This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tasty Commercial Bread?

NYC

NYC Newbie

My father, a bread lover, has been diagnosed with celiac.

Can anyone recommend a tasty brand of gluten-free bread?

Thank you.

Neal

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

I like the bread from Open Original Shared Link , their bread, bagels, english muffins and cinnamon buns are AWESOME!!!!!

Guest Libbyk

I LOVE the bread from Food for Life, a company out of california. I special order it by the case (6 loaves) in oregon, and my health food store in northern WA carries it life anything else. My favorite is the Black China Rice type, but they have 6 or 7 different varieties. I love it, and I never liked "normal" bread in teh first place.

Lib

celiac3270 Collaborator

Hi,

I've heard Kinnikinninick is the best...from practically every Celiac...I've never tried it. However, if your father wants something that tastes just like the regular white bread you can get in a store, try the Ener-G white rice loaf. If you want a good raisin bread, Glutino makes a "corn bread with raisins". This does not mean that it tastes like corn, but rather, the bread is made using a corn flour, rather than a wheat flour, or some other kind...it's pretty good.

For other things: I mention this to everyone because I don't want anybody to miss out on it: first off, if he would like a really good pizza (which is pretty easy to make and doesn't require many ingredients), try Chebe, which can be ordered at Open Original Shared Link. It's amazing....PM or e-mail me if you want more details. Closer to the topic, bread, try anything made by "Foods By George". They make brownies that taste just like the regular ones and are really good heated up with a scoop of icecream (Haggen-Dasz...stick with the normal flavor....strawberry, vanilla, chocolate....and it's gluten-free). Even better, try their corn muffins...really good heated up with butter. I also have a decent bagel...it doesn't look normal, and doesn't taste the same at first, but it's kept me, one who ate bagels every morning for breakfast for 6 years, relatively satisfied...although I now eat corn muffins for breakfast instead. This isn't all on bread, so just pick out what is helpful to you....good luck.

-celiac3270

burdee Enthusiast

I second celiac3270's suggestion about Ener-G Foods breads. They have the best gluten-free assortment of breads to appeal to all gluten free tastes. Celiacs who have 'Wonderbread' preferences love the Energ-G Foods light Rice and other 'just like white' breads. There's even a low carb version (but lowcarb bread seems like an oxymoron to me :lol: ). I prefer heavier breads, like stone ground whole wheat breads filled with nuts and seeds--that's what I missed when I first when gluten free. Fortunately EGF has 2 great 'heavier' breads which are very close to my former stone ground whole wheat favorites: 'Harvest' and 'Seattle Brown'. I also LOVE EGF's granola bars, white chocolate chip cookies and sweet potato English muffins. For anyone who misses thick, hot cereal like oatmeal, EGF's Rice Bran cereal (combined with Quinoa flakes cereal) makes a very hearty 'closest to oatmeal' hot cereal. I also love how the owner gives away SOOO many freebies when I send my nonceliac husband to pick up breads and cookies from her. I send him for 2 loaves of bread and he comes back with 2 free loaves and 2 free packages of cookies, plus all the free samples he can eat hand to mouth. (Maybe I should worry about those two?? :huh: ) EGF's products has convinced him to go gluten free with me, when he finishes all the 'unsafe' foods in our house. Best of all EGF is local which almost makes Seattle's rainy, dreary winters worth enduring, so Ener-G Foods breads and pastries are a short drive away. But they also have some great internet order specials and package deals for nonSeattlites. :D

dkmb Newbie

My vote is for the Food For Life breads, but then we haven't tried all brands. Both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's carry them. Whole Foods keep it in the refrigerator section which I like. My granddaughter likes the Brown Rice Bread toasted for breakfast. This brand is also carried by health food stores in our area.

DK

burdee Enthusiast

I like Food for Life breads, too, esp. the Rice Pecan variety. That brand actually withstands freezing and thawing better than the Ener-G Foods breads (which get drier after freezing/thawing, but 'freshen up' after a few seconds in the microwave). However EGF breads come in their vacuum pack sealed wrap which make their breads storeable for up to a year on the shelf at room temperature. Those of you who order in bulk and don't have lots of freezer space to store breads might like that. :) So between FFL Rice Pecan and EGF Harvest, I like both equally well. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NYC Newbie

Thank you all for your recommendations.

I will pass them along and report back on the results.

Neal

Archived