This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Moments

Kaycee

Kaycee Collaborator

On a lighter note has anybody done anything a big weird lately?

Here is my story, one of them at least.

Last night, just on dusk, while cooking tea, our power went off. I won't mention the neighbours on three sides still had lights, but quite a few of us had no power.

I do wear glasses, but I had to take them off to read the phone book. That is probably weird in its self. So I got the phone book looked up the power co. and rang them to be told they are onto the power situation.

All cool there, but then I went to look for my glasses, as I need them to see things a bit further away than my nose, but I could not find them. So in the dark, with torches, with candles me and two big sons were searching high and low, hoping not to hear the crunch of broken glass, (but they are plastic lenses).

Half an hour later still searching, husband arrives home, to a dark house, thinking I might have run off again, to clear my head, so there is now four of us on the case of missing specs.

At this part of the story, (I am now beginning to believe I do my best thinking in the bathroom), as the thought struck me while their, that they could be in the oven! Sounds strange and stupid, but I had put a couple of things away in the oven, straight after ringing the power co. So without thinking, I yell out look in the oven, and they did, and there they were.

I now wish I had kept quiet about the oven, and went and looked in it discreetly, as now when I ask where something is, they tell me to look in the oven!

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

No, I've never done anything stupid in my whole life. :lol::D:lol::D I hope you heard the sarcastic tone!

dlp252 Apprentice

Oh gosh, too many times I'm afraid. :) Here are a few:

There was the time I was out for a walk and ran into a fire hydrant. There wasn't anyone around me, and I saw the thing coming, but I think I was just too lazy to get out of the way...I gave it a feeble attempt but the darned hydrant got me smack on the knee. :ph34r:

Then there was the time about a month ago when I was backing out of my parking space and plowed right into my neighbors car. He was legally parked, I was a moron. :ph34r:

I've put the milk away in the cupboard and the crackers in the fridge (before gluten/casein free).

To this day I have yet to find a ring that I put in a safe place, oh, about 30 years ago. :ph34r:

jerseyangel Proficient

Well while we're on the subject of stupidity, just off the top of my head a week or so ago, I was at the grocery store in the checkout line. I was fumbling in my purse for my keys and sunglasses--could not find the sunglasses. Fumbled in the purse a few more times, looked in cart, by this time I'm in the car. I figured I lost them--I get home and realize that they're hanging on my shirt! Literally, right in front of my nose. :ph34r: These kinds of things happen to me a lot :huh:

jennyj Collaborator

I was an extremely shy, akward, 14 year old. I had just moved with my parents from Texas to New Mexico.

I was out riding my bike when I noticed something in front of me. It was my 17 year old HOT neighbor. I guess I was to busy watching him bent over in his blue jean cut offs washing his car to notice the phone pole in front of me. Needless to say I plowed into the pole knocking myself to the ground and the breath out of me. He came running over to me and asked if I was ok. I could only manage an.. ahh, ahh. He picked me up and my bike and took me home. :o

elonwy Enthusiast

Yesterday morning ex is rummagimg through the fridge looking for cream cheese he put away yesterday. Ten minutes later I open the freezer to find it, frozen solid.

-E

Lisa Mentor

As Chair, at a public meeting, I hit the gavel and called the meeting adjourned....I was OPENING UP THE MEETING. I am surprized that everyone did not get up and go home before it even started. All my fellow commissioners laughed at me after the meeting. I had no clue.

And I forget things all the time. My house looks like a post-it ad.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

I have way too many "duh" moments.

The most hilarious and most embarassing one I can remember happened when I was about 8. I had a friend that was African American (from Zaire) and we were talking one day while waiting to get into the public pool, I had overheard the people in front of me talking about how hot it was and how they try to wear light colored clothing and all to combat it.

Thinking about how I had heard that black clothes "absorb heat" and white clothes reflect it, I asked my friend "do black people get hotter in the summer than white people do?"

she looked at me like I was crazy, and I guess I looked confused because she laughed and said

"you know I don't remember the last time I was white in the summer time, so I can't say"

I guess I should have realized that since I had no way of knowing, neither did she........... :lol:

we still laugh about it.

tarnalberry Community Regular

oh yes, I do stupid things all the time. metal pot in the microwave, candy in the pockets in the dryer, glasses left on in the shower... cutting myself with my own fingernails or repeatedly hurting the same boo-boo are the ones I hate the most.

Mango04 Enthusiast

A few months ago I got this large bowl of piping hot soup from Whole Foods. I got it to go and when I got in my car I put the soup on the console thing between the two front seats. Somehow, I managed to turn around, and knock the entire thing of soup towards me. :huh: I was covered with soup and it was all over my car. It was tomato based tortilla soup with mushy corn chips in it. This was during my lunch hour, and I only had a few minutes before I had to get back to work. The soup was so hot I almost undressed in the parking lot LOL. Good thing I was wearing all black. I managed to clean enough of the soup out of my pants and shirt, and then put on a big jacket over my clothing and went back to work. haha. That whole story is just like one big moment of stupidity.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I have more stupid moments than I can possibly remember, but there are 2 that stick out the most in my mind.

My family will never let me forget the year I ruined my sisters birthday. They had gotten her a Carvel cake and told me to put it in the upstairs freezer for the next day. (We had 2 kitchens in the house because my grandma lived with us till she passed away and when my dad had the house built he basically built her, her own apartment). Anywhoo, so I put the cake in the freezer. Or atleast I thought I did. Needless to say there was a very sad 8 year old when her cake was completely melted when I took her cake out of the refrigerator.

The 2nd is still a constant joke between me and my best friend. We met in college and instantly became inseprable. I wasn't the messiest person in college but I also wasn't a neat freak. My roomate however was a total neat freak so I would try and do my best not to be to messy. Well one day I spent several hours cleaning the whole suite, dusting, vaccuming, etc. My friend came over to my room (for probably no real reason other than to just hang out), and I was just finishing up and was so proud of how great the room looked in a fit of excitement I exclaimed, " Look how room my clean is!"

To this day she laughs at the expression on my face. I was so excited and just kinda froze with this dumb smile after I said it knowing something was wrong but not quite what that was. Then we both started cracking up.

flagbabyds Collaborator

on the PSAT i said 3squared = 3

OMGGGGGGGGGGG so embarassing, when i get my test booklet back, and see thta i got that one wrong and it was marked easy, so i looked at the problem and am like OOOOOOOOOhhh S**T

I still got 210 on it (PSAT is not out of 1000s, but 100s, then i would have absolutely failed!)

Nantzie Collaborator

A couple weeks ago I got glutened. At the bottom of our stairway, we have a set of four lightswitches. The second one in is the one to turn on the light in our family room. So I went to go turn the light on. And it wasn't going on, but our hallway light was. I must have sat there messing with those switches for five minutes. The hallway light, the upstairs light and the ceiling fan were all going on, but not the family room light. I was getting SO mad (again, glutened). I was like great! Now I'm going to have to call a fricking electrician. Until finally I clicked the one switch I hadn't even touched because if I knew ANYTHING I knew it wasn't THAT one. And the light came on. It was the second one in, but the second one in from the right. I had been trying to click the second one in from the left.

What a moron. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Nancy

Kaycee Collaborator

Loved all your replies, I don't feel so alone.

I don't mean to tell tales, but I have a cute one on my mums behalf.

As we live on different islands, I get the usual birthday, christmas cards etc. I don't know what it is, but she will address my mail as Mrs Katherine Whoever, but on the card itself, she will call me Catherine! I can not understand this, but she gets it right half the time. Could it be because english is her second language? But then she named me. I am picking that Catherine in Yugoslav is predominantly spelled with a K. But it so cute and endearing, and so different. How many mums can't spell their childrens names correctly?

I guess i have inherited a silly gene from my mum.

Cathy

amybeth Enthusiast

Yesterday......digging through my purse so I could find my keys to let myself in the house......digging more....taking things out........finally decide they're in my bf's car, so I turn to go back, all annoyed with myself, so I turn in a "huffy" way, and hear the lovely jingle of my keychain dangling off of my pinky.

He realized they were there a few seconds before I did, though, and he was looking right at me, so I guess I'm not the only one.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Loved all your replies, I don't feel so alone.

I don't mean to tell tales, but I have a cute one on my mums behalf.

As we live on different islands, I get the usual birthday, christmas cards etc. I don't know what it is, but she will address my mail as Mrs Katherine Whoever, but on the card itself, she will call me Catherine! I can not understand this, but she gets it right half the time. Could it be because english is her second language? But then she named me. I am picking that Catherine in Yugoslav is predominantly spelled with a K. But it so cute and endearing, and so different. How many mums can't spell their childrens names correctly?

I guess i have inherited a silly gene from my mum.

Cathy

During the fall to summer season I teach a class, and you wouldn't believe how many parents I get who forget how to spell their kids names, and it's not just the dad's either, lots of mom's forget.

I have a kid, I still don't know if his name is D'wayne, Dewayne, or Dawane it's different on his shot record, his enrollment form, his b'day certificate and his social security card.

I know another little girl named Katharine who can't spell her name, she just can spell Katy and she is 9!! My 4 year old is named Kathryn and she can spell it, but I guess that's easier.

penguin Community Regular

I can't think of any for myself, although there are plenty, but there's a funny one from my mom.

On my 17th birthday, my mom forgot in true 16 candles fashion (not totally forgot, since we had a party at the weekend, but forgot to mention on the day). It's January and we're in Syracuse (170" of snow a year, anyone?). I used to wake my mom up to take me to school, and on that day, and only that day, I went to wake her up and she goes "f**k". Yay <_< . So she takes me to school and sends me on my merry way without saying happy birthday. By the time school was out, a big lake effect storm had come in and it was snowing pretty hard. I really didn't want to walk home (1.5 mi uphill) so I called my mom to come pick me up. She said, "I'm busy repapering Grandma's bathroom, take the bus" Well, by the time I got off the phone with her, the bus had left. So I had to walk home, in a huge storm, on my birthday. I was so livid when I got home, jeans soaked to my knees, hands frozen, an inch of snow in my hair. I went to my grandma's bathroom where my mom was working and said, "DON'T YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY TO ME???" She was like, "Oh! Happy birthday!!" :lol:

It's still a huge family joke.

And for the next two years, she called a day early thinking she had forgotten to call! :lol:

nettiebeads Apprentice
Yesterday......digging through my purse so I could find my keys to let myself in the house......digging more....taking things out........finally decide they're in my bf's car, so I turn to go back, all annoyed with myself, so I turn in a "huffy" way, and hear the lovely jingle of my keychain dangling off of my pinky.

He realized they were there a few seconds before I did, though, and he was looking right at me, so I guess I'm not the only one.

I'm experiencing one myself - I've LOST my work keys!!!!! I think I got glutened this past weekend, had the runs like crazy Sun a.m. (couldn't go to church) and have been dead tired fatigued since. Yesterday afternoon I barely made it through work; bought stamps, mailed one letter, came home and crashed. This a.m. NO WORK KEYS! :o I have no friggin' clue where they are!!!! Not in my purse, not in my office, not in my car, not where I bought the stamps, not in the house ---- I'm going crazy (or -ier as the case may be) I am a blank as to yesterday and last night. All I know is the two things I did afterwork and then coming home and sleeping for an hour. (at least I can blame the celiac) :(:(:(

Kaycee Collaborator

You didn't post your keys did you?

The more I read, the more I realise that blaming lapses in thinking or sanity, can be blamed on celiac.

Cathy

gfp Enthusiast

Once on a camping/cycling holiday in France before I lived here I stopped with my ex in Saumur in the Loire valley. We had a wonderful day and got back to the car in order to drive to the next campsite and decided to rearrange the locks and things which held the bikes to the cycle rack. We had partially used the locks as extra tie-downs to hold the bikes firmly and when travelling short distances we just put the bokies on but if going further/faster in the car we would partially dismantle the bikes to make for less resistance.

Well I opened the lock which was under pressure and the keys flew off like they were launched from a cannon... they keyring came apart and the keys scattered....

We spent 2 hours looking frantically for the car key. We had people helping and we looked everywhere including the roof of the winnibago parked nearby and this guy in black who was part of the famous horse guard helped and everything... We looked under cars, over cars and found all the keys except the car key which was locked, deadlockled and immobilised....

After a good 2 hours and 10 people all helping I looked in my pocket and found... the car key... I'd obviously picked it up first and stuck it in my pocket.... I went a rather deep shade of red

dlp252 Apprentice

Oh, speaking of keys--brings to mind another one:

Many years ago, I was riding down the elevator in the building I lived in. I dropped my keys, which took once bounce (who knew keys bounced), and then went right down the crack where the elevator shaft is. I had to call the building manager who had to send out an elevator guy to go down into the shaft and get my keys out.

corinne Apprentice

I lost my lab notebook this week and it has three years of work recorded in it. I have looked EVERYWHERE for it. I am finishing up my job in two months and my boss wants to go through it. Of course I haven't made copies of it. So I'm in a total panic. So far I have managed to evade my boss. I'm hoping I can find my book before my boss finds me. :blink:

CarlaB Enthusiast

I went to Starbucks with some of my kids and used my MasterCard to pay for the drinks. My son went next door to get his haircut so I gave him my MasterCard, immediately stood up to go buy a couple more kids drinks. I went to get my MasterCard and told the clerk that I must not have gotten it back a few minutes before when I bought drinks. We were all looking around for it when I realized I had given it to my son.

Archived