This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pre-biopsy

EddieJP125

EddieJP125 Explorer

this friday is my biopsy...i have been on a gluten free diet for the past 1-2 weeks...i am also aware that gluten-free diet helps your body immediatly...should begin, like now till friday, eat some gluten foods, so that it would show up better for the biopsy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

It is my understanding that you should remain on gluten until all testing is complete. When you were dx through blood work did your doctor not tell you this?

I think 2 weeks is enough time for some healing to begin in your villi so I don't know if the next couple of days would make a difference or not. In a lot of cases people are on gluten during testing and their biopsy and blood work still comes back negative.

I hope you are feeling better on the gluten-free diet!

khyricat Rookie

I have to schedule my biopsy later this week (not sure when it will happen yet.) I was told to wait to start removing gluten until AFTER the biopsy.. if anything to OD on gluten containing products in the meanwhile to make sure the damage is clearly visible...

EddieJP125 Explorer
When you were dx through blood work did your doctor not tell you this?

no he didn't tell me anything, so i'm goin to call him today and see wat he says...maybe i will OD in gluten food, or drinks like...BEER!!!

oh i hope i can for the pre biopsy...hehehe

hapi2bgf Contributor

I would make sure to have a gluten fest prior to the biopsy. Load up on all the bread, pasta, beer, etc you can handle and good luck on your test. My last meal was a pizza buffet at a fantastic Mom & Pop pizza shop. Just make sure you have enough gluten in your system to really see what is going on. However, since you have been off gluten your test may still come back inconclusive.

EddieJP125 Explorer
I would make sure to have a gluten fest prior to the biopsy. Load up on all the bread, pasta, beer, etc you can handle and good luck on your test. My last meal was a pizza buffet at a fantastic Mom & Pop pizza shop. Just make sure you have enough gluten in your system to really see what is going on. However, since you have been off gluten your test may still come back inconclusive.

just found out from my dr that i shouldn't eat anything gluten...= (

now i'm even more depressed

i wish i read your reply first hapi2bgf, before i spoke to my dr.

khyricat Rookie

that confuses me, I was told if I went gluten free and reduced gluten intake before the biopsy there was a large chance of a false negative as my body would start healing. She told me to actually gluten load, to both get it out of my system if I do have celiacs and to make the damage more obvious for the biopsy. Then I am to go gluten free and hope it heals, future biopsies will compare to this, so if I start gluten free first they won't know what it looked like at the worst.

Amie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I personally think you should be eating gluten up until the biopsy, but if you've been gluten-free for just a couple of weeks, any damage will not have healed completely.

richard

celiac3270 Collaborator

You are supposed to maintain a regular gluten-filled diet (or more gluten-filled if you wish)....

Archived