This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Premenstrual Issues....

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hey girls.....

I am doing SO much better, mentally and emotionally on gluten-free diet - it's been a true blessing for me and answer to prayer. BUT....in the four or five days before my period, I am psychotic!! Even today (it should be arriving today or tomorrow), I have had terrible, terrible thoughts....like before. It's very dark and bad and crazy...despondent and depressed and there were even some suicidal thoughts, too. :(

Do you all take anything for this that's worked? I've tried different things but nothing helped (that was before being gluten-free).

I don't even know what to do with myself today. Ever have a day when you just don't even WANT to be with yourself, and, well, you're stuck?

I'm trapped in the house shampooing the carpets today.....can't leave until it's done....will walk dogs later but it is 95 degrees and very humid today....ugh.

Thanks in advance for any answers or help...I've been praying all morning but this dark cloud stays with me. I hate being this sad. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast
Hey girls.....

I am doing SO much better, mentally and emotionally on gluten-free diet - it's been a true blessing for me and answer to prayer. BUT....in the four or five days before my period, I am psychotic!! Even today (it should be arriving today or tomorrow), I have had terrible, terrible thoughts....like before. It's very dark and bad and crazy...despondent and depressed and there were even some suicidal thoughts, too. :(

Do you all take anything for this that's worked? I've tried different things but nothing helped (that was before being gluten-free).

I don't even know what to do with myself today. Ever have a day when you just don't even WANT to be with yourself, and, well, you're stuck?

I'm trapped in the house shampooing the carpets today.....can't leave until it's done....will walk dogs later but it is 95 degrees and very humid today....ugh.

Thanks in advance for any answers or help...I've been praying all morning but this dark cloud stays with me. I hate being this sad. :(

I noticed that for me my diet really affects the outcome of my PMS. If I happen to have more sugar than usual, chocolate, or even full fat dairy leading up to that point then it makes my symptoms worse. I also notice if my blood sugar is in check, like I make sure every meal (snacks too) is well balanced with protein and a small amount of carbs I have smoother sailing. Of course every body is different.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Thanks Julie, good to know! The sugar adds up...a bowl of Gorilla Munch here, half a bag of M&M's, the vanilla creamer in my coffee.....I will watch that the week before. Actually, all the time, am going to cut way down.

Since the blessed arrival was yesterday, I am SO much better today....it was a tough one this time, though, a really bad four days....felt like an eternity. I'm going to work on getting more exercise and (per GI's recommendation) taking calcium now and B supplement.

:)

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Hey girls.....

I gotta be honest, I really think you should maybe talk to a professional about that. I mean I certainly get b$tchy and find that I can tend to be in a pretty pissy mood when I have PMS.. but never to the point of suicidal thoughts.

Maybe someone else has some better advice, but this doesn't sound like normal PMS to me.

Ashley Enthusiast

Normally, I take a Midol, drink a bottle of water, eat some cold, cool grapes and just try to do something calming. Have you ever taken anything for depression? I'm taking Zoloft (gluten-free, 'course) and helps me, and, if I forget to take it for a couple of days in a row, I begin to notice the depression kick back up, so, for me it works really well.

Hope to see those bad thoughts go away, I absolutely know how that one feels :(

-Ash

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Jillian and Ash, it is definitely NOT normal. Professionals have dismissed me in the past.....I do take Effexor, which has helped me enormously but was on such a low dose (taking it every three days)....I have talked to my doctor (he is almost completely ineffectual, only useful as a medicine dispensor) and am going to increase the two weeks before my period.

Suicidal thoughts during the four to five days before are pretty severe for PMS, are they not? But, I've always been that way and thought it WAS normal. I hate it!!

Green12 Enthusiast
Hey girls.....

Whoa! I totally missed the part about your suicidal thoughts, my reply must have seemed trivial about watching your sugar intake, so sorry. I agree that that sounds a little more serious and maybe you should take a closer look at that with another doctor if your present one is dismissing these symptoms.

Good luck to you :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ashley Enthusiast

Yes, I would take Juillian's advice as well, I've never really had sudical thoughts, but, I've had extreme depression. Hopefully you'll find a doctor that actually is there for more than giving 'scripts.

Let us know how things go!

qwertyui Rookie

I would definitely see a doctor about the dark bad thoughts. I have wild mood swings, etc., and I found taking Evening Primrose Oil really helped me. My friend who is a nurse told me about them, I tried them, and it seemed to take the edge off. Something to think about! Also - sugar isn't good for you at that time of the month - or any time really!

CarlaB Enthusiast

I taught natural family planning for 7 years and worked with all aspects of women's cycles. First, I agree that suicidal thoughts are not normal and you should talk with a doc about them. There are things you can do dietarily to help with PMS. Lots of times it's associated with a luteal phase deficiency, which is the time from ovulation till the first day of menstuation. It's important that you get enough vitamins, particularly B6 and magnesium. I wouldn't supplement B6 by itself, rather in a B complex ... it can be too hard on the nervous system. I would take a magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement in addition to your multiple vitamin. I would buy the one with the most magnesium. Also, as someone else mentioned, Oil of Evening Primrose, all month, not just during PMS. Since celiacs have a problem with elimating too much fat anyway, I would have a hunch you have low essential fatty acids. Since the female hormones are fat soluble, this can cause problems.

If that doesn't work, you can try using natural progesterone cream, not wild yam (it can have wild yam, but it also needs progesterone, wild yam does not work on its own). Start using it halfway through your cycle and stop the first day of menstruation.

In fact, since your symptoms are so severe, maybe you should use the cream from the beginning.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Thanks gals....

Carla, is progesterone cream a prescription cream? I'll ask my other doctor....and I'll definitely try the evening primrose....

Not EVERY month is psychotic PMS, but at least half of them are....thanks for the info. I'll keep working on it!

CarlaB Enthusiast

No, progesterone cream can be found at Wild Oats, Whole Foods, or other health food stores. I like the kind that has automatically measured pumps. I trust them to have adequate progesterone levels.

gabrielle Contributor
Hey girls.....

Sounds kind of like PMDD. Have you ever been tested for that? Maybe you should bring that up to your doctor. I've never had suicidal thoughts on my period, but I do get very and I mean VERY moody- I snip at everyone, I cry ugh- emotional rollercoaster! I would mention PMDD to a doctor though- also I am a big COSMO magazine girl and in this month's issue it talks about PMS and periods in the health section it says:

To control mood swings have calcium "Research shows that women who consume 1,200 milligrams of calcium a day all month have fewer menstruation related mood swings that do those who do not get enough calcium....Calcium deficiency makes hormone flucuations worse- so getting enough of this mineral keeps hormones steady and seretonin high." It also says, "Consume several small meals each day during your pre-period week. A steady intake of food high in complex carbs helps keep blood sugar high, so you are less affected by the hormone-induced irritability."

I don't know if that helps at all, but good luck and try to stay positive.

plantime Contributor

Before doing anything else, I recommend that you see your gynocologist. You have identified this as a menstrual-related problem, and that is your gyno's specialty.

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

I feel the same exact way that Gabrielle mentioned.

Im so crazy up to and including the day I get it.

Im get so moody, irritable, sensitive and depressed!!!!! Its horrible!!!! Its like turning into a witch. Plus I turn into a huge cravings binger!!! What monster cravings and appetite. Yuck, I always put on 5-10 lbs as a result.

I usually (unfortuantely for him) turn on my fiance, lash out at him. Hes such an easy target (as are most men). Sometimes he forgets Im PMSing and makes the mistake of saying something stupid or obnoxious. Or he just gets on my damn nerves! Everything he says and does bothers me. As a matter of fact, this past PMSing week, Ive even thought of breaking up....of giving back the ring and moving out!!! Really he IS a GREAT guy and I love him, but during that time......oh boy....

Im also on an emotional rollercoaster. I tried coming off my anti-depressants and was not very successful. I felt really miserable and Ive been on them for 7 years---since the time I was diagnosed at 26, with celiac disease. I started to have the same anxieties I had before the pill. So, as per doctors advice...I resumed taking them: Prozac and Wellbutrin. In my opinion, my problems are due to stress, AND hormones AND definitely celiac disease. There are some things that go along with having celiac disease....not just food issues, but depression, fatigue, loss of concentration, etc. Im also a 4th grade city school teacher, which has a huge effect on my emotional and physical well-being too.

Anyway, my purpose in telling all this is to say----I know what PMS feels like!!! I can sympathize. As a kind, female also with Celiac, I was upset to read that you have suicidal thoughts.

Ive never experienced having suicidal thoughts----not while depressed or during PMS. Yes----Ive been so depressed at times that I just stayed in bed under the covers, weak, tired and sad, and feeling doomed (like there was a dark cloud over me). I've had frequent sad thoughts about losing loved ones. But never, do I, or did I, think about wanting to end my life.

This is a more serious issue. I think you need to speak to a therapist about it.

Do you have a support system? If not, maybe join a group for therapy. It may help.

Please get yourself some help on those suicidal thoughts. Can you let us know how your doing? Dont forget to write back.....

Good luck and best wishes,

erica

Archived