• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
discountshopper

Internal Itching Anyone?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced internal itching as a symptom of glutening (or other strange disease)? I have been gluten-free since November and think I probably got some gluten about 4 days ago. Yesterday I started getting some very strange internal itching sensations on the right side of my torso, basically the line of the liver and ascending colon. There is no rash or skin issues, just a need to "scratch by rubbing" the itch that is inside. There do not seem to be any sore spots involved, just itchiness. I have had years of issues with internally itchy feet and hands which has subsided for the most part since going gluten-free. This internal torso itching is not constant, but comes and goes throughout the day. It has been going on for a day and a half so far and has not increased in intensity. Anyone experienced this?

Thanks,

Linda

Celiac, gluten-free since 11/05

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

oh man I totally get that, but I thought it was just me. Some times my stomach itches, its weird but I know what you are talking about!

Sometimes I get a terrible itch in my throat, and yes, inside the torso as well. It's maddening when it happens.

Wow. This is the first I've ever heard of people having this same problem. I get that when I ingest something I have some sort of allergy towards. It's happened with a certain protein powder in the past and with some other things. I feel like there's this itch inside your esophagus that you JUST can't get to...you try and try to like clear your throat or itch your chest/throat, but nothing works.

Glad to see I'm not alone. :-)

Ads by Google:

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced internal itching as a symptom of glutening (or other strange disease)? I have been gluten-free since November and think I probably got some gluten about 4 days ago. Yesterday I started getting some very strange internal itching sensations on the right side of my torso, basically the line of the liver and ascending colon. There is no rash or skin issues, just a need to "scratch by rubbing" the itch that is inside. There do not seem to be any sore spots involved, just itchiness. I have had years of issues with internally itchy feet and hands which has subsided for the most part since going gluten-free. This internal torso itching is not constant, but comes and goes throughout the day. It has been going on for a day and a half so far and has not increased in intensity. Anyone experienced this?

Thanks,

Linda

When I first gave up wheat in 1995 it was because of internal itching ALL OVER. It was terrible. I thought I would go crazy. It went away in a week after giving up wheat. I stupidly went back to eating but never had as severe issues with internal itching.

I've had problems with internally itchy ears. I know it if because of allergies though. Have also had it deep in the tissues of my toes and fingers...it coincided with a sudden drop in temperature last summer, so I had chalked it up to maybe being raynauds...likely tied to seasonal allergies.

Wouldn't be surprised if it happens elsewhere in the body too!

Michelle

Ive had the inner ears and my upper mouth (pallet) itch like crazy. I hate when it happens.

Oh and sometimes the bottom of my feet. But I think that has to do with my neuropathy.

I used to get sever itching on the muscle just above my knee, it was so bad that I wore a hole in two pairs of jeans scratching it.

Thankfully it went away when I started on a gluten-free diet.

The first doctor I told said it was a build up of lactic acid and I should make sure that I stretched and warmed down properly after excercise. But I still excercise without proper strectching and the itching has never returned!

Ads by Google:

I used to get a really itchy tip of my nose! It would drive me mad! Sometimes it would just come on out of nowhere, I mean even when I hadn't eaten anything for ages. I have had it occasionally since but rarely. I got it a couple weeks ago - I hadn't eaten anything for at least 3 hours so what the heck triggered it I haven't a clue. Weird.

I've had that itching in the roof of the mouth and in the hands and feet too. I used to get it in the balls of my feet and it would drive me so mad I'd want to dig something into it! That went away quite a while before going gluten-free and I never knew what caused it or why it went!

I did get restless legs virtually every night and itching in other areas of my feet like the heels (so bad my husband and I have separate rooms - between my thrashing and his snoring we were keeping each other awake all night!). I realised when I looked at a Reflexology chart that those areas equated with the colon and the RLS was linked to that too. I had a bad stomach one night and my legs were thrashing about in the bed like something possessed! Around 5am I had to 'evacuate'. I went back to bed and slept like a baby for what was left of the night. I slept and so did my legs.

Since going gluten-free, apart from when I have been affected by something, either gluten or some other something that has disagreed, not only has the itching gone, so has the RLS. Bliss. (PS. My husband joined me on gluten-free and he no longer snores to wake the dead!)

Hi, I just experienced the internal ichy stomache when I tried to do the candidia diet but assumed it was from getting rid of the toxins but also started a digestive pill @ same time so now I'm wondering about which caused it. Need to do the diet again but since haven't been on gluten-free/cf diet very long found it very hard!!

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced internal itching as a symptom of glutening (or other strange disease)?

Sometimes I itch like crazy all over! I scratch so hard I can make myself bleed. Gross, Gross, Gross,. I try to take something to make me sleepy, and then go to bed so I'll stop! (most always happens at night )

Hi all,

Thanks,

Linda

Hi! I don't know if you're still there, since this post was sent many years ago, but I found it while looking at what my issue is. I have the exact same internal itch on the right side of my stomac, around the liver are, that just few weeks ago started to be on the left side too. I don't have pain, just this intollerable itch and a lot of nausea that comes with it. I was wondering if after all those years you found out what was causing yours, so maybe you'll be able to help me. Please, please.... I can't go on like this no more!! Thank you so much.

Doya

Hi! I don't know if you're still there, since this post was sent many years ago, but I found it while looking at what my issue is. I have the exact same internal itch on the right side of my stomac, around the liver are, that just few weeks ago started to be on the left side too. I don't have pain, just this intollerable itch and a lot of nausea that comes with it. I was wondering if after all those years you found out what was causing yours, so maybe you'll be able to help me. Please, please.... I can't go on like this no more!! Thank you so much.

Doya

Sorry but the OP hasn't been here in 7 years.

The member Doya who posted last has started a new thread.  I will go ahead and end this thread for being dated.

Colleen