This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Irish Heritage And Celiac's

Queen Serenity

Corrine Rookie

I'm English, Irish, Scottish, and one gggrandmother who was French. My husband is pretty much all Scottish.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mytummyhurts Contributor

I am best described as British since I have English, Welsh, Scots & Irish ancestors.

I understand from  the 'Medicine & Me; Coeliac Disease ' Conference at Royal Society of Medicine, London,  (compact disc available) that coeliac disease is in fact NOT more common in Ireland than any other area.

I guess they are just better at diagnosing it there!

Open Original Shared Link

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everything I have ever read about celiac disease and nationalities has said it is most prevalent among the Irish population. But since the doctors in Ireland are more aware of celiac disease it follows it is going to be diagnosed there more often than in countries where the doctors don't know too much about it. No one really can say what the exact numbers are, but I do think as more light is shed on it celiac disease will be much more common in all countries. However, my daughter blames me ALL the time for her being a celiac because I am Irish!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they are better at diagnosing it because more people have it? You know, like what came first, the chicken or the egg?

And, a lot of people on this board have some Irish in them. Is that coincedence? Or is it just because a lot of Americans have some Irish in their background. So is it just illusory correlation (the preception of a relationship where none exists)? I got to use a big word I learned in Pyschology! :lol:

PicturePerfect Explorer

I am half Irish on my dad's side, but on the side that I actually got the Celiac Genes from, I am about 15%.

AnnieMarie Apprentice

Hello,

My dad was born in England, my mom was born in Ireland.

I am first generation American.

I have asked my mom to get tested. She has has stomach and bowel issues for years. I suspect she has some gluten isseus. I believe that is where my son and I got it from.

Ironically her doctor is from Ireland and just went there for a visit. You think he might have suspected gluten as a possibility, he has had her tested for just about everythimg else.

Annie

debmidge Rising Star

To those who say they are Pennsylvania Dutch, is that the same as Amish?

to those who are Scotch or Irish; is Getty an Irish or a Scottish last name?

Guest zipy

I was an O'Reilly before marriage and am at least 50%, but there's no correlation between Irish heritage and the disease, huh? However, the last thing I read said that it was more prevelant among people with a European heritage....is that correct?

watkinson Apprentice

Irish and English on my mom's side. It's her side that I think the disease comes from.

On my dad's side... Irish, English, and Welsh (therefore British) plus a great grandmother who was french.

Blue, green eyes and blond hair.

My daughter (who is also a celiac) also has blue eyes and blond hair.

Hmmmm....very interesting! <_<:D

Wendy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
zakismom Newbie

Lots of Irish and Italian. Also, a little German and English thrown in. I'm the only one diagnosed so far but I'm sure there are more!

I find it continuously amusing that it took me getting on a healthy diet to get really sick.
I had a similar experience. The "healthier" I ate the sicker I became.
emeraldskies Rookie

I'm half Irish and half German. My grandmother, from the German side, is the only other family member who has been diagnosed.

I had a similar experience.  The "healthier" I ate the sicker I became.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here. I followed the food pyramid religiously. And a lot of "healthier" foods have more binders, like in Lay's chips.

nogluten- Newbie

I'm a Swedish,Irish,French and American Indian mutt.

Joan L. Hawkins Newbie

I'm Irish 1/2, German, English. It runs in families, but I never gave thought to it being a total Irish thing.

The DAN doctor told me it is related to European's. But it is becoming a Big thing here in America. 1-133 people.

Here in America were a mixer, they should call us Mix-amer-ican. :D

Asia are having problems with RICE. :D

I'm a nurse and never heard of Celiac's until my son was dianoised with it at age 9 1st in the family that I know of. I was told he had ADHD until testing related he had alergies 100% to WHEAT.

Modern doctors here in Tucson, Az. do'nt even know what I'm talking about when I mention Celiac Disease.

Another World ;) Lot's of People have it and don't know it. It can be related to depression, mental disorder, physical problem and dieases of all kinds, etc. :unsure:

Joan

redheadheather Explorer
I am curious to know how Celiac's is related, in the majority, to people of an Irish background.  Everyone I have spoken too, who have the disease, have some Irish background.  I just want to know if there is a connection.  If you have no Irish background, please let me know what nationalities you are.  Thanks in advance, if you choose to take the survey. 

Vicki  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep - strong Irish background, as well as English, Scottish, and German.

NOt sure about DH's background other than German

SandraNinTO Rookie

I have 2 Scottish parents and there are 7 of us in the family. My husband (who is not thought to be celiac) has a nephew with celiac and he has parents of English/Ukrainian & Italian descent.

thomas3000 Rookie

Everybody with northeastern european heritage is gluten intolerant to a certain degree. There is a whole subset that don't have celiac disease but are gluten intolerant. We simply haven't adapted to the Standard American Diet. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of people suffer from gluten related illness.

judy05 Apprentice
Everybody with northeastern european heritage is gluten intolerant to a certain degree.  There is a whole subset that don't have celiac disease but are gluten intolerant.  We simply haven't adapted to the Standard American Diet.  Hundreds of thousands if not millions of people suffer from gluten related illness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To the question about the Pennsylvania Dutch, we are not necessarily Amish or Mennonite although some are. My ancestors were German who came here in the early 1800's to escape religious persecution. Some Amish were from Switzerland and Germany and have strict religious beliefs. In school whenever we had to tell our nationalities my Grandma used to say, tell them you are "Pennsylvania Dutch"!

Soaring Aurora Newbie

Yeah, very interesting. I haven't been diagnosed, but the gluten-free diet has changed me significantly and I feel LOADS better. I'm a mutt as well. Mostly Irish and English, with some French, German/Ukranian, and possible Dutch and Native American. Looks like I'm screwed lol. I actually think I got this from my mom (her father's 100% irish and her mother's the English, German/Ukranian w/ some possible Irish)...but she won't get tested!!! She says she can't see the good in it! Any ideas for THAT? lol

-Shelby

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Hmmm...after reading all the posts I'm thinking maybe I don't belong here! <_<

My dad is Mexican and my mom is Spanish/Italian...never heard of any Irish being in my family tree...but I never really looked into it either.

mytummyhurts Contributor

Rachel - Celiac is more common in Italians than Irish.

I got this off another website.

Celiac disease is the most common genetic disease in Europe. In Italy about 1 in 250 people and in Ireland about 1 in 300 people have celiac disease. It is rarely diagnosed in African, Chinese, and Japanese people
Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel - Celiac is more common in Italians than Irish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woah....where are all the other Italians on this board??? I kept looking for Spanish, Italian or Mexican...but everyone's Irish! <_<

Well...that just seals the deal cuz I already told my mom she is responsible for this! :P Both of my parents have thyroid problems so I don't know who to blame for that...I was just doomed. Maybe I should be blaming myself cuz if I had never been such a stress-case I probably wouldn't have "triggered" these genes. :(

mytummyhurts Contributor

Maybe it's just because no one has started a "who's Italian?" post. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Maybe it's just because no one has started a "who's Italian?" post.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL....Oh yeah...I guess I missed the title! DUH :)

• 1 month later...
debbiewil Rookie

Saw the title and couldn't resist joining in. Yup. my mother's 100% Irish. My dad's a mix, but it"s Mom's family that has the history - Diabetes, colon cancer, stomach cancer, Addison's disease, asthma, allergies, thyroid - right down the list of everything caused by or associated with celiac and gluten!

Debbie

• 4 weeks later...
WRowland Newbie

I'm DQ8 and Irish/Scottish/English/Dutch.

My husband is DQ2 and Irish/Polish.

WRowland Newbie

There's also a joke around the forums about going to conferences-how will I recognize you when I see you-I'm the one with red hair-and everyone has red hair.

This gene family is very high in Irish, Italian, and Scandinavian populations, but European in general.

dogear Rookie

I don't know about the idea that Europeans are more genetically vulnerable. Could it just be that you are talking about populatoins that eat a lot of wheat?

I understand that it is really common in a lot of North African populations. And I mean around 5%, of all people in some parts of North Africa have it. One suggested reason is another gene that is totally unrelated the the HQ's we talk about. Another is that everything in their diet is bread and coscous. They even eat soups with wheat berries and meat!!

Archived