This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Wellbutrin gluten-free?

bearodilla

bearodilla Rookie

I have started Wellbutrin a month ago and i haven't felt so nausieted since i was on gluten. Does anybody know if it is safe for us?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

terps19 Contributor

I felt nausea quite often in the begining stages of wellbutrin. It subsided dramatically when I switched to the brand name and not the crappy generic. I do beleive the brand name wellbutrin is gluten-free, not sure about generic. I do know the SR and XL can make you experience nausea in teh begining month or so. After you get over that initial stage I felt much better.

Guhlia Rising Star

I was on Wellbutrin shortly after being diagnosed w/ Celiac. I ended up having to call the manufacturer and they gave me a CYA statement about not adding any gluten to the product, but it was not tested. I would say, based on their response, that it is gluten free. I never had any problems with it. My doctor and pharmacist both agreed with me that, based on their response, it is gluten free.

• 2 years later...
Siga Newbie

I tried generic Wellbutrin - Bupropion SR 150mg - white tablets with black letters "WPI 839" on them. I started to feel really sick soon after started taking them - nausia, headaches, numbness in different parts of my head. So I stopped for a while, but I couldn't believe it was bupropion that was causing it, since I had taken real Wellbutrin a few years ago with no side effects whatsover. I tried twice more to resume taking my bupropion, but kept getting the same bad reaction.

I don't think it's gluten that was causing it, because I was not on gluten free diet. I must be something else.

Unfortunately the generic bupropion that I tried to take this spring might be what started my current health problems with gait, extreme brain fogginess, heavy head, recurring numbness in my head.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Are you taking the generic or the brand? As far as I know - both are gluten-free. But - - PLEASE be careful if it's generic Wellbutrin - - - many people have had TERRIBLE experiences on me (including myself) and - - I was told that this month's Oprah has an article, in fact, about this very thing.....

Siga Newbie

Well I am not taking any now. Luckily I do not have any problems with depression at the moment.

I had taken brand Wellbutrin about 8-9 years ago and it worked fine for me. Last spring though when I was having some stress related emotional problems I tried generic, and for some reason I felt like I was poisoning myself.

It would be interesting to read about bad experiences some other people had with generic Bupropion, because I tried to research this online, but I could not find anything.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Are you taking the generic or the brand? As far as I know - both are gluten-free. But - - PLEASE be careful if it's generic Wellbutrin - - - many people have had TERRIBLE experiences on me (including myself) and - - I was told that this month's Oprah has an article, in fact, about this very thing.....

Thanks Susie.

Will have to ck it at CVS to see if it is worth getting the magazine to read the article. Was it brand vs generic meds in general or this drug? Maybe you don't know.

I remember when comparing brand/generic that many pharmacy's use different suppliers.

My pharmacist called both company's they used and both were gluten-free/df/s/f. I chose the brand. Of course more expensive but just wanted to give it the best shot. Judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Bupropion (generic Welbutrin)has been linked to seizures in about four out of a thousand patients who were given up to 450 mg/day. Other possible side effects include: anxiety, headache, hyperactive sweating, constipation, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, dry mouth and blurred vision. Other side effects that are less common but more serious include: palpitations, unusual weight loss or gain, agitation, slowed movements, trouble sleeping, tremor, dizziness, fainting, mood changes, difficulty urinating, drowsiness, decreased sex drive, seizures, mental problems, fever, muscle aches, yellowing of the eyes or skin. Allergic reactions to this drug may show the following symptoms: trouble breathing, rash, itching, swelling, or severe dizziness. "

I have no personal experience with antidepressants, but a friend of mine was put on Welbutrin when she went to the doctor complaining of being tired. She gained 20 pounds in just a few weeks (which she didn't need), and was very nauseated, but the doctor told her that she had a virus. She didnt' even know that he had given her an antidepressant, she thought it was something to make her well. She never felt like she was depressed, just tired. It turned out, she had autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's).

The nausea and extra weight went away as soon as she stopped taking the Welbutrin.

If you feel you need an antidepressant, that's fine. Some people do really well on temporary antidepressants. But do be aware that doctors are prescribing them even when the patient is not depressed. ( I'm not sure why. :blink: )

melrobsings Contributor

I have been on wellbuterin for years and LOVE IT. I only get sick feeling if I don't have enough or no food in my tummy. I don't have one bad thing to say other than I became a 2 drink DRUNK! So be careful!

Siga Newbie

I still have not read Oprah magazine, but I found this website with MANY bad experiences on generic bupropion: http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/archives/ph...trin.php?page=9

What on earth they have put into that pill that made me so sick?! :angry:

I think I am going to send the leftover pills to Graedon's.

• 3 years later...
BrianV Newbie

I'm very new, having been diagnosed just two weeks ago. I take the generic bupropion, and have suffered dizzy spells, nausea, and today at work I was overcome by a strong sense of fatigue. In the first week, I've felt sick several times, but I was uncertain if I messed up and ingested some gluten, but I stopped taking my buproprion for a few days, and felt better. Today, and yesterday I started up again, and sure enough, I'm feeling terrible. Reading this thread has been very helpful, and I just wanted to thank you guys! This site is a great resource!

kareng Grand Master

I'm very new, having been diagnosed just two weeks ago. I take the generic bupropion, and have suffered dizzy spells, nausea, and today at work I was overcome by a strong sense of fatigue. In the first week, I've felt sick several times, but I was uncertain if I messed up and ingested some gluten, but I stopped taking my buproprion for a few days, and felt better. Today, and yesterday I started up again, and sure enough, I'm feeling terrible. Reading this thread has been very helpful, and I just wanted to thank you guys! This site is a great resource!

This info is over 3 years old. Products change. You should call the manufacturer of your medication if you want to find out gluten currently in the medication.

BrianV Newbie

This info is over 3 years old. Products change. You should call the manufacturer of your medication if you want to find out gluten currently in the medication.

Ha, do I feel like a fool! I didn't even check the dates of this thread.... oops! yeah, I'll place a call, and post my findings here, in case anybody else comes across this, and like me, is too much of a noob to check the dates. haha.

Thanks!

kareng Grand Master

Ha, do I feel like a fool! I didn't even check the dates of this thread.... oops! yeah, I'll place a call, and post my findings here, in case anybody else comes across this, and like me, is too much of a noob to check the dates. haha.

Thanks!

That would be great!

You are not the first, nor will you be the last, to miss the dates on old posts. :D

• 6 years later...
Heidi Sue Newbie

I see this thread is very old however, it is helpful.  I have been on Wellbutrin for over 20 years and diagnosed with celiac 14 years ago.  I am currently experiencing bloating and terribly uncomfortable gas. I truly believe it is from my the medication as it started when I began taking this months refill. This is the second time I have had issues with this medication (after being given the generic and not name brand), which is pretty good since it has been so many years. Yet, after reading this discussion I am definitely requesting that I get the name brand to see if the symptoms subside.

• 2 years later...
Donna Warren Newbie

🤢 My doctor started me on BUPROPION 150mg and I have been taking it 1 week now. The bad taste of cinnamon and rotten chicken is from this med.  I'm having NAUSEA, HEADACHES and feel like I'm going to Die!  This is a Really Bad medicine!

Scott Adams Grand Master

You should definitely discuss your negative side-effects to Bupropion with your doctor, as there are likely alternatives that won't have those side-effects.