This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Biscuit Recipe

mac3

mac3 Apprentice

Before my daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease, one of my favorite things to make was assorted biscuits. In all my cooking adventures, research, and cookbook buying-frenzies, I have yet to find a GOOD gluten-free biscuit recipe. Everything - in comparison to my old recipes - tastes terrible. Does anyone out there have a really good, tried-and-true, gluten-free biscuit recipe that you could share? I would greatly appreciate it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

I use Pamela's mix to make biscuits a lot. I haven't had a "real" biscuit in ages, so I may have forgotten what they taste like, but I like this recipe a lot and make them quite often.

2 1/2 Cups Pamela's

3/4 Cup butter

2/3 Cup milk

It makes about 7-8 biscuits, depending on how large you make them. I also flatten them a bit before baking them. Bake on 400 for about 8-10 minutes.

I hope you like them! I've used Cause You're Special's mix for biscuits and found it to be pretty horrible. This is the only other recipe I've used. Good luck!

queenofhearts Explorer

My family gobbled these up (adapted from an old family recipe):

1 cup rice flour

1/2 c. potato starch

1/4 c. tapioca flour

3/4 tsp. xanthan gum

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick)-- cold

2 Tablesp. shortening such as Crisco

3/4 c. (or slightly more) buttermilk

Sift the dry ingredients & mix them thoroughly. Cut in the butter & shortening. Mix in buttermilk as gently as possible. Dough should be moist & slightly sticky so add more if necessary, a little at a time.

Roll out about 3/4" thick between sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill until solid enough to cut. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut with a floured cutter. Brush tops with cream if desired for a golden color. Bake 12-15 minutes for small cutter, longer if larger cutters used. The biscuits should be very light brown on bottoms, light golden on top (if wash is used). Don't overbake or they will be dry.

Hope they do the job for your gang!

Leah

Guest nini

I just buy 1-2-3 Gluten Free Southern Glory Biscuit Mix... works for me.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Thanks so much for the recipe--I've printed it out and will try it!

TCA Contributor

I like the Cause You're Special Hearty Biscuit Mix. It's really good and my son loves them. I even make them up and cut them out, then freeze them on the pan. After they're frozen, I put them in ziplock bags and can take 1 or 2 out to bake. It worked really good. Who says we can't have convenience? :P

Katydid Apprentice

I, too, was a miserable failure at biscuits. No matter what recipe I used, they turned out like hockey pucks. Then I stumbled upon 123 Gluten Free Biscuits. I absolutely could not believe how wonderful these biscuits are. I bake something everyday for my gluten free husband so I'm no stranger to the kitchen; but there is no way I will ever go back to baking biscuits from scratch when I can use this wonderful mix. They turn out great very time.

If you can't find locally, they are well worth ordering online.

Kay

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeGirlie Rookie

I posted this recipe a few weeks ago. It's from the Bob's Red Mill site. It uses coconut flour and rice flour, but the biscuits are out of this world- flakey, soft, creamy! PLUS they don't taste like coconut, so they would be good for any recipe. I found the flour at a local store, but you might have to order it direct. I would try finding it local first. Here it is again:

Coconut Country Biscuits

Ingredients:

3/4 c. White Rice Flour

1/4 c. Organic Coconut Flour

2 Tbsp. Potato Starch

1 tsp. Sugar

1 Tbsp. Baking Powder

1/4 tsp. Sea Salt

1/4 c. Butter

1/2 c. Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Combine dry ingredients. Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles small peas. Stir in buttermilk to form soft dough. Place mixture on top of wax paper and press to 1" thickness. Cut with 2" biscuit cutter and place on greased baking sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Yields about 9 biscuits.

mac3 Apprentice

Wow! Sounds like I'll need to spend a couple of days in the kitchen to try everything out. One recipe that I made called for olive oil as the fat...truly terrible! The coconut ones sound good...I don't think I've seen coconut flour though in the store...but I've ordered quite a bit on-line.

Another question...what's the difference between regular salt and sea salt? I see sea salt (that's a mouthful!!) in quite a few recipes.

Guest nini

Bob's Red Mill just came out with a gluten-free coconut flour...I was given a sample of it to try by the rep. but I haven't tried it yet since I've had bad luck with cc before from Bob's Red Mill

the difference between sea salt and regular salt primarily is in the texture. sea salt is a little coarser and bigger... regular salt is usually iodized and ground finer.

• 2 months later...
oceangirl Collaborator
Bob's Red Mill just came out with a gluten-free coconut flour...I was given a sample of it to try by the rep. but I haven't tried it yet since I've had bad luck with cc before from Bob's Red Mill

the difference between sea salt and regular salt primarily is in the texture. sea salt is a little coarser and bigger... regular salt is usually iodized and ground finer.

Leah and everyone

Thank you so much for the biscuit recipe and others for the other ideas! When I get brave, I may try them out. Still just eating fish, meat, veggies and fruits- some rice milk and rice krispies. I'm not daring because I still have some symptoms and I seem sensitive to SO much!!! Oh well... it's much better than it was. Be well everyone!

lisa

queenofhearts Explorer
Leah and everyone

Thank you so much for the biscuit recipe and others for the other ideas! When I get brave, I may try them out. Still just eating fish, meat, veggies and fruits- some rice milk and rice krispies. I'm not daring because I still have some symptoms and I seem sensitive to SO much!!! Oh well... it's much better than it was. Be well everyone!

lisa

I trust you're not taling about Rice Krispies brand-- the gluten-free kind, I hope!?

Leah

FrostyFriday Rookie
I posted this recipe a few weeks ago. It's from the Bob's Red Mill site. It uses coconut flour and rice flour, but the biscuits are out of this world- flakey, soft, creamy! PLUS they don't taste like coconut, so they would be good for any recipe. I found the flour at a local store, but you might have to order it direct. I would try finding it local first. Here it is again:

Coconut Country Biscuits

Ingredients:

3/4 c. White Rice Flour

2 Tbsp. Potato Starch

1 tsp. Sugar

1 Tbsp. Baking Powder

1/4 tsp. Sea Salt

1/4 c. Butter

1/2 c. Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Combine dry ingredients. Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles small peas. Stir in buttermilk to form soft dough. Place mixture on top of wax paper and press to 1" thickness. Cut with 2" biscuit cutter and place on greased baking sheet.

What can you use instead of coconut flour?

• 5 years later...
lemontree1 Rookie

Coconut Country Biscuits

Ingredients:

3/4 c. White Rice Flour

2 Tbsp. Potato Starch

1 tsp. Sugar

1 Tbsp. Baking Powder

1/4 tsp. Sea Salt

1/4 c. Butter

1/2 c. Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450°F.

We made these for dinner last night (with sausage gravy). My daughter microwaved the butter to a liquid, so they were more like drop biscuits and looked more like cookies than biscuits. :) We didn't have any coconut flour, so I used unsweetened coconut. The flavor was very coconut, but other than that, very, very yummy. I think, doing it again, I'd just have to use more rice flour and leave out the coconut.-- Oh, I also left out the starch, because I prefer less starch and more whole foods in my diet. And honey instead of sugar. I made a double batch and my family ate them all and were looking for more! This is definitely a keeper recipe (even though I can't help a little tweaking).

Archived