foods': Light Brown Rice Bread, Light White Rice Bread, and Light Tapioca Bread. ALL of those are reduced carb if you're worried about carbs. (I just listen to my body cues, rather than count carbs, calories or fat grams, so low carb bread seems like an oxymoron to me!) Their top selling breads are White Rice Bread and Tapioca Bread (which I assume are also pretty close to Wonderbread to be top sellers). Also their Corn Loaf is low in calories, high in fiber and looks and feels just like Wonderbread to me. I have personally 'squished' the Light Brown Rice Bread and the Corn Loaf (too light for me ;) ) and given those away to my celiac friend who wants a Wonderbread type of bread. You can find Ener-G Foods online at www.ener-g.com or call them tollfree at 1-800-331-5222. However, I'm sure there must be other gluten-free bakeries/retailer who make Wonderbread types of gluten-free bread, since many celiacs want breads which look, feel and taste like white bread. Perhaps someone else will post info about their favorite local gluten-free bread retailer. :)

If you're interested in gluten-free pasta that stays 'al dente' when cooked, I like 'Tinkyada' brand, but I heard at my local GIG meeting this week that the "Lundverd" brand and the Westbrae Corn Pasta stays 'al dente' even with reheating the next day as leftovers.

There are SOOO many online gluten-free retailers, which may be located near you or distribute their products to your local stores. Two websites which list sources for gluten free foods are: www.glutensolutions.com and www.gluten free.com. If you like to bake, there are many gluten-free cookbooks with bread recipes. Our local celebrity Bette Hagman has written some great bread recipe cookbooks. I also have gluten-free cookbooks by Karen Robertson and Connie Sarros. You can check www.amazon .com for all those books.

What helped me stay positive and motivated to go gluten free (besides eliminating my excruciatingly painful reactions to gluten) was thinking 'substitution' rather than 'deprivation'. So if you find a gluten-free product you don't like, ask around or try again. There's probably one more suited to your tastes. Or you can always send me the dense, cardboard chewy gluten-free breads you don't want!! :lol:

KAthyB Newbie

If you do without long enough you may be more tolerant of the new taste and texture of the gluten-free products. I did this with my daughter who refused all the gluten-free substitutes and stuck to meat, fruit, veges and dairy and after 3 months she is coming around and trying breads and other baked goods. I get what you mean about the "health food" thing and it is frustrating.

Kathy

Donna F Enthusiast

he he, I know EXACTLY what you mean! I've gotten lots of gluten-free foods online and in specialty stores and it's not just gluten-free, they make it diary-free, egg-free, cassein-free....it makes you wonder what IS in it!!!

I'm with you. I like the good 'ol wonderbread type. I just found something that at least TASTES like it - but still a little dense. It's the white bread from Kinnikinnick Foods. I also got hamburger and hotdog rolls (haven't tried them yet).

-donna

Archived