This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Is Kissing Gluten Free?

Katie O'Rourke

Katie O'Rourke Rookie

Hiya. Im actually 22, and from the UK, but havent been diagnosed very long and thought you guys may be able to help me out. Do you know if it is safe to kiss guys who have eaten gluten? And if not, is there a certain amount of time you have to wait before you can kiss them? Please help, thanks x :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
Hiya. Im actually 22, and from the UK, but havent been diagnosed very long and thought you guys may be able to help me out. Do you know if it is safe to kiss guys who have eaten gluten? And if not, is there a certain amount of time you have to wait before you can kiss them? Please help, thanks x :)

Have a friend take a big bite out of a loaf of bread, chew it, and swallow. Then go look at their mouth closely. Look around the lips - you'll likely see a few crumbs. Look inside the mouth and around the teeth - you'll likely see some residue.

Immediately after eating gluten - the consensus seems to be that it's really not a great idea.

There's no scientifically studied amount of time to wait before kissing them. I'd advise asking them to brush their teeth. Baring that, I find waiting an hour or two, assuming that includes drinking non-gluten beverages to help rinse out the mouth, is fine for me.

Katie O'Rourke Rookie
Have a friend take a big bite out of a loaf of bread, chew it, and swallow. Then go look at their mouth closely. Look around the lips - you'll likely see a few crumbs. Look inside the mouth and around the teeth - you'll likely see some residue.

Immediately after eating gluten - the consensus seems to be that it's really not a great idea.

There's no scientifically studied amount of time to wait before kissing them. I'd advise asking them to brush their teeth. Baring that, I find waiting an hour or two, assuming that includes drinking non-gluten beverages to help rinse out the mouth, is fine for me.

Cool, thanks very much for you help :)

kabowman Explorer

I kiss much less now and nothing deep. Personal choice. I do kiss but never while he is drinking or eating somethink I can't have but if he hasn't eaten or drank anything I can't have for a while and has drank plain water or tea, then I will kiss him lightly. He lives with it, I live with it. He knows how sick I can get and sometimes we just can't figure out how--maybe it is that, maybe it isn't but I don't like to take those chances. My hubby understands.

CarlaB Enthusiast

When that whole thing about the girl with the peanut allergy died was on the news (you probably didn't hear in the UK), it was determined by the coroner that she did not die of kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut butter sandwich 9 hours earlier. They said in the article that I read that they have actually tested, if you can believe that, and found that after 1 hour no allergens remain in the mouth. Maybe that's because the mouth always has a new supply of saliva. At any rate, according to the article, an hour is safe. My husband eats gluten-free when we're on a date ... but at other times, I make him brush his teeth. I'm not giving up kissing, too, giving up gluten was hard enough!! :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I have been glutened by kissing so I am one to say its not a good idea right away. I like the guy to drink something I know is gluten free a little bit before kissing me to get some of that residue down. Its a personal choice though.

CarlaB Enthusiast

One time my hubby came home from out of town and gave me a big smooch. I jumped back, startled and said, "What did you eat!" This was very soon after going gluten-free, so he had just forgotten and kissed me after eating a sub. I washed out my mouth in the kitchen sink, then went upstairs and brushed it really, really good. I ended up being okay. I definately could taste the bread, so I would be sure not to kiss right after someone ate gluten.

My husband is clean-shaven, what do those of you who have boyfriends/husbands who have facial hair do about possible crumbs?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
My husband is clean-shaven, what do those of you who have boyfriends/husbands who have facial hair do about possible crumbs?

My husband has a beard and mustache--he's very neat, and it's never been a problem ;)

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
One time my hubby came home from out of town and gave me a big smooch. I jumped back, startled and said, "What did you eat!" This was very soon after going gluten-free, so he had just forgotten and kissed me after eating a sub. I washed out my mouth in the kitchen sink, then went upstairs and brushed it really, really good. I ended up being okay. I definately could taste the bread, so I would be sure not to kiss right after someone ate gluten.

hubby had a full beard, and he would keep it pretty clean, he recently shaved for summer though, so I don't know. He is pretty good about brushing his teeth after eating anyway, so I haven't had to worry about that.

kabowman Explorer

Hubby has a mustach and I always tell him when it has food - he keeps it clean now and keeps threatening to shave it off for the summer. One of these days I will come home from work after he has taken an afternoon off and it will be gone!!! I just don't think he will look right without it.

nettiebeads Apprentice

I think of it as an extended safe sex approach. My hubby and I always pause before kissing thinking "safe?"

I'll wait until he goes and brushes his teeth before I kiss him if he's eaten anything with gluten. Or drank out of his water bottles that he refills but doesn't wash - CC!!!!

It's SUCH a pain, but whatcha gonna do?

Annette

tarnalberry Community Regular
I think of it as an extended safe sex approach. My hubby and I always pause before kissing thinking "safe?"

I'll wait until he goes and brushes his teeth before I kiss him if he's eaten anything with gluten. Or drank out of his water bottles that he refills but doesn't wash - CC!!!!

It's SUCH a pain, but whatcha gonna do?

Annette

Yep, I won't share a beverage with him if he has any after eating something with gluten. I'm sure coworkers think it's weird when I go up to his desk, and ask "Is your gatorade safe?" with a hand motion of going to pick it up, but backwash exists, and his breakfast is a granola bar!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

On the drink note, I usually bring water with me everywhere and my friends have learned that they have to "birdie" drink (pouring without letting the water bottle touch them) if they want some. I have only had to mention it once and it's worked out well.

watchthestars Rookie

funny, i was just talking about this with my boyfriend today. while i drink new grist, he'll drink normal beer and then *uh oh*...gluten kiss! luckily i'm not sensitive enough to react to this. like others have said, kissing a glutenated mouth is a personal choice. it depends on how sensitive you are and if you are willing to take the risk.

Guest nini

I've gotten glutened from kissing hubby before... I tend to not kiss as much now simply from fear of cc... and I panic when he wants to share a beverage especially if he's been eating lots of gluten. I do think he minds, but too bad, I can't afford to get sick from kissing. If he's brushed his teeth and used mouthwash then I relax more, but for the most part, no kissing or closed mouth kissing...

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'm not willing to cut back on the kissing!!!! :lol: I have him brush and have never been glutened. He's happy to comply. If he comes home and has had gluten, he'll cover his mouth with his hand, go upstairs and brush, then come back and kiss me. Yes, after 21 years of marriage, we are still able to embarrass our children with our displays of affection.

munchkinette Collaborator

I doubt this is wheat related, but I am allergic to boys! I was in a long distance relationship with my ex for the first 8 months we were together. (5 years total.) I only saw him once a month during that time, and my face would freak out from all the oil in his skin. I got all these little red bumps, and a few were like little pimples. It happened every time! When we lived together it never happened, I guess because I built up a tolerance.

It wasn't just him. Pretty much every guy I've dated has done that. (I have that right now from my last date!) The only difference was that I built up the tolerance to my ex.

So it is totally possible to react from skin, whether it is because of wheat, skin lotions, cologne, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ChloeB

I don't think you can kiss them because if my dad eats gluten then my mom can't kiss him or else she gets really sick. so if you have a BF and he eats gluten then if I were you I wouldn't kiss right after he ate gluten.

-chloe!

CarlaB Enthusiast

ROFL :lol::lol::lol: My own daughter reading my posts about kissing!!!! If I had only known ... hope she doesn't find that other thread about anniversary gifts! ;)

penguin Community Regular
ROFL :lol::lol::lol: My own daughter reading my posts about kissing!!!! If I had only known ... hope she doesn't find that other thread about anniversary gifts! ;)

Eep! :ph34r:

We can hope it goes over her head...

Nadtorious Rookie

I've always used the excuse "I've been sick" to keep people out of my water, but sometimes I wonder if they're catching on :blink:

I've never gotten sick from kissing my bf, even a couple minutes after he's had a beer. I thought I was the only one who did the "are you safe?" check before kissing him-to which he usually responds with an eye roll.

Nadia

CarlaB Enthusiast

I've never been willing to share water. I just say, "I don't share water, not even with my husband, yuck, backwash" and make an icky face. Since it's only friends who would ask, they understand. I don't think anyone really LIKES to share bottled water anyway. If it's a situation where it's hot out and there is nothing for them to drink and no where to get water, of course, I'll share, but that's usually not the case.

• 4 years later...
Josiah14 Newbie

It's not safe. It sounds to me like the posters here have varying degrees of physical reactions to gluten. I've been gluten'd 3 times from kissing my fiancee. I make her brush her teeth and rinse with mouthwash after we've been eating out, now, and then wait another 2 hours (just to be certain enough time has been given for the saliva to break down any gluten) with her not eating anything and drinking only gluten-free. It's not an issue if we eat in because there normally isn't any gluten in my house and I don't often eat at her place.

I also just figured out my allergy to gluten, and it is a learning process discovering what is prohibited. I'm blessed to have a clear physical reaction to even a small amount, now (some Celiacs can go the majority of their lives with mild symptoms and then end up really sick later in life), so I know within 24 hours if I've eaten anything that's come into contact with gluten.

Yesterday evening, I was served a dish which had bread on the edge of the plate, barely touching my food. The rest of the food was gluten-free. I removed the food that had touched the bread, wiped down the part of the plate that had touched the bread with a napkin, and tried eating the rest of my dinner. This morning I got mildly sick (compared to if I eat a spaghetti noodle and stay sick for 3 days). Thats what my intolerance is like; I know not to try that again.

My advice, if you're Celiac, don't kiss any mouth which has had recent contact with gluten. If you aren't sure, better safe than sorry.

GF BRO Newbie

This is a big issue, especially for a single guy (or girl) in college. Its pretty awkward having to bring up Celiac when talking to someone at a club or bar. I haven't noticed any issues but I will have to be more aware of something like this in the future if I feel sick.

Eilidh Newbie

Yeah, its definitely an awkward subject to bring up with someone your about to kiss. I have gotten sick from kissing guys after they have eaten gluten, though my symptoms usually come later...like in the next few days. Where as, if I eat gluten myself, or get CC, then I get sick within a few hours.

Partying is the worst. I have gotten sick many times because I have forgotten that, just because I don't drink beer, doesn't mean that they don't. The only thing that works for me is getting the guy to brush their teeth before they kiss me.

It is a bit of a hassle and kinda awkward at times, but a bit of a hassle is better then not kissing at all. :D

Archived